OFFICIAL POST GAME THREAD -KU vs ISU

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
First game I've seen this season. The freshman are going to be really good. Darks, Johnson, and Johnson will all be All Big 12. Looks like we need help on the defensive line. Wouldn't mind seeing that 2 minute offense used throughout the game ( seemed like the team had better timing and didn't give KU time to set up all those blitz packages). All in all kinda what I expected. The team is young and played young. Look forward to watching them progress. Oh yeah, Thank you Gene for getting a scholarship kicker on board.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Thoughts...​

Another tough loss. However, let's look at this objectively. If at this point you don't think this team is light-years ahead of where they were last year, I don't know what you've been watching.​

Rep to you. +1. :notworthy:​

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
Actually, what's bugging me is the people who show a McCarney (/Walden/Criner/Duncan)-era mentalty. Kansas had only scored twice when people started moaning that we were going to lose 42-20. People called "game over" twice, before the Cyclones came back to score--and that's only the tip of the iceburg of the whining, the loser mentality.

Freakin' A, if you can't recognize that this team, these coaches are different, then you've got a serious problem. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to curl up in a ball, stick your head between your legs and kiss your *** good-bye, or run around like Chicken Little when an acorn hits you in the head crying The Sky is Falling, go ahead and do it, but turn in your Cyclone fan card while you're at it.

Or you can decide that you're going to change.

This team, these players, these coaches, deserve one hell of a lot better.

That was a great post.

The other thing that I saw in the game thread was people calling for Phillip Bates, and I wondered about it a couple of times as well. But I think that we saw the coaches turn the ball over to Austen, and will let him play through mistakes, instead of giving him the quick hook.

jmeeksISU

Oct 3, 2008
Re: Good teams do not put themselves into the positions

A win is a good game. A win for a program like us is a good game. It doesn't make us a good team. This was an entertaining game.... not a good game.

SpokaneCy, you've put it well. Everybody should be able to compete with everyone else on the first weekend of conference play. Everyone is reading too much into that #20 ranking. If Kansas loses a couple games and finishes unranked, it's not so much of a "good" game. Entertaining yes.

Hopefully Chizek expects more out of this team. A 20 point lead going into the second half should be good for a win.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

SpokaneCy, you've put it well. Everybody should be able to compete with everyone else on the first weekend of conference play. Everyone is reading too much into that #20 ranking. If Kansas loses a couple games and finishes unranked, it's not so much of a "good" game. Entertaining yes.

Hopefully Chizek expects more out of this team. A 20 point lead going into the second half should be good for a win.

Hoping all fans can see how close we are. Chiz is the right guy and he's bringing in some new blood. Our future remains bright.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Man, it's frustrating always coming up short in games like this. KU is good but they're not THAT good. Fortunately, there are positive signs and I'm hopeful that things will change soon but we could have had this one.

Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not big on Arnaud's mechanics. Doesn't it seem like he takes too much time releasing the ball and will overthrow guys a lot? Hopefully they can work on that.

Nice to see so many young guys making big plays. I'm hopeful things will get better but it's definitely frustrating right now.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Yep, nothing quite like taking all credit for a good performance away from our team. Pull the rug right out from under 'em. "They weren't really that good". Pure nonsense. Whether they're rated #16 or not, this is still a quality Kansas team.

Reactions: superdorf

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not big on Arnaud's mechanics. Doesn't it seem like he takes too much time releasing the ball and will overthrow guys a lot? Hopefully they can work on that.

I'm baffled as to what you're seeing. 27of 44, with three drops, and I've always seen one heck of a quick release. Kansas put on a lot of pressure in the 2nd half.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I see people bashing recievers for drops on the last drive but to me appears that in that situation AA has one throw, the bullet regardless of where the recievers are on the field. Didn't we see this late in one of the other games. I'm interested in any intelligent discussion anyone might have on that issue.

We lost. Being close shows progress from year to year, but winning can change the momentum of a season.

scubapohl1

Jun 1, 2006
Panama City Beach, FL
Consistency. We need consistency (nothing new there I guess)

We didn't have a "Good game" We had a "Great first half" and a good 2nd half of the 4th quarter.
3rd quarter was bad, and it made a difference.

Last week we had a good 2nd half, but the first half was terrible.

Consistency would change this program

No question.....

This is a great young team. They're just making a lot of mistakes. I hate dropping a game like this but there were a lot of positives.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
When the going got tough, we got back in the game. And were a heartbeat away from winning. This was a big step forward--just not an immense one.

The going got tough long before we decided to respond. If you told us before the game started that we would lose by 2, yes, most would have taken that.

If you would have told us before the game that we would allow 28 unanswered points and blow a 3 score lead, in our house, in one freaking quarter, then I think some people would be pissed off.

If you would have told us that we would have the ball with a chance to win at the end of the game, we would have open receivers on 3 plays, and not gain a yard, then I think some people would be pissed off.

For the record, I'm not pissed off. I think I've almost become immune to the groin kick that we fans receive more often than not. However, I certainly understand the frustration.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Ron Zook:

Year One: You lose big
Year Two: You lose close
Year Three: You win close

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
That game was so stupid, why do we get so close and always lose. The thing I hate most of all is that we lost to Kansas

Last edited by a moderator:

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
All I have to say is that it takes 4 quarters to win a ball game. The proof is in the last 2 games.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This win gets you excited for the future, but it was a heartbreaker. 2nd half offense was abissmal.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Defense got tired at the end. The more 3rd down conversions we convert the more time our offense is on the field and the less our defense is. We have to start converting 3rd downs especially ones shorter than 4 yards.

Was the defense tired the whole second half? The only time we stopped them was the fumble, and then we promptly gave it back.

jmeeksISU

Oct 3, 2008
Defense got tired at the end. The more 3rd down conversions we convert the more time our offense is on the field and the less our defense is. We have to start converting 3rd downs especially ones shorter than 4 yards.

I'd agree with this. And I think what would help this is get a little more out of the running game. Some power running on first or second down to get three or four yards and shorten the third down chances.