OFFICIAL POST GAME THREAD -KU vs ISU

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
and we are still Iowa State, land of playing close and losing.

Exactly. When KU got that first td you could see the entire stadium with that here we go again feeling. BTW who was supposed to cover the RB on that play, what a joke. I am tired of this close but no cigar BS. While the Oregon State's of the world take 21-0 lead over USC to halftime and bend but don't break in the second half and win we take a 20-0 lead to the half and forget to show up in the second half. Chizik can always go with "We won the first half".

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
MWitt, I don't think that it was fatigue, it was momentum. The long TD pass got the Jayhawks fired up, and they rode that momentum for about 24 minutes. They score a lot of points, and will continue to for the rest of the time that Reesing is there. He is pretty darn good, and that long TD pass let him get comfortable.

I don't know why you are on here trying to start arguments, but the momentum swing, from that one play, allowed a pretty darn good offense to get confident.

But, the fact that we were able to turn that back around in the fourth quarter, especially after that interception, showed some mental toughness, and we have never seen a mentally tough Iowa State football team since I can remember.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Nothing better than going to saturday class seeing a 20-0 lead on versus and then coming back in time to see 35-33 bad guys. Oh well, building takes time, and these guys are only going to get better. Take the fight to Baylor and make it last 4 solid quaters! GO STATE!

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Or maybe--here's a crazy thought--we don't have as much depth as we'd like. After all, we've got plenty of safeties and linebackers to toss out there, don't we?

And it's not like some of the starters on defense don't have decided shortcomings...:skeptical:

Explain something to me.

Last game we were a second half time. Credit goes to coaches because of our adjustments. The same lack of depth was present, but we played much better in the second half.

This game, our defense stopped no one in the second half. This time, the excuse is depth. The same guys who were able to overcome this the week prior, even though they spent MORE time on the field in that game than this one.

You, my friend, need to stop looking down at fellow Cyclone fans for having a dissenting opinion because they don't spin everything the way you see fit.

With that said, your smiley was cute.

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
Explain something to me.

Last game we were a second half time. Credit goes to coaches because of our adjustments. The same lack of depth was present, but we played much better in the second half.

This game, our defense stopped no one in the second half. This time, the excuse is depth. The same guys who were able to overcome this the week prior, even though they spent MORE time on the field in that game than this one.

You, my friend, need to stop looking down at fellow Cyclone fans for having a dissenting opinion because they don't spin everything the way you see fit.

With that said, your smiley was cute.

Never mind, it makes sense now, you don't like Coach Chizik.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
MWitt, I don't think that it was fatigue, it was momentum. The long TD pass got the Jayhawks fired up, and they rode that momentum for about 24 minutes. They score a lot of points, and will continue to for the rest of the time that Reesing is there. He is pretty darn good, and that long TD pass let him get comfortable.

I don't know why you are on here trying to start arguments, but the momentum swing, from that one play, allowed a pretty darn good offense to get confident.

But, the fact that we were able to turn that back around in the fourth quarter, especially after that interception, showed some mental toughness, and we have never seen a mentally tough Iowa State football team since I can remember.

I agree wholeheartedly. It was momentum. Those who are trying to say it was fatigue are making excuses.

What I'm disappointed in was it took 28 points before we were able to respond offensively, and with the exception of Reesing's fumble, we didn't respond defensively.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Chizik can always go with "We won the first half".

I can assure you that probably won't happen...

We just need to find that one guy on each side of the ball to make a play when we need it. That defensive lineman to wreak havoc on short third down plays and that receiver that has a nose for the ball and wants to pick up a team and carry it. We're close...very close...so close it hurts even worse to lose a close one...

Guys, take that second half UNLV team, the first half KU team, and this team has the talent to be very, very good.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Then I suggest perhaps saying lame. Or stupid. Most people nowadays would feel that using "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" isn't terribly...respectful.

can we please get back on topic about the KU vs ISU football game....:skeptical:

thanks

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Never mind, it makes sense now, you don't like Coach Chizik.

Way to crack that code. I'm 100% on the Gene Chizik bandwagon. I think our progress is clear, and we're obviously headed for better days. You decided this because I thought it was BS to say our defense was tired?

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
“The last series right there was pretty dismal," ISU head coach Gene Chizik said. "We were dropping balls and we were very sloppy. We had a couple times where we really should have been able to get some yards and make some plays at critical times in the game. They totally outplayed us for most of the second half. The bottom line is everybody talks about playing 60 minutes and we haven’t done that yet, and that’s really disappointing to me.â€￾

Little something from Chizik's postgame. I love that the man doesn't make excuses.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Way to crack that code. I'm 100% on the Gene Chizik bandwagon. I think our progress is clear, and we're obviously headed for better days. You decided this because I thought it was BS to say our defense was tired?
I think the KU offense rested the whole 1st half....

like 7 possesions.....4 punts and 3 TO's maybe had 15-16 plays...?

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Little something from Chizik's postgame. I love that the man doesn't make excuses.
I wouldnt have it any other way. Id rather know what exactly we have for a team than here BS and sugar coating. THERE ARE NO MORAL VICTORIES for GC and I absolutely love that.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I'm really getting sick of the "moral victory" talk.

Has the team gotten better... YES. Have they played a complete game... NO.

That is the bottom line. If they can put a complete game together they will have a chance to win against whoever the opponent is.

Reactions: coachdags

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx

Actually, it was your response to Aclone, I am OK with being wrong on this one.:biggrin:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Explain something to me.

This game, our defense stopped no one in the second half. This time, the excuse is depth.

Sorry, I never clamed that any "excuse" was depth. Lack of depth is a fact, a reason. Along with "youth", those reasons are two contributing factors to the second half slide, also complicated by this crazy thing you've probably never heard of, called momentum.

As in, when some young player who hads been playing over his head blows a coverage, the other team gets a 67 yard touchdown and is enrgized.

Pot? Kettle, one, black.

I trust that you know the difference between a 'reason' and an 'excuse', far more than 'spin' and if you don't understand the difference between reasons and excuses, I'll merely lament the shortcomings of your education.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I think the KU offense rested the whole 1st half....

like 7 possesions.....4 punts and 3 TO's maybe had 15-16 plays...?

Our defensive intensity in the first half was great. Some would say that KU came out flat, but our DL was generating great pressure, and we did a great job of sniffing out a couple of misdirection plays and screens. The Leonard Johnson interception was outstanding defense. I didn't get a good look at the fumble (not on the muffed punt) because I was at the game, so I don't know if that was good defense or a mess up by the ball carrier, but there was absolutely nothing to complain about from a defensive standpoint in the first half.

Some things that were disappointing were the third down conversions and inconsistant running game. The final numbers for A-Rob weren't bad, but it's a classic example of stats not always telling the whole story.

I think this game comes down to a team who has already arrived (KU) against a team who is trying to figure out how to.