What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Probably because he made it the last 3 of 4.

We're talking about next year. If he doesn't make it next year, it's 3 of 4 missing the tourney. He'll be back for next season, we're all pretty much in agreement on that.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That is incredibly short sighted though. If the team shows significant improvement then you 100% keep Prohm another year.

That would qualify as significant improvement. I know this season has been a disaster but we aren't miles away from the bubble. I mean, we are in terms of record but in terms of quality of play, if a couple things go different, we have a chance.

My expectation is the tournament. Barring a huge exodus, if we make the tournament next year, I think we are a program with a solid foundation that has balance for the first time in a long time. At worst, we will lose two guys next year in Solo and Lewis. So, we'd have a tournament team that's returning everything without considering potential grad transfers. That's a program that's on the right track and since I'm not sure there are much in the way of one and dones or two and dones coming in, your roster management is a lot more predictable.

I'm not saying that's going to happen. In fact, at this point I'd say it's unlikely but Prohm is likely going to be here next year and I've decided it's more fun to look at it as if we will improve and good things are on the horizon becaus

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I mean, what evidence do you want? Everyone who covers the Cyclones when Fred left said keep an eye on Otz getting the job. Then all of the sudden we hired a search firm and Leath was involved in interviews and we hired Prohm.

Beyond that, Otz will be our next coach. Leath wanted a sitting HC. Pollard wanted Otz to carry on Hoiberg era. Leath is gone and Pollard is still here.

I mean TJ came back while we were in limbo and it wasn't to be an assistant.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Story Time

I'm sure most of us have had similar experiences to this. I have known a few people who grew up rich because their family owned a business. When the mother or father looked to retire, they handed the company off to their children. The new CEO (son/daughter) only worked at the company for a few years and chose the company because they knew they would own the company eventually.

The company survived, but as the seasoned veteran employees left, the business started to struggle. Quality dripped, Bad hires were made. Some of the companies actually went under because of it.

Prohm is a really good coach. The guys love him and rally around him because of it.

However; he inherited an EMBARRASSMENT of riches and he never had to learn how to coach in high major basketball. It's hard to see the team's shortcomings when shots are falling like crazy and you are winning.

Larry Coker didn't need to coach the '01 Hurricanes;he just needed to make sure they were suited up to play that week.

Prohm is learning how to coach. We have seen growth recently. He's not going anywhere this year and I doubt next year, too.

• Funny
Reactions: CloneFan4

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm of the mind that I think the stress of this job is weighing not only on him but his wife as well. Little kids at home and gone all time. It would not shock me to see him leave on his own accord after this season if a right job opens up near where he's from.
It would totally shock me. Why forfeit the millions he has coming to him, and what program would buy out his contract?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If this is a Prohm job security thread now, I want to propose an idea for him...

It is time to get new assistants. Switch it up before you get the boot. Go and get a really good post position coach. You know guards but you need to develop better bigs.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It would totally shock me. Why forfeit the millions he has coming to him, and what program would buy out his contract?

Me, too. It's a crazy idea.
Prohm forfeits millions.
ISU forfeits millions, which would be the fund to recruit/buyout/hire a new coach.
All this so Prohm can leave a job where he's away a lot to take a lower-paying job where he's away a lot.

Try harder, people. That's not how things work.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
What non blue blood teams make the NCAA tournament every year? Unless you are Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky an expectation of making the tournament every year is unrealistic and foolish.

Now, I agree with you that NCAA tournament, NCAA tournament, last, NCAA tournament, last isn't great and I have no qualms with Prohm being on the hot seat. But I do have big problems with people that say things like the NCAA tournament should happen every year.
Baylor, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Purdue make the tourney most years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Baylor, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Purdue make the tourney most years.

michigan State is a blue blood.

Oklahoma has been very similar to us. Remember Krueger barely got his team in with tre Jackson. People point to last year being a disaster for us, nothing compared to that year for Oklahoma.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
When last year was the peak of prohm with his own players, finishing 5th is a failure. You can try to excuse this year by saying "but he lost all that talent" but 5th place last year either means that that talent was overrated or (more likely) it was a bad coaching job.

His ceilings aren't very high and his floors are very very low.
Exactly. Last years team should have been/had the talent to finish in at least the top 3 of the regular big 12 season.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think this season should be titled "Murphy's Law". Here's why
  • We lost three players that were expected to be starters this year. Fault him for thinking this if you want, Prohm expected Lard (until they part ways) and either THT or LW to be back. HUGE blow.
  • Two promising freshman transferred out a day before the season started. We found out later that they were not so promising.
  • Prohm planned to lean on Nixon to be a STUD of us. The lights were too bright for him. HUGE blow.
  • Jacobson happened. Or rather, didn't happen. Big blow.
  • Loss to Florida A&M. Yuck
  • Start of conference is super tough.
  • Can't hit a three to save a life.
  • Every post starter immediately regresses when given the starting role.
  • TH got hurt. Biggest blow.

He absolutely did not think LW would be back this year. After Maui if he thought THT would be back this year he was a fool.
Those freshman were not promising, that's why they transferred. Recruiting fail.
Prohm had spent a year watching Nixon in practice. If he didn't know what he had on his hands, failure on his part.
Bummer on Jake.
Loss to FA&M. Largest upset in FPI history. How is that bad luck?
Start of confrence is tough - This is the toughest conference in the country. It's all tough.
Can't hit a three... he recruited the roster.
Everybody regresses, he recruited the roster.
TH got hurt, bummer, but we sucked before that.

Again, most of these things are the result of things directly in his control.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What was so great about last year?

Was it when we finished 5th in the league the one year prohm brought some talent of his own? (His other classes haven't planned out as well). Was it when chemistry was such a mess our players were fighting each other during games? Was it when we went in and looked terrible in the NCAA tournament game?

Last year was a mediocre at best year sandwiched between two disastrous years.

I'm pissed about this season and last year was a real rollercoaster. But it was a good year. I don't think a reasonable person can argue that.

Edit to add: You can make the argument that they didn't max out their talent level. Totally reasonable take. But it still resulted in a 6 seed. If that's ever not at a good year at ISU we've gone blue blood.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If Pollard uses his McDermott standard, Prohm can miss this year and the next 3 tournaments and not get fired.
Because the program was in the same state leaving Wayne Morgan's hands as it was leaving Fred Hoiberg's…..

McDermott was a lot of things but the situation, both in the program and financially as an AD was entirely different.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
When last year was the peak of prohm with his own players, finishing 5th is a failure. You can try to excuse this year by saying "but he lost all that talent" but 5th place last year either means that that talent was overrated or (more likely) it was a bad coaching job.

His ceilings aren't very high and his floors are very very low.

I don't get this conference finish argument. You finish first or who cares. He got a 6 seed which is great for our program historically.

• Agree
Reactions: jsb

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
So is there any evidence to this? Feels like something one poster threw out there and a bunch of people ran with. Leath probably had no idea who Steve Prohm was.
Agree. In an interview about the CSP hire, Pollard said that he wanted someone with head coaching experience.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
When you're evaluating Prohm's ability to lead the program in the future doesn't it make sense to use the last 3 years as a better indicator than the first 2 years?

About as much sense at it would have been evaluating LE using his last two rather than his first three.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
No, you haven’t explained how we might make that massive of an improvement. What do you see happening to get there?

Well, there was this..........

At the beginning of last season.....Solo goes down for the year, Wiggs gets injured, Talley gets in the dog house and Lard......well. If you want I can go back and grab all the many posts saying the season was done before it began. You know why....because no one knew TH was going to be that good, THT was going to be good enough to be a one and doner, that Shayok because of the system at UV could be "that" guy when it came to scoring, or that Jacobsen with all his flaws would fit right in. Yet they won 23 games. That is how I think it could happen again.

Of course that doesn't explain "how"........but it does indicate "can". And that's all I can go on. To speculate about players who haven't even set foot on campus......and some we are still recruiting would have made as much sense as speculating on TH, THT, Jacobsen and Shayok before last season. Makes for some fun back and forth BS during the slow months....but that's about it. I go with what has happened. He has done it before.....he can do it again. You are one who doesn't think he can......that's fine. You are one who doesn't want to give him a chance because he might succeed and you just don't like him......that's BS.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I find it funny that we consider last year a failure yet we apparently don’t consider Fred’s last year a failure. Because if we did, we would certainly think the sweet 16 the next year was amazing.

Objectively, that was a significantly more successful season. But I don’t consider last basketball season to be a failure on the court. However, off the court it was a huge failure - failure in developing, recruiting, and retaining players. It was a very poor year in all of those areas for the program.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
michigan State is a blue blood.

Oklahoma has been very similar to us. Remember Krueger barely got his team in with tre Jackson. People point to last year being a disaster for us, nothing compared to that year for Oklahoma.

Trae Young

• Funny
Reactions: JBone84

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He absolutely did not think LW would be back this year. After Maui if he thought THT would be back this year he was a fool.
Those freshman were not promising, that's why they transferred. Recruiting fail.
Prohm had spent a year watching Nixon in practice. If he didn't know what he had on his hands, failure on his part.
Bummer on Jake.
Loss to FA&M. Largest upset in FPI history. How is that bad luck?
Start of confrence is tough - This is the toughest conference in the country. It's all tough.
Can't hit a three... he recruited the roster.
Everybody regresses, he recruited the roster.
TH got hurt, bummer, but we sucked before that.

Again, most of these things are the result of things directly in his control.

This is exactly right. I can't stress enough if you aren't planning for attrition in this day and age you aren't doing your job. 85 dudes left school early for the NBA last year. There were over 850 transfers. The days of "attrition" being an excuse are gone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron