Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Do you work for a speed camera company?

You missed the point. It doesn't matter if I know who was driving my car, the entity that issues the ticket doesn't.

I speed all the time and I know that if I get caught that I will get a fine and pay it. Key phrase being if I get caught. A camera accusing someone of something they may or may not have done isn't getting caught. Fortunately, I live in a state that still has a shred of common sense and the slightest idea of people's fundamental rights as US citizens.
Yeah, getting caught on camera doesn't count! How do cameras even work? Is there a little guy inside it that's drawing what he sees or something?

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Occasionally I almost get hit from someone that slams through while I'm in but figure they either don't read signs or just think they can drive how they want and it's my fault for being in the RAB first.
I've seen a few go the wrong way in them which is entertaining.
This Kentucky footage from a brand-new roundabout is really quite the video. Some of these yahoos just move over to the left to take the short way to their turn, completely disregarding any other traffic.

You can practically hear the gears grinding in some these brains - “golly, this guy ahead of me is changing over to the oncoming traffic lane, guess I’ll follow him, nyuk nyuk.”

Then there’s the guy who moves over to the left lane to go straight through the intersection (after he comes to a full stop when he realizes he messed up), so of course he has to wait for someone else doing it correctly.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
BTW, even the city of Cedar Rapids doesn't request tax withholdings anymore...

Yes, as @Macloney has pointed out in this thread, they are a violation of due process. They are basically voluntary fines. The camera operator doesn't want it to go to court and have it tested vs the constitution. So there isn't much they will do to try and collect.

*I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, only my opinion*

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, getting caught on camera doesn't count! How do cameras even work? Is there a little guy inside it that's drawing what he sees or something?
On the photos from speed cameras that I have seen, the picture is of the back end of the vehicle, basically focused on the license plate. There is no way to tell who the operator of the vehicle is. Maybe if it's a convertible, you might recognize the back of the drivers head, but otherwise you can't even see the driver.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
On the photos from speed cameras that I have seen, the picture is of the back end of the vehicle, basically focused on the license plate. There is no way to tell who the operator of the vehicle is. Maybe if it's a convertible, you might recognize the back of the drivers head, but otherwise you can't even see the driver.
I'm down. man. No parking tickets will make it much easier next time I go to the farmer's market, just ditching that thing in the middle of the road and walking away to get in line for my giant breakfast burrito.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Why does a town of a population of around 1400 in the middle of nowhere Iowa even need traffic cameras. Pure money grab it sounds like to me. I'm anti-traffic camera in general as they can say all they want to justify them as safety measures but we all know the real truth that it is easy revenue generators. And for the record I've never received a red light or speed camera ticket in my life so this isn't me bitter about getting a ticket before, I've always felt this way about ticket cameras.

Maybe the cameras are a more economically viable option than having a police force of their own strong enough to enforce the speed limits especially considering cuts to state and county funding that could be used for the sheriff's and state patrol to help enforce it.

Not saying it is a money grab but they are cheaper than an officer and patrol car. This was one of the arguments for them that I think is quite valid in CR. Speed has mildly slowed down in CR and officers are freed up to do actual patrolling and taking calls. Not to mention the state patrol and sheriff's office are non-existent in CR so it leaves it on the city to handle.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why does a town of a population of around 1400 in the middle of nowhere Iowa even need traffic cameras. Pure money grab it sounds like to me. I'm anti-traffic camera in general as they can say all they want to justify them as safety measures but we all know the real truth that it is easy revenue generators. And for the record I've never received a red light or speed camera ticket in my life so this isn't me bitter about getting a ticket before, I've always felt this way about ticket cameras.

It's the small towns with highways going through them that probably need them the most. People just don't slow down when going through the town. And often those highways are effectively residential streets with houses and businesses lining them.

At least on the interstates, you're just dealing with other cars and the speed difference between them.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
It's the small towns with highways going through them that probably need them the most. People just don't slow down when going through the town. And often those highways are effectively residential streets with houses and businesses lining them.

At least on the interstates, you're just dealing with other cars and the speed difference between them.

Put in a speed bump. They seem to work.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
If a driver is operating a vehicle recklessly, speeding or otherwise, give him or her a ticket. No issue with that.

If we want to charge the owner of an inanimate object for the crimes someone else commits while in possession of that object, then the discussion changes.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Maybe the cameras are a more economically viable option than having a police force of their own strong enough to enforce the speed limits especially considering cuts to state and county funding that could be used for the sheriff's and state patrol to help enforce it.

Not saying it is a money grab but they are cheaper than an officer and patrol car. This was one of the arguments for them that I think is quite valid in CR. Speed has mildly slowed down in CR and officers are freed up to do actual patrolling and taking calls. Not to mention the state patrol and sheriff's office are non-existent in CR so it leaves it on the city to handle.

Most small towns seem to be contracting the county sheriff's department these days which is more economical than having a full time police staff and the overhead that comes with running their own police station too. With most cameras these days I always say show us the data that proves the camera is needed because they always say its about safety but in a lot of cases the data after the camera is installed shows very little reduction in accidents in the areas they were installed at.

This is little off topic but maybe still relevant about cities contracting out stuff like this. Grimes which is like the 3rd fastest growing town in the state right now doesn't even have it's own police department, they contract their law enforcement through Polk County Sherriff so it's not even small towns going this route either. Funny thing about that is for the amount of growth Grimes is seeing not only do they not have their own police they share their fire department with Johnston and a recent report just came out that the Grimes fire station is in dire need of replacement (see their Facebook page if you want to see more on this.) Yet the city is building a $12 mil library, just agreed to take on a $20 mil sportsplex that originally was going to be privately developed, and also set to break ground on a splashpad but back in 2019 when they were pushing to pass the local option sales tax increase funding a new fire station was part of their campaign to get that passed and they still have not approved a plan to do that yet and have been told it would take 2 years from approving a plan to getting a new station up and running. Want to talk about messed up priorities... a town the size of Grimes growing at the rate it is and public safety doesn't seem to be too high in the pecking order for funding lately while other expensive project and developments continue to get approved.

Reactions: wxman1

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
If a driver is operating a vehicle recklessly, speeding or otherwise, give him or her a ticket. No issue with that.

If we want to charge the owner of an inanimate object for the crimes someone else commits while in possession of that object, then the discussion changes.
@3TrueFans : You reacted with Funny. Am I misunderstanding? Is this not what you are suggesting be done?