Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
At the end of the day these threads always just boil down to people not wanting to have to pay a fine after they get caught speeding because cameras are unconstitutional or something.
Maybe, but that's not at all what I'm arguing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Oops I stayed stopped at that just today, because I didn't think left on reds were legal. Sorry hope you weren't behind me.
A left turn on red is legal in most jurisdictions from a one way on to a one way to the left because you aren't crossing any traffic lanes when you make the move just like a right turn on red.

There are about 8 states, a few cities, a territory and the District of Columbia that do not allow left turn on red. But there are five states that actually allow the left turn on red onto a one way even if you are turning from a two way street.

• Informative
Reactions: 3TrueFans

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Tagging you back in @Macloney I need to spend some time on other things for a bit.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don't recall ever loaning my car out. Either way, being atypical isn't a reason to make someone choose between paying a fine they aren't guilty of, or taking the time and effort to fight it.
Also not a reason to complain about the speed enforcement method.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Some people are okay with fines being sent to people with no evidence of wrongdoing and some people aren't.

We all have a right to think what we want.

Guilty until proven innocent. Just ask the 85 year old lady who's never driven in New York.
Has anyone explained how this works for parking tickets or having your car towed for parking illegally? If I (or someone I loaned my car too because that's apparently something that's normal) decide to park my car on central campus, what happens?

Can I not be ticketed or have my car towed unless an officer saw me park it there and get out of it?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We have a highway that runs behind our house. Neighbors had a party and let their three year old boy wander onto it four times before another neighbor went and screamed at them that she was going to call the cops if it happened again. Has happened again, just not that day. The semis seem to have the most speed going through. The same kid was playing in the car trunk most of an afternoon. Husband sends our dog around our big yard before he mows, same kid likes to lay in the grass in our yard so if the dog stops to play, we know we need to dispatch the kid home. Slowing people down on the highway can only help so much with this level of dumb.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
We have a highway that runs behind our house. Neighbors had a party and let their three year old boy wander onto it four times before another neighbor went and screamed at them that she was going to call the cops if it happened again. Has happened again, just not that day. The semis seem to have the most speed going through. The same kid was playing in the car trunk most of an afternoon. Husband sends our dog around our big yard before he mows, same kid likes to lay in the grass in our yard so if the dog stops to play, we know we need to dispatch the kid home. Slowing people down on the highway can only help so much with this level of dumb.

are you saying your husband would mow over a kid because he wouldn't see him?

how long is your grass?!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
are you saying your husband would mow over a kid because he wouldn't see him?

how long is your grass?!
There’s a big ditch by the highway that the state is supposed to mow and they don’t except maybe spray once a summer. So he doesn’t mow the ditch every mow but maybe every third time. And the three year old enjoys laying in the high grass as well as his mommy’s car trunk. Husband does that part with the rider, could probably stop in time but does not take chances with the kid’s life, unlike his parents.

Reactions: CoachHines3

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Some people are okay with fines being sent to people with no evidence of wrongdoing and some people aren't.

We all have a right to think what we want.

Guilty until proven innocent. Just ask the 85 year old lady who's never driven in New York.

What do you mean no evidence? They have evidence that your car was speeding. They send you that evidence. If you want to contest that it wasn't you, that is certainly your right. But the first question will be who was driving your car. If you can't answer that, then you have bigger issues than just the fine. It's literally the same process for any number of other violations that the police give fines for.

Reactions: wxman1

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I probably drive through Strawberry Point 3-4 times per year. Went to Prairie du Chien a couple of weeks ago and got a $100 speeding ticket yesterday from the City of Strawberry Point. Anyone have any idea how long they have had cameras up and if they are clearly marked?
I joined your club in December. Got a $100 ticket in the mail. Had been around that area many times in the last 30 years and did not realize they put up a camera until now. Curious they put one up on highway 13 stretch but not on the west end of town on highway 3. Maybe that is for future expansion.

And why just the one on highway 13? Why not one on the north end of town too? Oh I know why because the same vehicles would get nailed twice most likely on the same trip through town and there would really be some irate people. Not sure what the rule is because I 380 has two sets of cameras (north and south) so not sure if a car blows through both sets whether they get two separate tickets or whether they are lenient and only issue the one.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just got one in DSM, well daughter did, just that the car is in my name and sent to me. $65 for turning right in red. I thought they ruled these cameras as illegal. If they aren’t then why aren’t there more out there. Sorry if this was discussed earlier.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I joined your club in December. Got a $100 ticket in the mail. Had been around that area many times in the last 30 years and did not realize they put up a camera until now. Curious they put one up on highway 13 stretch but not on the west end of town on highway 3. Maybe that is for future expansion.

And why just the one on highway 13? Why not one on the north end of town too? Oh I know why because the same vehicles would get nailed twice most likely on the same trip through town and there would really be some irate people. Not sure what the rule is because I 380 has two sets of cameras (north and south) so not sure if a car blows through both sets whether they get two separate tickets or whether they are lenient and only issue the one.
There's one on the west side of town too on HWY 3, it's before the church.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Better pay it or a warrant can be issued for your arrest as it’s a moving violation.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Just got one in DSM, well daughter did, just that the car is in my name and sent to me. $65 for turning right in red. I thought they ruled these cameras as illegal. If they aren’t then why aren’t there more out there. Sorry if this was discussed earlier.
Pure money grab. I got a surprise one in the mail on a car I sold. I forgot to take the plates off. The buyer mailed them back to me but a few weeks later, I received a ticket for $125 from Chester, IA. I had no idea where Chester IA even was. The picture shows a long desolate road with absolutely not even 1 other car in the picture. 41 in a 30. In most instances a ticket would not even be issued for 11 over. Safety issue my ass! Ticket Nazi Co asked for the new owner's information but ultimately said that since it was still registered to me that I was responsible for the fine.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron