What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
No, it isnt.

Any year a program misses an NCAA tournament, would be comparable to an average corporate employee being given a 'needs improvement' or put on a performance improvement plan in their end of year review. They did not meet the expectations of their job and are on notice that that needs to change. That doesnt mean that every employee that gets a "needs improvement" gets fired immediately. Employees don't always meet the company's goals every year. But if an employee gets "needs improvement" 2 years in a row or 3\4, that's a different situation and theyre more likely to be gone, especially when that employee is making millions. .

You didn't answer my question.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
I would like to get this established now. Where Steve Prohm is concerned, we have a tendency to "define mediocrity downwards". By that I mean, if 8 years ago I would have told the Cyclone fan base that we would have a coach who would have a 13-win season and a 10-win season and still be retained, they would have been absolutely shocked. Yet now that it has actually happened, many are actually in favor of the retention.

I would like to know what the floor is for next season. If we wait until next season to define it, I think it will get lowered and lowered and lowered to the point where there is virtually no floor at all, for the sake of retaining him no matter what.

This year is close to last in the Big 12 so expect next years minimum to be last in the Big 12.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If we keep Prohm after this season, he needs to be in the tournament next year to keep his job. If it is a new coach, and I hope it is, then he’ll get leeway to rebuild.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And I’m sure that if we win 20 games you’ll be here telling us he should be fired. It goes both ways. I’m biased for him and you’re biased against him.

I'm biased for winning. He does that I'm perfectly happy with him. I don't particularly care who is in the driver's seat. I think everybody on this board would at least have to admit that it's best for everybody if he starts winning next year right away.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What non blue blood teams make the NCAA tournament every year? Unless you are Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky an expectation of making the tournament every year is unrealistic and foolish.

On the flipside, what programs that don't suck don't make the tourney 3 of 4 years and retain the coach?

• Funny
Reactions: Cyfanisu

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
15 wins is the minimum. Duke, for example, has 37 wins. And a terrific smile
I would like to see a few more. Even if TH doesn't return there is enough coming back along with the recruits coming in I would think 18 would be minimum. We get 12 or 13 this year, that is only five to six more. I can think of 3 or 4 that got away this year that could easily be turned next year. So I don't think getting 18 is asking too much. The next season should be tourney time. Don't miss it 3 straight years.