What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I would like to get this established now. Where Steve Prohm is concerned, we have a tendency to "define mediocrity downwards". By that I mean, if 8 years ago I would have told the Cyclone fan base that we would have a coach who would have a 13-win season and a 10-win season and still be retained, they would have been absolutely shocked. Yet now that it has actually happened, many are actually in favor of the retention.

I would like to know what the floor is for next season. If we wait until next season to define it, I think it will get lowered and lowered and lowered to the point where there is virtually no floor at all, for the sake of retaining him no matter what.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think they have to be an NIT team next season for him to stick around. If not, he should be fired but my guess is that any improvement will keep him his job.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would like to get this established now. Where Steve Prohm is concerned, we have a tendency to "define mediocrity downwards". By that I mean, if 8 years ago I would have told the Cyclone fan base that we would have a coach who would have a 13-win season and a 10-win season and still be retained, they would have been absolutely shocked. Yet now that it has actually happened, many are actually in favor of the retention.

I would like to know what the floor is for next season. If we wait until next season to define it, I think it will get lowered and lowered and lowered to the point where there is virtually no floor at all, for the sake of retaining him no matter what.

you do realize that we don’t define what the expectations are, right? That’s Jamie.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The bare minimum is 10 wins for the season. THT, LW and TH’s early departures will provide more reasons to keep CSP.

The expectations should be NCAA Tournament but the reality is we are 2-3 years away barring an All Big 12 grad transfer.

Reactions: RotatingColumn

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think the question is more personal rather than the belief that any of us are the athletic director. But then again you would believe we are in good hands even if we win single digits next year.

nice to see you go and disagree with all of my posts. At least I wasn’t disappointed we won Saturday.

he’ll get fired if he isn’t a bubble team next year. And that’s what it should be.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This place is going to be fun the next two years.

ScarJo makes everything better, though --

c0c.gif

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
NCAA tournament or blow everything up. Can’t miss the tournament 3 out of 4 years and expect to keep your job.

If things are trending up at all next year you are out of your mind if you think JP is going to fire CSP. I'm not saying this is right or wrong....

• Disagree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I consider myself to lean more on the "sunshine-pumper" side of the scale, however I think Prohm either needs to make the tourney or be solidly on the bubble next year. Missing the tournament 3 out of 4 years with our fan support should be cause for long-term concern.

We are not good this year and (barring a miracle) are likely going to struggle the remainder of this year, but nothing changes for next year's roster. We were always going to lose Haliburton, Nixon and Jacobson.

I like Prohm as a person and I think he can recruit, but I don't want to watch the program to continue to slide. He needs to figure out why he's getting out-coached and why his players aren't able to execute his game plans. Apathy has set in already. A bad year next year will make that exponentially worse.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
For you the plane's been crashing int the mountain for the last 5 years... Don't be a d!ck!

Maybe answering the question would be helpful. Lots of people from Cat’s gang wanted to suggest that CSP is a coaching upgrade from the previous regime. Now we reminisce about how close we were in 17-18. I think 18-19 was a success even with the February funk.
But you are correct that this staff’s winning pct in close games, failure to get good looks in end of game situations, endorsement of long 2’s, failure to put a premium on 2 for one opportunities and peculiar time out useage are all reasons why I don’t think we are in good hands.

Still have season tickets, still go to the Big 12 tournament, still support the kids but I’m not going to say I’m confident about the program when I feel we have the 8th best in-game coach in the Big 12.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
nice to see you go and disagree with all of my posts. At least I wasn’t disappointed we won Saturday.

he’ll get fired if he isn’t a bubble team next year. And that’s what it should be.

Thanks for the answer. And I was there on Saturday and not disappointed at all. But I’m fairly certain that even if we go .500 you will be back here telling us that he deserves a couple more years.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84 and awd4cy

Help Support Us

Become a patron