Which State has the most teams in the Men's NCAA BB tournament?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Guess which state has the most teams in the Men's NCAA BB tournament? Don't count them or look them up. Just make a guess based on your gut after completing your brackets.

Both Texas and California have 6, but Texas has a 7th that lost in the play-in game. Virginia and Alabama are next with 4. Then comes Tennessee, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Ohio with 3.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I was wondering where Iowa would stand on teams in the tourney for both men and women combined. Having 4 in is pretty impressive, especially for a low pop state with only 4 D1 universities.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was wondering where Iowa would stand on teams in the tourney for both men and women combined. Having 4 in is pretty impressive, especially for a low pop state with only 4 D1 universities.
Drake and UNI were both fairly close too, although at most only one of them could have made it this year.

Reactions: DeereClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Relatively strong for a smaller state like ours. Texas has a combined 12. Ugh.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I must be missing someone in NJ. I only know of Rutgers, Seton Hall and St Peters. Who is the 4th?

Also, I have 4 from Alabama instead of 3- Alabama, Auburn, Jacksonville St, UAB

It's odd to see low numbers from NC and OH. Teams like Cincy, Xavier, Wake Forest, and NC State seems like they are constant participants. Not to mention both states normally have more mid-major tourney winners sprinkled in somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I must be missing someone in NJ. I only know of Rutgers, Seton Hall and St Peters. Who is the 4th?

It's odd to see low numbers from NC and OH. Teams like Cincy, Xavier, Wake Forest, and NC State seems like they are constant participants. Not to mention both states normally have more mid-major tourney winners sprinkled in somewhere.
Yeah I think NJ is only those 3 (unless I'm overlooking something, too). Only others that had realistic shot this season for auto-bid were Princeton and Monmouth.

And you're correct on Alabama w/ 4. (It's easy to mistake Jacksonville State as Florida).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I haven’t done the math but I’m guessing per capita or per eligible university we are doing way better than them.
If we go the percentage route, Iowa would have decent showing with even 1 of 4, compared to California, which has roughly 28 D1 schools (although a couple are in transition and weren't eligible this season - Cal Baptist and UC San Diego).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hmmm. For NJ, I have Rutgers, St. Peter's, Seton Hall, and Rutgers! Apparently, I went back and added Rutgers a second time when I decided to include the play-in teams. Correction: NJ with 3 teams.

Also, I did mistake Jacksonville State as Florida, not Alabama. Correction: Alabame with 4 teams.

Other than that, I was right on target! :eek:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Guess which state has the most teams in the Men's NCAA BB tournament? Don't count them or look them up. Just make a guess based on your gut after completing your brackets.

Both Texas and California have 6, but Texas has a 7th that lost in the play-in game. Virginia and Alabama are next with 4. Then comes Tennessee, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Ohio with 3.

Texas?