At what point do fans start to question CPR?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Finally a Voice of Reason. There are a lot of better head coaches that Paul Rhoads but the problem is, NONE OF THEM WILL COME TO IOWA STATE because, Its way too hard to recruit football players here it always has been in the past and I dont see that changing in the future unless we gain entry to the B1G......Sad but True!

I by no means want to replace him but I completely disagree with this line of thinking. I never want to accept "well we're ISU so this is as good as it gets program wise or success wise". I really dislike that line of thinking.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I by no means want to replace him but I completely disagree with this line of thinking. I never want to accept "well we're ISU so this is as good as it gets program wise or success wise". I really dislike that line of thinking.

I feel the same always expect better. Iowa has the same location and gets some great recruits, I don't think being in the Big 10 makes that much of a difference, especially given how terrible they have been the past few seasons. Same can be said of Kansas and Kansas St., if they can do it with their location it's possible to duplicate in Ames.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's been my experience that fans start questioning the head coach after his team fails to meet expectations in consecutive seasons. Then it begins to snowball the longer the expectations are unmet. Take DMac as an example. The grumbling started after the 2002 collapse. The numbers of fans that wanted him out grew and grew over the next few years as his teams fell short of expectations.

The same thing happened to KF after the 2005 season. The grumbling started and then snowballed to a point that I was pretty sure he was going to be fired after the 2008 season had Greene not emerged. Then 2009 happened and the grumbling went away and the clock started over. Then 2010 happened and the grumbling started again and has snowballed every year since.

This is pretty much the life of a div 1 football coach and it's why CPR said he doubted he'd retire at ISU.

Should have been fired and wasn't which of course would have made the last ten years completely different (good or bad).

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't question CPR as our head coaching from a coaching or recruiting perspective at all. I do think hiring Mess as OC was a mistake, given how poor his track record as an OC has been.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm frustrated as hell with this team right now, but if there is a time to question CPR, I would say that is when he starts losing games consistently, that we are favored in. Pretty tough to fault a coach who's already gotten you 3 more wins than you were expected to have via vegas. This is the frustrating time, we are so close. The puzzle is almost complete except for a couple pieces that must have fallen under the couch or something. I hate moral victories, but right now, we are going to have to be content with announcers saying that there are no more easy games left for "X" team and they show the schedule and ISU is one of those teams. We aren't the laughing stock of college football anymore, that's saying a lot considering where we were 5 years ago.

If we use 'vegas' as our expectations, we'll never question a coach unless he goes winless. Are you really that happy that we exceeded vegas's expectations by beating Tulsa and Iowa? 4 years in, a coach also bears responsibility for where the program is to where the expectations are at that level. We have a defense that can not only compete, but with even an average offense could have us in enough games to put up a good number of wins. If you don't expect better from our offense, then you're delusional. Any team's fans should expect better than near-bottom of college football performance, which is what we're getting.

You're saying 'we're so close'... the question is, is that accurate? If our offense was showing any sign of improvement, i might say yes. But its not just one piece of our offense that has major issues. We have issues on offense all around ranging from playcalling to QB to OL to WR. We don't seem to be showing any sign of improvement over 4 years either, so with no sign of improvement, how can we be 'so close' if there is no measurable improvement over the last few years.

I'm NOT saying to fire CPR. But no coach is perfect, and i love how some can't even stand that people are pointing out his negatives. Right now the list of positives is far greater than negatives, which is why he isn't remotely on the hot seat (nor should be be), but to pretend there aren't negatives to be found in the program is as asinine as calling for his job would be. And right now there is a glaring negative in the offensive performance in his first 4 years, which not only has been extremely poor, but more glaring is that it doesnt seem to be showing any sign of improvement.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Finally a Voice of Reason. There are a lot of better head coaches that Paul Rhoads but the problem is, NONE OF THEM WILL COME TO IOWA STATE because, Its way too hard to recruit football players here it always has been in the past and I dont see that changing in the future unless we gain entry to the B1G......Sad but True!

This is stupid.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
When "execution" is the fault of a game, it is the players. When execution is the problem game after game, it IS the fault of coaching. when its a problem year after year, it is the fault of the system.

We fans have been complaining about lack of execution for four years now.

Case is closed in my book.

The "Messingham" system didn't cause 40 drops in 2 weeks. its execution. And right now nothing on offense is executing. The line play is not where it was last year and its showing. That could be some on the coaching, but horrible off target throws and when they are on target the massive amt of drops are not something that the coaches can control. We all knew this was going to be a rough year on offense and it is showing. I won't look for coaching changes until the skill level goes up and the depth stays solid. Next yr might be a rough year on D, but thats easier to fix when you have a coach with a defensive background.

