At what point do fans start to question CPR?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
It is year 4 of the program and it is clear we are at least a couple of years out from having a decent QB.

I see lots of threads questioning/wanting to fire the QB Coach, OC and the O-Line head man.

Who hired these people? Who put them into place?

When is the annual "upset special" not good enough anymore?

I am not saying fire CPR....but the last couple of weeks have brought questions up regarding leadership and the decisions being made at the top. Disturbing to say the least. Right now there is no light at the end of the tunnel QB wise. If Richardson was the answer...he would have been in awhile ago.

This year most likely be remembered for a decent D that was wasted by not having a developed QB. Another 5-7, 6-6 season.

Hopefully fans will show up this week (I will be there cheering) and we will get a win against Baylor.

Forgot to type (prepares for backlash).

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
CPR is as good as we'll probably ever get frankly. We're not going to u

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I don't question CPR at all. I do think our offensive philosophy has been a huge failure the last 4 years and needs to be changed in the offseason. Over the last 4 years we've always been near or at the bottom of the Big 12 in offense and that's unacceptable.

I would be a little frustrated with CPR if he didn't make a change with the OC after the season. I have to believe he's as frustrated with it as most of us are. We gave the Herman/Mess offense a fair shot and it failed miserably.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
CPR is as good as we'll probably ever get frankly. We're not going to upgrade our HC position. ISU is in a very difficult spot to do much better than .500 in a big boy football league like the B12

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
CPR is as good as we'll probably ever get frankly. We're not going to upgrade our HC position. ISU is in a very difficult spot to do much better than .500 in a big boy football league like the B12

I think that is what I am coming to grips with....

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We need to keep Paul Rhoads for as long as we can IMO.

Having said that, the buck does stop at the top. I think it is his responsibility, for what he gets paid by this university, to have to explain why his offenses have been near the bottom of all of college football since he's been here?

As with anyone's job, we all have the responsibility to explain why the job isn't getting done when it isn't.

Rhoads and Mess both stated before the season that we were going to be a run dominant team. So, why have we not been able to run the ball at all? And why have our QB's gotten worse instead of getting better?

There are some questions that the paying fans deserve answers to IMO. Unless, that is, we just assume every year that the best we'll ever be able to do is win some non-conference games and a couple Big 12 games, finish at .500 and go to a meaningless bowl game. Is that our ceiling?

Because if it is, then fine, tell us that's the goal every year. Then us fans wouldn't expect us to actually improve from year to year and have an offense that can move the ball and score points.

isudoc03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2006
I will question him when we are unable to compete with teams in the conference and/or when our players do not play hard. I expect to be competitive in the conference with a chance of winning football games. Although our records under Rhoads have been around .500 the difference with his teams compared to previous coaches' teams is that we have shown improvement with our ability to compete with teams. He has yet to coach a game that did not have potential bowl implications. Remember it was only 4 years ago that we didn't win any conference games. We have 3 losses this year. One week ago we were in position to beat the #5-6 team in the nation and it wasn't because of fluke turnovers or weather it was because we were head to head competitive with them.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I can say that I do enjoy still being optimistic every Saturday regardless of who we're playing. It's much better knowing that you can beat anyone on your schedule any given day and you're going to be in most games til the end.

Most of us will remember several decades in a row where we were physically manhandled right from the start most days.

I can live with .500 and an upset or two each year.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
I think CPR is a great coach, and the perfect fit for ISU. Doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws. It's natural to question the direction of the program, especially after how the offense has looked in three out of the last four games.

So yeah, I think he's made a couple mistakes as head coach. But I'm not anywhere near questioning his vision for ISU or his coaching ability. It would take a complete McCarney-esque 2003-meltdown for me to start doubting Rhoads.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I don't question CPR at all. I do think our offensive philosophy has been a huge failure the last 4 years and needs to be changed in the offseason. Over the last 4 years we've always been near or at the bottom of the Big 12 in offense and that's unacceptable.

I would be a little frustrated with CPR if he didn't make a change with the OC after the season. I have to believe he's as frustrated with it as most of us are. We gave the Herman/Mess offense a fair shot and it failed miserably.

The "Messingham" system didn't cause 40 drops in 2 weeks. its execution. And right now nothing on offense is executing. The line play is not where it was last year and its showing. That could be some on the coaching, but horrible off target throws and when they are on target the massive amt of drops are not something that the coaches can control. We all knew this was going to be a rough year on offense and it is showing. I won't look for coaching changes until the skill level goes up and the depth stays solid. Next yr might be a rough year on D, but thats easier to fix when you have a coach with a defensive background.

Its always going to be harder to hide definciencies in the offense for us until we find an offense minded "CPR type" Lets just remember Barnett only has less than a seasons worth of starts under his belt. I think he will make a lot of the critics eat their words. Unfortunately its not a constant this year.

Reactions: Aclone

isudoc03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2006
Also remember this is his first head coaching job. He is also learning how to evaluate and manage his coaches. He does not seem satisfied with our current on field product and he shouldn't be. I expect he will make adjustments based on the current product. It may not mean he is firing everybody but maybe changing some systems/philosophies. I want to see continued improvement and we have so far.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Walden: upset a team we were not supposed to beat once every 4 years.
MacCarney: upset a team we were not supposed to beat in a classy way by only 3 points once every 4 years.
CPR: upset a team we were not supposed to beat every year.

I'll take it. It is as good as it gets.....over-used phrase of this board this month. (I haven't used "new normal" yet....that is for after the election disaster).

The problem goes back to the bowl game last year. we have no ability to coach up from the 75% chance that we will have poor quarterback play or an overall poor performance.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Rhoads with a good O Coordinator would be excellent. What's funny is that 10-15 years ago our offense was great and our defense was a mess. I miss those Sage offenses.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I love CPR.

That said, the questions would need to be asked when it becomes clear he may be making poor decisions with staff. I think the question can at very least be asked why we promoted a guy with little experience from within an already **** poor offensive program instead of going out and trying to upgrade. If he doesnt make a change after this year and our offense continues to be one of the worst in college football, that's on CPR.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It's been my experience that fans start questioning the head coach after his team fails to meet expectations in consecutive seasons. Then it begins to snowball the longer the expectations are unmet. Take DMac as an example. The grumbling started after the 2002 collapse. The numbers of fans that wanted him out grew and grew over the next few years as his teams fell short of expectations.

The same thing happened to KF after the 2005 season. The grumbling started and then snowballed to a point that I was pretty sure he was going to be fired after the 2008 season had Greene not emerged. Then 2009 happened and the grumbling went away and the clock started over. Then 2010 happened and the grumbling started again and has snowballed every year since.

This is pretty much the life of a div 1 football coach and it's why CPR said he doubted he'd retire at ISU.

D

DistrictCyclone

There's not much CPR can do with quarterbacks who struggle to complete over 50% of their passes.

In general, I like the trajectory CPR has this program going. We're just a few weak links (on offense) from being a truly great team this year. That's a hell of a lot better than where Cheezdick had us. Keep in mind, too, that our competition has gotten a lot better in the last 5-10 years; this team, even with its offensive struggles, could probably run the table in the Big 12 of 2004-2008. Conversely, Mac's bowl teams from those years would be lucky to win 2 games this year. We're headed in the right direction, thanks to CPR.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
We have improved as a team every year under him. Its an uphill battle. I will start to worry when we regress. He is getting things in place things are still looking up. A road loss like this is hardly the worse thing to happen at isu and used to be the norm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron