Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
How about you just stop breaking laws and you'd never have to worry about those cameras? It isn't like they're sending tickets out for 2 mph over the speed limit.
That's the whole argument here. I can be sitting in bed reading a nice book and someone else who is driving my car can break a law and not get ticketed because the ticket is sent to me.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's the whole argument here. I can be sitting in bed reading a nice book and someone else who is driving my car can break a law and not get ticketed because the ticket is sent to me.
It sounds like you loan your car out a lot so that is definitely possible for you, but probably not very typical.

Reactions: wxman1

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I love hearing the oldies complain about roundabouts. Like it's splitting the atom driving thru one, LOL.

I don’t consider myself old but I don’t think roundabouts are all that. I think a squareabout or triangleabout would be more efficient.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

And per the law, you can then say who was driving the car and the ticket would be re-issued to them.

• Dumb
Reactions: Ozclone and wxman1

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
It sounds like you loan your car out a lot so that is definitely possible for you, but probably not very typical.
I don't recall ever loaning my car out. Either way, being atypical isn't a reason to make someone choose between paying a fine they aren't guilty of, or taking the time and effort to fight it.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
And per the law, you can then say who was driving the car and the ticket would be re-issued to them.
Is that indeed the law? If all a person had to do was say, "wasn't me" then I feel like there would be even less people paying these fines.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't recall ever loaning my car out. Either way, being atypical isn't a reason to make someone choose between paying a fine they aren't guilty of, or taking the time and effort to fight it.
So this is just like a contrarian, hypothetical thing we’re doing?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Is that indeed the law? If all a person had to do was say, "wasn't me" then I feel like there would be even less people paying these fines.

You can't just say it wasn't me. You do have to identify who was driving your car at that time.

Reactions: wxman1

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
So this is just like a contrarian, hypothetical thing we’re doing?
I'm not claiming this has ever happened to me (it hasn't) so maybe that's just being contrarian?
I guess, as a US citizen, the rights and protections afforded by the constitution are sort of a hobby of mine. And I believe issuing tickets to someone who may have nothing to do with a crime is a violation of due process.

That's it. I'm not arguing that speed limits are bad or shouldn't be enforced. My only argument is to give the ticket to the person who committed the crime or infraction. That's the way it happens if an officer pulls a speeder over. Why is speeding per a camera treated different than speeding per a law enforcement officer? Don't make someone else have to prove they are innocent.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm not claiming this has ever happened to me (it hasn't) so maybe that's just being contrarian?
I guess, as a US citizen, the rights and protections afforded by the constitution are sort of a hobby of mine. And I believe issuing tickets to someone who may have nothing to do with a crime is a violation of due process.

That's it. I'm not arguing that speed limits are bad or shouldn't be enforced. My only argument is to give the ticket to the person who committed the crime or infraction. That's the way it happens if an officer pulls a speeder over. Why is speeding per a camera treated different than speeding per a law enforcement officer? Don't make someone else have to prove they are innocent.
It isn't considered a crime though which is how they skirt this. Which also means the standard of proof is lower.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
It isn't considered a crime though which is how they skirt this. Which also means the standard of proof is lower.
Infraction? Maybe crime is too strong a word, but again, I'm not a lawyer. It is an accusation made by the state with a penalty attached.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So when charged with the crime, the burden is on me to prove myself innocent rather than on the state to prove my guilt?

This is why it isn't a moving violation. It's equivalent to a civil trial which has a much lower burden of proof. As a result, these do not affect your driving record.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Infraction? Maybe crime is too strong a word, but again, I'm not a lawyer. It is an accusation made by the state with a penalty attached.
It's more like the city you live in fining you for not shoveling your sidewalk. The state has no role in this.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

At the end of the day these threads always just boil down to people not wanting to have to pay a fine after they get caught speeding because cameras are unconstitutional or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney

Help Support Us

Become a patron