Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Is there any chance that Romar was talking about the fact that in a couple months that ISU will be a dominant team in the Big12 and TJ would be part of it, which is why he wanted to leave to be part of a considerably better team???

Yes this is likely the exactly reasoning behind it but don't stand in the way of the stampede...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Chicago has Rose (when healthy), Mirotic, Butler, Noah, Gibson, Gasol and Brooks who are all pretty good players. And I'm not sure why Fred would want to coach in the Western Conference, as Gunnerclone mentioned. Your best bet to win the finals is to take a good team in the East where you'll only have to deal with the West in the Finals, instead of every round of the playoffs.

What happens if Rose goes down for like the 4th time? I heard a lot of talk about Chicago before the season and I just don't think they're as good as advertised. Mirotic and McD were supposed to light the world on fire and it hasn't happened.

Butler is a good young player but he'll never be elite. Gasol is on his way out. Gibson is a non factor. He's just a guy.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think Rose is done being what he was. That ship has sailed. Maybe he'll get to elite status again but he can't carry a team like he did his MVP year. The multiple knee injuries is terrifying.

Durants is just one injury and I think he's been the #2 player to LeBron for awhile before his injury.
Hell I'd rather have Westbrook than Rose. Let alone Westbrook plus Durant vs Rose.

I don't think Fred is leaving on the hopes he can attract talent to that city. He's going to a young pre-built team with young stars. He can be very picky. Chicago just isn't the bell of the ball, even though I know there are a lot of Bulls fans in Iowa.

Is there anyone that would take Rose over Westbrook at this point? Agreed that Rose's days as an All NBA type are long gone at this point, he's a different player now. Chicago has also never been a premier free agent destination. It's really only the Lakers and Miami that have an established history of attracting big name free agents.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How the hell doesn't that lead you to the obvious? You've been spouting your insane ******** since the moment TJ was hired and no one agrees, anywhere, at all. That should be some clear evidence.

No one has explained the whole situation so that it makes sense.

I don't think fred is leaving this year. But I think the groundwork has been laid that TJ is the next guy. I don't think that is the best move.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I like this, kind of a John Candy talking to Steve Martin vibe to it.
Remind you of this?
[video=youtube;_akwHYMdbsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM[/video]

I think that Romar's seat is getting hot and he was speaking about that, not alluding to a CFH departure, imho.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
This thread is stupid, can we get a Mod shut down please?????

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Romar could have taken the high road. Instead, he is ****** off that his guy just wanted to coach at a better program, with a better head coach.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013

I don't think fred is leaving this year. But I think the groundwork has been laid that TJ is the next guy. I don't think that is the best move.
We have no idea if/when Fred is leaving and who will replace him. Your level of speculation is ridiculous.

IF Fred decides to leave within the next few years, TJ will likely be on the shortlist for obvious reasons. Nobody knows why TJ came back to Ames, maybe it's just because everyone knows Washington is going downhill and ISU is a top 10 program though. It's not always some kind of crazy situation where we're hiring a coach-in-waiting.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Is there anyone that would take Rose over Westbrook at this point? Agreed that Rose's days as an All NBA type are long gone at this point, he's a different player now. Chicago has also never been a premier free agent destination. It's really only the Lakers and Miami that have an established history of attracting big name free agents.

D Rose has become grant hill. Amazing talent, cant stay off the IR.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

So, you are getting bent about a theoretical situation that could be 100% wrong? Have fun with that.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Marty and Miller 100% stirring the pot now. Quite humorous.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We have no idea if/when Fred is leaving and who will replace him. Your level of speculation is ridiculous.

IF Fred decides to leave within the next few years, TJ will likely be on the shortlist for obvious reasons. Nobody knows why TJ came back to Ames, maybe it's just because everyone knows Washington is going downhill and ISU is a top 10 program though. It's not always some kind of crazy situation where we're hiring a coach-in-waiting.

But look at these factors and it just seems to make no sense why TJ came back:

-Iowa isn't close to his roots in Wisconsin
-He didn't spend 6 or 7 years of his life in Ames so he has no idea what life is like there
-His wife has no connection to Ames or ISU
-He's never been successful at ISU
-He and Fred have ZERO prior history together
-We're not going to be very good next year
-He's not making very good money
-This program isn't rising or back

So with that said it all adds up that Fred is leaving and TJ is the next coach, that is the ONLY thing I can think of that would draw him here, he probably already has the guarantee and Fred is just sticking around next year to keep up appearances. TJ will probably be doing most of the head coaching duties to get ready for the transition I would assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.