Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2013
Misleading question--I thought Otz was pretty clear about his reasons for going back to ISU.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...on-big-personalities-and-conflicting-agendas/

CDNkMdQVEAEDacI.png

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
That'd be a huge mistake, 5 years ago, sure gambling on an unproven guy made sense but after Fred has turned things around. JP would be insane to not at least play the field. This job is the most attractive its been since JP has been here.

I agree. While Fred was a gamble, he brought his legendary ISU status and NBA player/exec status to ISU, which had attractive qualities to jump-start a program. TJ doesn't have either of those. Thus I'd think "more established" coaches can compete with him for any vacancy if Fred were to leave.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Once again, CF finds a way to assume the worst in everything and overreact as a result. I think there is a reason Pollard is abandoning message boards.....

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I think the people who are complaining about CF overreacting, are in fact overreacting.

There are a scarce few who are finding any concern in this article.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I don't know Fred personally, but I'd bet my meager life savings that he wouldn't leave Georges, Monte, Naz, etc and what they've built up to this point. Absolute worst case scenario, I see him coaching only one more year. I also doubt he wants his last college basketball game to be the UAB loss.

This is something I think about as well, and I am sure it weighs heavy in Fred's decision...But on the flip side, Fred has openly said he prefers the NBA gm and watches more NBA bball than college, his contract has always had a low NBA buyout and super high college (We have made it very hard to leave for another college as it would crush ISU, and I don't think he would ever do it)...But you can't control when your dream NBA job becomes available...and if it is the Bulls, close to Ames, he has great relationship with their front office, it is a very talented roster, etc, you have to consider it when it is open.. as those jobs aren't put on a backburner for the candidate to take whenever he wants...

I hope the desire to finish coaching Georges, Monte, and the others, when a Final 4 run is really possible is enough to overlook a Chicago offer (let's face it, Denver may want him, but that will not get him to move on...) I do find it silly that people here say there is NO WAY he would leave, just as it's silly to say he is definitely leaving...We just don't know,, I think both are possibilities...

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
You mean a coach under fire of a team that finished 16-15 after starting 11-0, doesn't readily admit that an assistant left because they suck?

:shocked:

I know that JP thinks a lot of TJ. He probably even somewhat forced Fred's hand to retain him when Fred came on board (pure speculation - but Fred did mention TJ in his announcement speech).

But I have a very, very hard time believing any sort of "coach in waiting" arrangement is in play here. In any scenario really, but particularly given JP was laid up after his heart issue.

And equally so, I'm finding it difficult to see Fred jumping to the pros (even the Bulls which I've always felt was the most likely move to worry about) after his surgery this spring.
If they did this how would it explain Matt leaving unless he was forced out?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My guess, and only a guess, is that the whole staff at UW seats are getting a bit warm. No need to sign extensions to only have to pay them out later. I also believe that assistant coaches do not have really long contacts as a rule. I could be wrong though.

Well done!

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yep, I'm serious....Sure hope I am wrong....It's funny how many members here act irrational about things that could happen, simply because we do not want them to happen......The best we can hope for is that the Bulls make it to the COnference Finals (which would mean beating the Cavs), than I don't think Thibs goes anywhere....other than that, we should all worry.....Who knows if it will happen, but it is a strong possibility

Speaking of irrational.....

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
If Fred leaves, I think it's safe to say it's because he doesn't feel the support of the Athletic Director and lack of solidarity shown by Jamie with his decision to wear a tie to today's press conference.

Clearly a shot at Fred's manhood.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I'll be honest, I find it weird that not everyone sees this and I wish I was delusional enough to not see this.

I am hopeful though that maybe without the worry/threat of his surgery that Fred will decide to wait to leave for a year or 10!

How the hell doesn't that lead you to the obvious? You've been spouting your insane ******** since the moment TJ was hired and no one agrees, anywhere, at all. That should be some clear evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.