What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by UnCytely, Feb 10, 2020.

1. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +7,764 / 547 / -8
    We're talking about next year. If he doesn't make it next year, it's 3 of 4 missing the tourney. He'll be back for next season, we're all pretty much in agreement on that.

2. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Ratings:
    +6,436 / 389 / -12
    That would qualify as significant improvement. I know this season has been a disaster but we aren't miles away from the bubble. I mean, we are in terms of record but in terms of quality of play, if a couple things go different, we have a chance.

My expectation is the tournament. Barring a huge exodus, if we make the tournament next year, I think we are a program with a solid foundation that has balance for the first time in a long time. At worst, we will lose two guys next year in Solo and Lewis. So, we'd have a tournament team that's returning everything without considering potential grad transfers. That's a program that's on the right track and since I'm not sure there are much in the way of one and dones or two and dones coming in, your roster management is a lot more predictable.

I'm not saying that's going to happen. In fact, at this point I'd say it's unlikely but Prohm is likely going to be here next year and I've decided it's more fun to look at it as if we will improve and good things are on the horizon becaus

3. IASTATE07

IASTATE07 Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

May 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +12,398 / 494 / -7
    I mean TJ came back while we were in limbo and it wasn't to be an assistant.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. cyclone4L

cyclone4L Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2013
    I do stuff with software
    Ratings:
    +2,085 / 39 / -0
    Story Time

I'm sure most of us have had similar experiences to this. I have known a few people who grew up rich because their family owned a business. When the mother or father looked to retire, they handed the company off to their children. The new CEO (son/daughter) only worked at the company for a few years and chose the company because they knew they would own the company eventually.

The company survived, but as the seasoned veteran employees left, the business started to struggle. Quality dripped, Bad hires were made. Some of the companies actually went under because of it.

Prohm is a really good coach. The guys love him and rally around him because of it.

However; he inherited an EMBARRASSMENT of riches and he never had to learn how to coach in high major basketball. It's hard to see the team's shortcomings when shots are falling like crazy and you are winning.

Larry Coker didn't need to coach the '01 Hurricanes;he just needed to make sure they were suited up to play that week.

Prohm is learning how to coach. We have seen growth recently. He's not going anywhere this year and I doubt next year, too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +11,342 / 784 / -17
    It would totally shock me. Why forfeit the millions he has coming to him, and what program would buy out his contract?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dandy

Dandy Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    Ratings:
    +12,709 / 451 / -12
    If this is a Prohm job security thread now, I want to propose an idea for him...

It is time to get new assistants. Switch it up before you get the boot. Go and get a really good post position coach. You know guards but you need to develop better bigs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +28,802 / 1,025 / -17
    Me, too. It's a crazy idea.
    Prohm forfeits millions.
    ISU forfeits millions, which would be the fund to recruit/buyout/hire a new coach.
    All this so Prohm can leave a job where he's away a lot to take a lower-paying job where he's away a lot.

Try harder, people. That's not how things work.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cyfanisu

Cyfanisu Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Ratings:
    +151 / 12 / -1
    Baylor, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Purdue make the tourney most years.

9. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +15,573 / 1,229 / -31
    michigan State is a blue blood.

Oklahoma has been very similar to us. Remember Krueger barely got his team in with tre Jackson. People point to last year being a disaster for us, nothing compared to that year for Oklahoma.

10. Cyfanisu

Cyfanisu Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Ratings:
    +151 / 12 / -1
    Exactly. Last years team should have been/had the talent to finish in at least the top 3 of the regular big 12 season.

11. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +7,764 / 547 / -8
    He absolutely did not think LW would be back this year. After Maui if he thought THT would be back this year he was a fool.
    Those freshman were not promising, that's why they transferred. Recruiting fail.
    Prohm had spent a year watching Nixon in practice. If he didn't know what he had on his hands, failure on his part.
    Bummer on Jake.
    Loss to FA&M. Largest upset in FPI history. How is that bad luck?
    Start of confrence is tough - This is the toughest conference in the country. It's all tough.
    Can't hit a three... he recruited the roster.
    Everybody regresses, he recruited the roster.
    TH got hurt, bummer, but we sucked before that.

Again, most of these things are the result of things directly in his control.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +7,764 / 547 / -8
    #192 BryceC, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    I'm pissed about this season and last year was a real rollercoaster. But it was a good year. I don't think a reasonable person can argue that.

Edit to add: You can make the argument that they didn't max out their talent level. Totally reasonable take. But it still resulted in a 6 seed. If that's ever not at a good year at ISU we've gone blue blood.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Tulsa, OK
    Ratings:
    +878 / 88 / -5
    Because the program was in the same state leaving Wayne Morgan's hands as it was leaving Fred Hoiberg's…..

McDermott was a lot of things but the situation, both in the program and financially as an AD was entirely different.

14. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +7,764 / 547 / -8
    I don't get this conference finish argument. You finish first or who cares. He got a 6 seed which is great for our program historically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cyfanisu

Cyfanisu Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Ratings:
    +151 / 12 / -1
    Agree. In an interview about the CSP hire, Pollard said that he wanted someone with head coaching experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 86 / -2
    About as much sense at it would have been evaluating LE using his last two rather than his first three.

17. CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 86 / -2
    Well, there was this..........

Of course that doesn't explain "how"........but it does indicate "can". And that's all I can go on. To speculate about players who haven't even set foot on campus......and some we are still recruiting would have made as much sense as speculating on TH, THT, Jacobsen and Shayok before last season. Makes for some fun back and forth BS during the slow months....but that's about it. I go with what has happened. He has done it before.....he can do it again. You are one who doesn't think he can......that's fine. You are one who doesn't want to give him a chance because he might succeed and you just don't like him......that's BS.

18. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ratings:
    +8,146 / 362 / -12

Objectively, that was a significantly more successful season. But I don’t consider last basketball season to be a failure on the court. However, off the court it was a huge failure - failure in developing, recruiting, and retaining players. It was a very poor year in all of those areas for the program.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +16,647 / 196 / -0
    Trae Young

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Ratings:
    +10,715 / 396 / -7
    This is exactly right. I can't stress enough if you aren't planning for attrition in this day and age you aren't doing your job. 85 dudes left school early for the NBA last year. There were over 850 transfers. The days of "attrition" being an excuse are gone.

• Agree Agree x 3