OFFICIAL POST GAME THREAD -KU vs ISU

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Oh and by the way thats probally I don't have a history of Dan McCarney bashing, I'm just stating a fact here

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Just like McCarney's teams, this team MUST learn how to win. This team hasn't grasped that EVERY play for our program is a "must win". Chiz will get this group into a position where they know how to win, where every play has absolute meaning. That comes with more physical and mental toughness and experience that can only come..... with experience.

None of those players will tell you it was a good game.
Okay... I can't believe I'm arguing whether or not this is a good game... but here we go.

I wouldn't expect the players to say it was a good game... it doesn't change the fact that it was.

We played a top 20 team to the end... had chances to win. Held a VERY potent offense to 0 first half points.. etc, etc.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Frankly I don't think it's wrong here to have wanted more out of this game.

We had some great play, showed some resilliance, but we had a chance to make a huge statement here and didn't.

People are starting to revert to the Dan McCarney **** and are taking the moral victory. Gene Chizik isn't about Moral victories. I'll be he even says it in post game interviews.

It's ok to show some freak'n emotion here people. Melt down no, but emotion yes.

Gah I need a Dr. Pepper

I'm with ya..... nobody has said we suck - nobody has blamed coaching or palyers of anything.... We just don't have the ability to grab opportunities when it counts the most. BUT WE WILL!!!

Entertaining game, but not a good game.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Mangino was interviewed on the Jayhawk network after the game. He had mild praise for ISU, indicating ISU is well coached and plays hard and is where KU was 5 years ago.

Iron24

Jul 16, 2008
Watch out next year, Big12.

After listening to this game I would have to agree. This team is very young as many of you already know and once they find their footing in this conference, look out big12 foes!

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
We are not coaches, we are fans. Yes we can and should expect more, but you have to be happy with game like that when we were 12 point underdogs to the #16 team. There is still alot to look forward to and this team is getting better.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Consistency. We need consistency (nothing new there I guess)

We didn't have a "Good game" We had a "Great first half" and a good 2nd half of the 4th quarter.
3rd quarter was bad, and it made a difference.

Last week we had a good 2nd half, but the first half was terrible.

Consistency would change this program

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Okay... I can't believe I'm arguing whether or not this is a good game... but here we go.

I wouldn't expect the players to say it was a good game... it doesn't change the fact that it was.

We played a top 20 team to the end... had chances to win. Held a VERY potent offense to 0 first half points.. etc, etc.

Depends on what you mean by "good" game. Again, there were good stretches in the game, but on the whole it was a game where we left MANY opportunities on the field.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I'm with ya..... nobody has said we suck - nobody has blamed coaching or palyers of anything.... We just don't have the ability to grab opportunities when it counts the most. BUT WE WILL!!!

Entertaining game, but not a good game.

Yeah, thats how I'm feeling right now. It's disappointing but par for the course. We did show some life and I'm encouraged for the future, it's just frustrating to see it right there but just out of reach

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
Flag Guy, I agree, this isn't the time to make excuses for this team, and I don't see a lot of that on here.

I think that we need to be disappointed in this loss, absolutely, but I think that we are seeing enough good things that there is reason to be optimistic.

Let's go get the Bears next week.

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
Man that was a hard game to watch. Chizik said there was going to be some growing pains but man that one hurt. I hope Chizik gets the troops to rebound and learn from the mistakes and look focused next week.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Defense got tired at the end. The more 3rd down conversions we convert the more time our offense is on the field and the less our defense is. We have to start converting 3rd downs especially ones shorter than 4 yards.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
This is about what I was expecting, though I thought it'd be an OT game for a long time there in the 3rd quarter. Missing that 2-point conversion killed that thought, though.

I'll say it again, too, this team is FAR better than their record indicates. I would not be surprised at all to be 5-3 following the A&M game. I could see them losing one of the next three games, but the next three games are the easiest stretch of the season.

Great game, I hope if any of the players check the boards, that they don't get down on the negative comments and build upon this game. There's just a lot of youth, a few mistakes on the coaches end, but all in all, they were in the game when everyone else thought they shouldn't be. It's frustrating to give up a 20 point halftime lead, but I didn't doubt for a second that the 2nd half would be a cakewalk.

If we have to lose, I'd rather have them be close losses than blowouts. This year can still be saved, but the next few years are going to be fun.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
People are starting to revert to the Dan McCarney **** and are taking the moral victory. Gene Chizik isn't about Moral victories. I'll be he even says it in post game interviews.

Actually, what's bugging me is the people who show a McCarney (/Walden/Criner/Duncan)-era mentality. Kansas had only scored twice when people started moaning that we were going to lose 42-20. People called "game over" twice, before the Cyclones came back to score--and that's only the tip of the iceburg of the whining, the loser mentality.

Freakin' A, if you can't recognize that this team, these coaches are different, then you've got a serious problem. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to curl up in a ball, stick your head between your legs and kiss your *** good-bye, or run around like Chicken Little when an acorn hits you in the head crying The Sky is Falling, go ahead and do it, but turn in your Cyclone fan card while you're at it.

Or you can decide that you're going to change.

This team, these players, these coaches, deserve one hell of a lot better.

Last edited:

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Thoughts...

Another tough loss. However, let's look at this objectively. If at this point you don't think this team is light-years ahead of where they were last year, I don't know what you've been watching. This Kansas team didn't beat, but humiliated us 45-7 in Lawrence last year. This is a team that is in the Top 20 and was by all accounts supposed to beat us by 14. Would I have liked to win? Hell yeah, more than anything. All you can ask for in a coach's second year is improvement, and that's what I'm seeing. I think if we fast-forwarded a year or two we win this game.

That said, a couple of things I didn't like.

1.) Catch the ball. TWO passes right in receiver's hands pop up on that last drive.
2.) Someone needs to tell our backs that sometimes the best move is to try to go through a defender rather than sidestep him. Use that momentum! I can count at least four times off the top of my head that we were left with __-and-1 yard situations that would never have happened if the back just put his shoulder down and ran through the guy to get that extra yard instead of dancing around and getting put down by extra help from the D.
3.) Big plays. Just can't blow coverages like that.

That said, I believe before the season I predicted we'd be 2-3 at this point, with maybe one more win in us. At this point, I think Baylor, Nebraska, and even A&M are winnable.

Goals for the rest of the year:

1.) Win a road game
2.) Beat either Nebraska or A&M
3.) At the very least, have the end of the Mizzou game be as gut-wrenching as the end of the Kansas game.

Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron