Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
So how many people, on average (other than your spouse), drive your vehicle on a monthly basis?

If you have a family friend driving your car and they get a ticket that gets sent to you, and they refuse to pay it...then fine your point is valid. I would be willing to bet 99% of cases the vehicle owner would be able to determine who was driving their car based upon the date and timestamp. If you're lending your car out like a rental, then I guess you assume that risk.

There is no scam. The laws are clearly stated and speed limits clearly posted. Again, don't want a fine, don't speed excessively. It's really that simple.

Do you work for a speed camera company?

You missed the point. It doesn't matter if I know who was driving my car, the entity that issues the ticket doesn't.

I speed all the time and I know that if I get caught that I will get a fine and pay it. Key phrase being if I get caught. A camera accusing someone of something they may or may not have done isn't getting caught. Fortunately, I live in a state that still has a shred of common sense and the slightest idea of people's fundamental rights as US citizens.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My dad taught me to go 7 over and I'll be fine. I've been driving for 47 years and haven't had a ticket yet. Although I keep it at 4 over when the speed limit is 70, for safety's sake.

My son-in-law is a volunteer deputy. He says, "Eight is great, nine, you're mine."

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Do you work for a speed camera company?

You missed the point. It doesn't matter if I know who was driving my car, the entity that issues the ticket doesn't.

I speed all the time and I know that if I get caught that I will get a fine and pay it. Key phrase being if I get caught. A camera accusing someone of something they may or may not have done isn't getting caught. Fortunately, I live in a state that still has a shred of common sense and the slightest idea of people's fundamental rights as US citizens.
I don't, and I got your point. I just have enough common sense not to feel the need to be a contrarian on something so simple.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My dad taught me to go 7 over and I'll be fine. I've been driving for 47 years and haven't had a ticket yet. Although I keep it at 4 over when the speed limit is 70, for safety's sake.

My son-in-law is a volunteer deputy. He says, "Eight is great, nine, you're mine."
Your dad was 2mph off

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I don't, and I got your point. I just have enough common sense not to feel the need to be a contrarian on something so simple.

I get it, you're in the "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" crowd.

You see, I am out doing wrong things and that doesn't mean that I still don't have the right to due process. Thank God that Thomas Jefferson wasn't as big as a pushover as you or the brown shirts would have checkpoints instead of speed cameras. I mean, if you're not doing anything wrong, right?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

But based on the "your speed" signs at construction sites, my speedometer is about 5 mph fast. And I assume those are all perfectly calibrated, so I just add that 5 on to the 8 mph buffer and I'm good at 13, right?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Sure they do, they pick out the stupid ones pretty effectively.
When I worked in DC, a black coworker who was an attorney and I had to go to Richmond, VA several times in a government vehicle. He asked me to drive because he always got pulled over in a government vehicle because they assumed he had stolen it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When I worked in DC, a black coworker who was an attorney and I had to go to Richmond, VA several times in a government vehicle. He asked me to drive because he always got pulled over in a government vehicle because they assumed he had stolen it.
He definitely had it rough if he asked you to drive. :)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He definitely had it rough if he asked you to drive. :)
That is true. We always had to leave well before the morning rush in DC or I would have made him drive until we got outside of the beltway. Never feel real comfortable in cities much bigger than Des Moines. Vision in one eye is 20/200 which is legally blind. Fortunately back then anyway the other eye was 20/20 but switching lanes on the blind side is always tricky. Cars now have better mirrors to help.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Why does a town of a population of around 1400 in the middle of nowhere Iowa even need traffic cameras. Pure money grab it sounds like to me. I'm anti-traffic camera in general as they can say all they want to justify them as safety measures but we all know the real truth that it is easy revenue generators. And for the record I've never received a red light or speed camera ticket in my life so this isn't me bitter about getting a ticket before, I've always felt this way about ticket cameras.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The only thing bad about roundabouts is when you get in one with some dumbshit that doesn’t know how to drive in one.

Occasionally I almost get hit from someone that slams through while I'm in but figure they either don't read signs or just think they can drive how they want and it's my fault for being in the RAB first.
I've seen a few go the wrong way in them which is entertaining.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Occasionally I almost get hit from someone that slams through while I'm in but figure they either don't read signs or just think they can drive how they want and it's my fault for being in the RAB first.
I've seen a few go the wrong way in them which is entertaining.
There is a large amount of drivers who like to light their brakes up when they stop and/or stop about 10 foot past the normal stopping point so it looks like they are just going to blow through it. Had a lady last night that about made me do that because she rode about 20 foot behind me the whole way and when I would tap my brakes beforehand to warn I'm stopping at this stop sign, she would just get closer yet.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Have you told her yet about the new interstate intersections where you "cross traffic" to drive on the wrong side?
(Mills Civic and 35 in WDM, 1st and 35 in Ankeny)
She lives and Cedar Rapids so hopefully will never come across one.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Except they haven't been proven to make anything all that much safer, and they'd all disappear overnight if the revenue didn't exceed the expense.
There are a ton of studies showing that roundabouts are safer. What are you talking about?

Help Support Us

Become a patron