What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What "trend"? Last year doesn't count?

We aren't going to the tournament next year. That will make 3 out of 4 years. Last year was absolutely a disappointment given the talent on our roster.

If you think this program is fine, and headed in the right direction, you're either an idiot or you like bad basketball and enjoy watching Iowa State be a laughing stock.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
What non blue blood teams make the NCAA tournament every year? Unless you are Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky an expectation of making the tournament every year is unrealistic and foolish.

Now, I agree with you that NCAA tournament, NCAA tournament, last, NCAA tournament, last isn't great and I have no qualms with Prohm being on the hot seat. But I do have big problems with people that say things like the NCAA tournament should happen every year.
Gonzaga

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Do you not see any difference from where Johnny and Steve took hold of the program?

OK, now I love Johnny as much as anyone here. But, he was here for 14 years. He took over a terrible program, granted, but he had a soli 10 years where it was his team totally. And they rarely won on the road, we always were biting our nails for a Tourny bid (although it seemed harder to get in back then, but not after 85), and defense was kind of an interesting concept that other teams played on us. We had great recruits, we played hard, the crowds were great, Johnny's fist pump was second to none, I lost my voice at every single game and it was great. But, Johnny is bassically totally responsible for everything that happened after 84 and it was not always good. he had his ups and downs too.

and remember those rankings in conferencd are out of 8, not 12

1980–81 Iowa State 9–18 2–12 8th
1981–82 Iowa State 10–17 5–9 6th
1982–83 Iowa State 13–15 5–9 5th
1983–84 Iowa State 16–13 6–8 T–4th NIT First Round
1984–85 Iowa State 21–13 7–7 T–3rd NCAA Division I First Round
1985–86 Iowa State 22–11 9–5 2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
1986–87 Iowa State 13–15 5–9 6th
1987–88 Iowa State 20–12 6–8 5th NCAA Division I First Round
1988–89 Iowa State 17–12 7–7 T–4th NCAA Division I First Round
1989–90 Iowa State 10–18 4–10 6th
1990–91 Iowa State 12–19 6–8 5th
1991–92 Iowa State 21–13 5–9 T–6th NCAA Division I Second Round
1992–93 Iowa State 20–11 8–6 T–2nd NCAA Division I First Round
1993–94 Iowa State 14–13

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I really don't have an idea of how we will do. I am in the "time will tell" camp.

The thing that bugs the crap out of me is the posters who use terms like "rebuilding year" and not under what that means. A rebuild is not limited to one season and it is a gradual process. We can't just declare "rebuilding year" and then expect to be a top team in the league the next year.

I think this season should be titled "Murphy's Law". Here's why
  • We lost three players that were expected to be starters this year. Fault him for thinking this if you want, Prohm expected Lard (until they part ways) and either THT or LW to be back. HUGE blow.
  • Two promising freshman transferred out a day before the season started. We found out later that they were not so promising.
  • Prohm planned to lean on Nixon to be a STUD of us. The lights were too bright for him. HUGE blow.
  • Jacobson happened. Or rather, didn't happen. Big blow.
  • Loss to Florida A&M. Yuck
  • Start of conference is super tough.
  • Can't hit a three to save a life.
  • Every post starter immediately regresses when given the starting role.
  • TH got hurt. Biggest blow.
It's tough to get over A LOT of those hurdles. I'm not sure what you can blame on Prohm and what you can't. I mean, he has coached them well enough to get 20 open looks from 3 a game and MOST of them are bricks.

On the bright side, Bolton has progressed. Jackson has progressed. Grill has gotten the hang of alot of aspects of the game; he's just unplayable until he can hit shots.

Coaching is hard.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We aren't going to the tournament next year. That will make 3 out of 4 years. Last year was absolutely a disappointment given the talent on our roster.

If you think this program is fine, and headed in the right direction, you're either an idiot or you like bad basketball and enjoy watching Iowa State be a laughing stock.

Are you suggesting we fire Prohm now because we might be bad again next year?

I don't think we really know what direction the program is headed in. You can guess, but you don't know. Under Prohm we were good the first two years, really bad the 3rd year, good last year (with all Prohm players BTW), bad again this year. There is no "trend" with what has actually happened, only a trend in what you think will happen. I prefer we make decisions about whether to keep coaches or not based on what has actually happened. If we suck next year, I'll agree it's become a trend and would jump on the "fire Prohm" bandwagon.

College athletics programs don't follow some mythical linear trend. They go up and down, with hopefully more ups than downs. Having too quick a trigger firing coaches makes it harder to hire good ones.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Psyclone and jsb

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Are you suggesting we fire Prohm now because we might be bad again next year?

I don't think we really know what direction the program is headed in. You can guess, but you don't know. Under Prohm we were good the first two years, really bad the 3rd year, good last year (with all Prohm players BTW), bad again this year. There is no "trend" with what has actually happened, only a trend in what you think will happen. I prefer we make decisions about whether to keep coaches or not based on what has actually happened. If we suck next year, I'll agree it's become a trend and would jump on the "fire Prohm" bandwagon.

College athletics programs don't follow some mythical linear trend. They go up and down, with hopefully more ups than downs. Having too quick a trigger firing coaches makes it harder to hire good ones.

We've had 3 seasons with Prohm's players. 2 have been horrible. The decent one was massively disappointing and nowhere near the squad's potential. Year 4 is shaping up to be Year 3 Redux.

This is not acceptable at Iowa State. Or maybe it is, based on the way a lot of our fans are reacting. But it shouldn't be acceptable at Iowa State.

Prohm should have been fired 5 minutes after the Florida A&M game.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We've had 3 seasons with Prohm's players. 2 have been horrible. The decent one was massively disappointing and nowhere near the squad's potential. Year 4 is shaping up to be Year 3 Redux.

This is not acceptable at Iowa State. Or maybe it is, based on the way a lot of our fans are reacting. But it shouldn't be acceptable at Iowa State.

Prohm should have been fired 5 minutes after the Florida A&M game.
Fire the coach that got to 3 NCAA tournaments in 5 years and won 2 Big 12 tournament titles less than halfway through the season? Good luck convincing any decent coach to come here with that short of a leash.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Fire the coach that got to 3 NCAA tournaments in 5 years and won 2 Big 12 tournament titles less than halfway through the season? Good luck convincing any decent coach to come here with that short of a leash.

Or let apathy set in, and recruiting fall off as we miss the tournament for the 3rd time in 4 years after going 8 consecutive seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
LOL, you might be on to something. Seriously; there doesn't appear to be any consequences having Shoe Companies as your Bagman. We'll have to see how the KU trial goes after the season.

But Adidas is the company that gets caught. Nike knows how to do it and get around the rules; see Marvin Bagley.

• Agree
Reactions: Go2Guy

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Because your question was asked in ignorance, so i had to spend an entire post explaining to you what 'expectations' actually means.

Expectations vs Goals

The goal is to make the tournament every year/play for championships.

Expectations fluctuate more given circumstances.

Beginning of the year alot of people expected this team would miss the tournament, or at most be on the bubble.

Not saying this is acceptable to be 3/5 to make the dance with our 'tradition', but to expect a tourney bid 10/10 is just not going to happen here.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Every heard of the phrase "arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon"?