Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
The Sheriff issues a ticket to the driver. The speed cameras issue a ticket to whoever the license plates are registered to. That may not be the same person.

And really, it's based on what the camera thinks is a license plate. There was a story, and maybe just urban legend, that when one particular city installed cameras, a group of enterprising high school students would accept dollars in exchange for finding a classmate with the same type of car as your target, print a decent quality looking plate on the school printer, tape it to the car, and get your target a ticket.
The average person doesn't have very many different people driving their vehicle. It doesn't matter to me if it was my wife or I that gets a speed camera ticket, it should be paid either way.

While your example of the limits of the camera technology is valid, I think that's a pretty unusual instance.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Rereading the post I believe you are correct.

I agree speed cameras are mostly a money grab. Can’t deny they’ve slowed down traffic through the Cedar Rapids S-curve, though.
The slow down traffic for about 400 total feet on that whole half mile stretch.

Reactions: Macloney

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Absolutely nothing.

They can hold up any state payments to you, like your tax returns. I think they can also turn you over to a collection agency, which could be a real hassle. I’m not sure if a camera ticket could be an issue when you’re paying your vehicle registration - since I haven‘t heard a lot of complaining about it, maybe not.

But no moving violation, no hit to your insurance.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The slow down traffic for about 400 total feet on that whole half mile stretch.
Sure, there’s a lot of slowing down for the cameras and then speeding up again, but the net total speed of traffic through there is way down from before the cameras. It was like the Indy 500 before; now traffic generally runs about 60-64 through there (yes, with the occasional 80-mph moron).

Source: I drove through the S-curve twice every workday from 2002 to 2018, and pretty frequently both before and after. Traffic flow is noticeably slower (not a lot, but noticeably) since the cameras went up in 2010.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Even without the camera's Strawberry has been known for years as a place to NOT speed. Used to drive through there all of the time on way to visit parents in NE Iowa and always crawled through there.

Edit: Looked back at a Strawberry FB page posting back in April. Was stated they are averaging 500 tickets a month. And Fayette, not to left out, added cameras to.
Sumner years ago had a 25 mph on 93 (East-West) and would hit you for a few ticks over. Seems like that isn't the case now. Thanks for the info on Fayette.

Reactions: SDCyclonesFamily

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The average person doesn't have very many different people driving their vehicle. It doesn't matter to me if it was my wife or I that gets a speed camera ticket, it should be paid either way.

While your example of the limits of the camera technology is valid, I think that's a pretty unusual instance.

I can let anyone with a valid license drive my car on a public road and anyone drive it on private property. Any quantity I choose, it's my car.

If they issue a ticket without verification of the driver then there is no way that they can prove who was driving. Without a witness and/or verification there is no way that someone could defend themselves against the accusattion. In America you have the right to due process. Speed cameras don't allow for due process and that's why they aren't moving violations and why the municipalities who issue them know they aren't really enforcable..

Most people just pay or don't go through the trouble of fighting it if it goes to collections. They know this.

@Cyclonepride It's a total scam under the guise of safety.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
They can hold up any state payments to you, like your tax returns. I think they can also turn you over to a collection agency, which could be a real hassle. I’m not sure if a camera ticket could be an issue when you’re paying your vehicle registration - since I haven‘t heard a lot of complaining about it, maybe not.

But no moving violation, no hit to your insurance.

I've always paid approx ~20 dollars to the state, year over year since 2015 so that wouldn't impact me.

They cannot legally impact credit in the state of Iowa. So feel free to tell any collection agency's to F off when they call.

Any links to where civil violations in the state of Iowa will prevent you from paying your vehicle registration? Moving violations yes...but civil violations?

Last edited:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I can let anyone with a valid license drive my car on a public road and anyone drive it on private property. Any quantity I choose, it's my car.

If they issue a ticket without verification of the driver then there is no way that they can prove who was driving. Without a witness and/or verification there is no way that someone could defend themselves against the accusattion. In America you have the right to due process. Speed cameras don't allow for due process and that's why they aren't moving violations and why the municipalities who issue them know they aren't really enforcable..

Most people just pay or don't go through the trouble of fighting it if it goes to collections. They know this.

@Cyclonepride It's a total scam under the guise of safety.
So how many people, on average (other than your spouse), drive your vehicle on a monthly basis?

If you have a family friend driving your car and they get a ticket that gets sent to you, and they refuse to pay it...then fine your point is valid. I would be willing to bet 99% of cases the vehicle owner would be able to determine who was driving their car based upon the date and timestamp. If you're lending your car out like a rental, then I guess you assume that risk.

There is no scam. The laws are clearly stated and speed limits clearly posted. Again, don't want a fine, don't speed excessively. It's really that simple.