At what point do fans start to question CPR?

CycloneDSM

Sep 30, 2012
DSM
It is year 4 of the program and it is clear we are at least a couple of years out from having a decent QB.

I see lots of threads questioning/wanting to fire the QB Coach, OC and the O-Line head man.

Who hired these people? Who put them into place?

When is the annual "upset special" not good enough anymore?

I am not saying fire CPR....but the last couple of weeks have brought questions up regarding leadership and the decisions being made at the top. Disturbing to say the least. Right now there is no light at the end of the tunnel QB wise. If Richardson was the answer...he would have been in awhile ago.

This year most likely be remembered for a decent D that was wasted by not having a developed QB. Another 5-7, 6-6 season.

Hopefully fans will show up this week (I will be there cheering) and we will get a win against Baylor.

Forgot to type (prepares for backlash).

Right on Brother..this will Not Stand anymore.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We have a lot of stupid fans...

"Lets fire everyone"

Yeah smart idea guys... Fun following former players on twitter last night, and seeing them laugh at all the arm chair coaches that want coaches fired. Even they can't believe how ridiculous some of you guys have got.

We had a great line the last couple years. We have one bad year and now fire the coach.

Hate to see the venom spewed if the Mayor doesn't get us to the NCAA tourney some year..

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Right on Brother..this will Not Stand anymore.

Are you still wearing Rose Colored Glasses? Wake up and smell the bad coffee CPR is making.

Seriously, stop now... You sound like a Hawk fan. Lets chase away the best thing we have had going for us in football huh. Sure we can hire chiz or Danny back after this season.

Fans like you are the worse.. Please leave now

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems. This anemic offense managed to score more points against a much better defense in K State, than they did a much worse defense in OSU. It goes against logic that something like that would happen, but everything managed to go wrong yesterday, with the exception of the first drive. I was pretty frustrated yesterday, and even stopped watching for a bit once apathy set in, but after cooling off I have faith that CPR will right the ship and get us back on track at Baylor this Saturday. When things go as wrong as they did yesterday, ultimately the buck stops with him, and he'll take full responsibility for it, but at the end of the day he's the best guy to lead this program.
We have no answers when we have a blitz on since Rutgers game. The OC needs to address this issue.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
May I humbly ask when the last time it was that we were actually ranked in the top 25 in the BCS? So we lost a game. It happens. This team is also just as close to having 5 or 6 wins already. The teams that we've lost to were or are all top 25 teams. We have an incredibly tough schedule this year. If we go to a bowl game I would say that CPR has pulled off quite the miracle considering the past oh... 60 years or so of Cyclone football. I like the players that we have now and I think that with these guys we can go places. Young folks are very momentum driven. Let's stand behind these players and help them make this into a season to remember. It is clearly not too late.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
most likely....but that is what boards are for. Along with posting about Duck Dynasty.
Duck Dynasty is great. Si makes the show.
images

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I'm sorry, but no. I think you are wrong. We have the same exact QBs that we had last year when we won against OSU. Our QB last year had the same accuracy issues and essentially the same targets to throw to. But Herman put together a better game plan on how to attack OSUs D. Mess has yet to understand the finer points of game plans.

Do you remember the Bowl game last year? The team had same issus during that game as they do now. Last years team average 212 yards passing a game, this years team averages 205 Last years team averaged 23 points a game this years averages 24.

Barnett was 19-39 vs OSU this year, prob 5 of those passes were flat out bad and stupid throws, prob another 5 were under thrown. Complete half of those and it is a different game. Hell there is 4 he completed that if he would have placed better would have went for bigger yards and not killed drives. WRs are open, he has had time to throw but cannot complete the passes.

Last year people wanted Herman to be fired, before that they wanted McFarland to be fired, before that they wanted Cotton to be fired, before that they wanted Fine to be fired (which he wasnt a good fit), people even wanted Loney to be fired.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yeah our QB's are a problem with the offense, but they aren't they only problem. Teams can score and win with mediocre QB's. You can make a bad to mediocre QB look great with good RB's and OL play. The problem is widespread with our offense, and imo it mostly comes down to line play. We have the same QB's, same RB's, same WR's, same coordinators and position coaches, and same center. The only changes to our offense? The guards and tackles. We get poor pass protection, and poor run penetration. We get poor drops by WR and poor throws by the QB when we DO manage to get pass protection. IMO it all starts with the line coaches and leads up to Mess, and CPR.

You cannot win with bad QB play. When these QBs are given time they cannot complete easy throws. When you cannot pass the ball you make it too easy for teams to stop the run.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What do you mean, "start"? What do you think calling for everybody's head is but second-guessing the man who has made great strides with this program? Good grief, I could swear that we just upset the #13 team in the country--on their home turf!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We are in year 4 of a coaching staff who has had the misfortune of coming into an incredibly strong conference. He's already made it to 2 bowl games and has had more memorable victorties in 3.5 years than I have seen in the previous 29 years of my life.

Maybe if Rhoads doesn't win a game until NEXT Novemeber I will start to question him, but until then he can do whatever the hell he wants. He has earned my trust and my support.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Hell no. I question the OC and Oline coach that is it I know who hired them, but we have no threat at qb and the line is struggling. Paul Rhoads is the best coach for this program and looking back he has done one hell of a job at Iowa State and so has Jamie Pollard. Do I think there needs to be a change on offense whatever it might be? yes. Coach Rhoads is not even fully through year four yet and it is going to take longer to get this ship righted to its fullest potential because of past history and the way the public eye mostly sees ISU.

It has gotten a hell of a lot better these past 3 1/2 yrs and will get better with that new kick *** facility set to open soon and then bowling the SEZ, shoot we are looking good guys, just needs a better offense and whatever that takes only the coach knows I voiced my opinion which means nothing, but I fully trust our head coach!!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
What do you mean, "start"? What do you think calling for everybody's head is but second-guessing the man who has made great strides with this program? Good grief, I could swear that we just upset the #13 team in the country--on their home turf!
Did you watch the game at all?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Rhoads isn't going to fire the OC mid season.

Lets wait and see what happens. Mess has show the ability to watch film, and develop an excellent plan for attacking defenses at the start of the game. What he sucks at (and REALLY sucks at) is adjusting from that point.

Why are we throwing the ball 70% of the time? I realize our run blocking is poor, but we aren't even giving the run game a chance. Why did Jeff Woody and DeVondrick Nealy combine for 3 carries yesterday? Those two need 20 carries between them. We are not even trying to establish the run game. Go down 7 and start chucking the ball.

If the poor offense continues, and Rhoads does nothing in the off-season, I will be worried, but far from jumping off the cliff.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Not saying mid season, but he needs questioned for sure. I said he had a good first drive plays, but when the D adjust he does not. He needs to adjust as well which does not seem to happen and we desperately need a run game. Two back sets, pistol, option?

Help Support Us

Become a patron