WILLIAMS: Meet J.R. Blount, Iowa State’s other Milwaukee guy who has been critical to program’s turnaround

Milwaukee native Walter Blount Jr., left, daps Pewaukee guard Nick Janowski after Pewaukee advanced to the WIAA Division 2 state tournament. Blount is an assistant coach at Iowa State and is preparing to take on LSU at Fiserv Forum on Friday.

MILWAUKEE, Wis. — When Iowa State learned of its NCAA Tournament fate last Sunday, attention was immediately placed on the storyline of head coach T.J. Otzelberger and rising star point guard Tyrese Hunter going home to dance. 

The two shared a moment on camera, with Coach pointing at the TV, telling Hunter, “You ready to go to Milwaukee?”

The often intense Otzleberger even smiled. It was nice.

These are phenomenal stories, and easy content for us hacks in the media to drool over for a week, which we have.

Meanwhile, a Milwaukee hoops legend who has been crucial to Iowa State basketball’s resurgence lurked in the background, not garnering much buzz. 

That’s generally how assistant coach JR...

Continue reading...

• Poll
Do You Work Th/Fr of March Madness

Work Schedule: Thursday - Friday

• Use Vacation/PTO

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Make up an excuse to miss work

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Work from home / watch games

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Only take off if ISU is playing

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Go into work & follow on phone/comp

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Work better cause lack of flexibility to take time off

• Work because don’t care enough to take time off

Wondering how everyone handles these two days. I always just take the two days off, but I know not everyone has that luxury - or don’t care enough to do that.

NOTEBOOK - Storylines to follow

I decided to write up some storylines I thought were important and also just fun nuggets for this weekend.

Which state has the most teams in the Women's NCAA BB tournament?

Guess which state has the most teams in the Women's NCAA BB tournament? Don't count them or look them up. Just make a guess based on your gut after completing your brackets.

Florida with 6 (which includes one in a play-in game). Texas is next with 5 (including one in a play-in game). Then North Carolina, Georgia, and Indiana with 3. Fifteen states have 2. The Women's distribution includes DC and 3 more states than the Men's.

Which State has the most teams in the Men's NCAA BB tournament?

Guess which state has the most teams in the Men's NCAA BB tournament? Don't count them or look them up. Just make a guess based on your gut after completing your brackets.

Both Texas and California have 6, but Texas has a 7th that lost in the play-in game. Virginia and Alabama are next with 4. Then comes Tennessee, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Ohio with 3.

CFTV: Conditt appreciative of second NCAA Tournament berth

Video from Iowa State's arrival in Milwaukee.

Recruiting: Tamin Lipsey the Gatorade Player of the Year in Iowa

Filter