Worst hosing by referees in ISU history?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The correct answer is Kansas 3 pointer. We've had some unfortunate calls, many of which could've had a huge impact on ISU history. But the only call that was flat-out, 100%, indisputably wrong is the Kansas call. They admitted as such after the game and did absolutely nothing about it. And every time I think about it to this day, it makes my blood boil.

Seriously, what could have been done about it? Could they have taken the three pointer away? If so, once you do that, it changes the dynamic of the game from that point on...so do they replay the game from that point? Do they replay the whole game?

I remember many years ago in the NBA during a Lakers game, Norm Nixon made some kind of desperation FT/tip-in play at the very end of a game that ultimately gave the Lakers a win. The league ruled that the officials improperly allowed the winning points, so they replayed the game from the point of the FT that led to the score, and the Lakers ended up losing.

Last edited:

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
Not the worst one but ISU vs. MU football a few years ago in Columbia. We had shut down Brad Smith all game and were up by 17 or so. Chase Daniel came in as a freshman and Missouri came back to tie it up. We forced and recovered two fumbles near the end of that game to seal the win and the refs missed them both. OT loss. I was there, anyone remember that one?

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Seriously, what could have been done about it? Could they have taken the three pointer away? If so, once you do that, it changes the dynamic of the game from that point on...so do they replay the game from that point? Do they replay the whole game?

They stopped play to give Homan his second free throw, you bet your *** they could've taken the 3 pointer off the board at that point. Dead ball, simple as that!!! Seriously.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

I remember many years ago in the NBA during a Lakers game, Norm Nixon made some kind of desperation FT/tip-in play at the very end of a game that ultimately gave the Lakers a win. The league ruled that the officials improperly allowed the winning points, so they replayed the game from the point of the FT that led to the score, and the Lakers ended up losing.

You do remember that ISU lost that game in overtime don't you? That alone tells me that that 3 pointer played a key role in how the game played out.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
They stopped play to give Homan his second free throw, you bet your *** they could've taken the 3 pointer off the board at that point. Dead ball, simple as that!!! Seriously.

I wasn't talking about during the game. You said a mistake was admitted after the game. The question I'm asking is if the mistake was admitted after the game, what could have been done at after the game to correct the error? You can't just take off three points that were scored during the game, because the game was likely played differently because of those three points.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I wasn't talking about during the game. You said a mistake was admitted after the game. The question I'm asking is if the mistake was admitted after the game, what could have been done at after the game to correct the error? You can't just take off three points that were scored during the game, because the game was likely played differently because of those three points.

Ok sorry, I didn't mean anything could be done after the game. They obviously knew right then and there during the game that they ****ed up, which is why they gave Homan his 2nd shot. That is when they could've and should've taken the 3 off the board.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

You do remember that ISU lost that game in overtime don't you? That alone tells me that that 3 pointer played a key role in how the game played out.

Thank you for reiterating my point.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Not the worst one but ISU vs. MU football a few years ago in Columbia. We had shut down Brad Smith all game and were up by 17 or so. Chase Daniel came in as a freshman and Missouri came back to tie it up. We forced and recovered two fumbles near the end of that game to seal the win and the refs missed them both. OT loss. I was there, anyone remember that one?

Yes and both times he was ruled down by the referee on the other end of the field! And both were definitely fumbles. Terrible.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
Wondering what the biggest screwjob we've gotten from refs has ever been. There have been a lot in basketball, but personally I think the #1 hosing was Seneca Wallace's touchdown against Florida State. Keeping in mind not just how bad the call was but also what it cost us, what does everyone think?

This for sure!

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
October 7th,2000. Home game against Nebraska.
National TV and by far the worst officiating I've ever witnessed in any sporting event.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
I read the first 4 posts and wanted to cry. But I will agree that the loss in the elite 8 takes the cake. I got so angry when I saw that I almost had a stroke.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Ok sorry, I didn't mean anything could be done after the game.

And that's what I'd be interested to know...if Big 12/college rules permit some kind of correction after the game. As I posted, the NBA rules apparently permit replaying the game after a blown call...at least they did at that time.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
1.) Kansas free throw/3ptr raping by the officials

2.) FB at Mizzou when Chase Daniels came in as a Freshman.

3.) Sam Hill travel in Big 8 Championship

4.) Elite 8 game

This is the worst one IMO. Steve Paris intercepts the game tying drive and takes it to the house. They rule it "down by contact" BEFORE the pick. What. The. ****.

Made it worse that I drove to Columbia for that nut kick.