Its always going to be harder to hide definciencies in the offense for us until we find an offense minded "CPR type" Lets just remember Barnett only has less than a seasons worth of starts under his belt. I think he will make a lot of the critics eat their words. Unfortunately its not a constant this year.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I question CPR right now. He's tied himself to an offensive scheme that has been woeful for 4 straight years. He's done little to modify it. He's hired an OC who is clearly in over his head.

CPR needs to make major changes this off season. Whether he does so or not, imo, will determine his success as coach.

It is year 4 of the program and it is clear we are at least a couple of years out from having a decent QB.

I see lots of threads questioning/wanting to fire the QB Coach, OC and the O-Line head man.

Who hired these people? Who put them into place?

When is the annual "upset special" not good enough anymore?

I am not saying fire CPR....but the last couple of weeks have brought questions up regarding leadership and the decisions being made at the top. Disturbing to say the least. Right now there is no light at the end of the tunnel QB wise. If Richardson was the answer...he would have been in awhile ago.

This year most likely be remembered for a decent D that was wasted by not having a developed QB. Another 5-7, 6-6 season.

Hopefully fans will show up this week (I will be there cheering) and we will get a win against Baylor.

Forgot to type (prepares for backlash).

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I question CPR right now. He's tied himself to an offensive scheme that has been woeful for 4 straight years. He's done little to modify it. He's hired an OC who is clearly in over his head.

CPR needs to make major changes this off season. Whether he does so or not, imo, will determine his success as coach.

+ 1. Other than bringing in a Juco QB, recruiting freshman to come into his system, and gotten a new OC, CPR hasn't done crap to change the offensive scheme.

:jimlad:

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

It did provide 6, 5, and 6 regular season wins in three years, which hasn't happened very often at ISU. Last 3 year stretch like that was 2000-02, but those were years 6 through 8 under Mac.

Losing Tom Herman to Ohio St. (Urban Meyer was clearly impressed with the offense) did not help.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I think that is what I am coming to grips with....

Bill Snyder's start @ K-State:

1989Kansas State1–100–78th
1990Kansas State5–62–56th
1991Kansas State7–44–34th
1992Kansas State5–62–5T–6th
1993Kansas State9–2–14–2–13rdW Copper1820
1994Kansas State9–35–23rdL Aloha1619
1995Kansas State10–25–2T–2ndW Holiday67
Our league is the deepest in the nation. Only 1 program is really in bad shape, and they WON a BCS game in the last 5 years. For us to be 6-6 in this league is really good. Think about the shape our program is in - facilities, fan support, money, etc. We have great coaches working in our program. We could win 10 games this year if we were in the Big Ten.

Have patience, people. The fact that we're not getting stomped in this league is pretty good. Would I like for us to win more games? Obviously. But I also remember (as a young kid) the painful early McCarney years. We have come back from irrelevance much more quickly and I have no doubt we will have a breakout year under CPR. If it's year 10 and we still haven't won more than 6-7 games, then we have to question what's going on. But there is no denying that we are at a significant disadvantage in many ways compared to our Big XII peers and that's why it's going to take a lot of time for us to get where we want to be. ISU is not a 1, 2, or even 3-year rebuilding type of program. Our recruiting will never be good enough for that. We must remain supportive and patient or we'll lose CPR to a program where it is much easier to find quick success.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm frustrated as hell with this team right now, but if there is a time to question CPR, I would say that is when he starts losing games consistently, that we are favored in. Pretty tough to fault a coach who's already gotten you 3 more wins than you were expected to have via vegas. This is the frustrating time, we are so close. The puzzle is almost complete except for a couple pieces that must have fallen under the couch or something. I hate moral victories, but right now, we are going to have to be content with announcers saying that there are no more easy games left for "X" team and they show the schedule and ISU is one of those teams. We aren't the laughing stock of college football anymore, that's saying a lot considering where we were 5 years ago.

That's the idea of questioning decisions. There's nothing wrong with questioning our offensive hires right now. They might be the right guys, but not getting it done, or they might be the wrong guys altogether. Either way, hiring them is on him. It's fair to ask questions about it.

Asking if he's the guy for the job is where I think it goes too far, but I don't think that was the OP's plan, since he says that wasn't his plan. CPR is an outstanding coach, and he's earned a whole lot of benefit of the doubt. His offense hasn't earned much of that at all, if any.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'm not saying that I question him as a head coacah, but I do question how he is handling this qb situation. IMO, the coaches had an entire year to work with either quaterback with what they needed to improve. They are showing minimal improvement from last year. As much as it pains me to say it, I wish he would put in one quarterback and stick with him. In the case of JB, I think mistakes he makes this year will help him grow and improve for the years to come. Yes, that might mean more mistakes, but that is really a learning process.

To go along with this, I think the constant carousel at qb does very little for their confidence. If I'm starting this game, I'm over-thinking because I know that if I make mistakes I'm getting pulled. I just feel like its a vicious cycle to have. Whether this is an issue of talent or lack of preparation, the only people that are responsible are the coaches.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron