Worst hosing by referees in ISU history?

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
Also, how has no one mentioned the Todd Blythe TD called back against KU in 2005. Would have been a 3 TD lead in the early 4th quarter.

Not to mention the other reversed called at the end of regulation where we stuffed them at the goal line and called a turnover on downs and then reviewed and called a touchdown when you couldn't even see the ball in the replay.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Obviously the MSU game is the answer although I would like to add the 3 pt basket by Kansas in between our FT's a few years ago.

This is my vote because it could have been easily corrected since it was so plain black and white that you can't score between a 2 shot FT attempt. Had that game been in Hilton I would bet you that they would have wiped the 3 pointer off the board because you could bet all hell would have broken loose with our fanbase had they not. The 3 came down to be a pretty important one too because wasn't that the final difference of the game in the end?

All these other "hosings" you guys are mentioning are more judgement calls than a blantently obvious mess up by the refs like the KU game was where there was a rule in place that they could cancel out what just happened and no one, even the KU fans could have argued it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I honestly didn't think Blythe's catch against KU in 2005 was a TD after seeing the replay multiple times.

I just thought of another one though. Didn't we score a TD against Baylor at home when we lost that wasn't called? Seems like it was Coleman and he broke the plane obviously, but yet no TD??

It was worse than that. We lead 10-7, and Coleman went in for the TD to give us a 17-7 lead. AFTER he broke the plane, he fumbled, and Baylor recovered for a touchback. It was very clear that he broke the plane prior to the ball coming loose, but they let Baylor have it, and they went downfield to score and take a 14-10 lead.

clintr

Nov 12, 2007
Ames, IA
A few years back, Nebraska was playing against Iowa State at home for Men's Basketball in 06-07. All game the officials let Alex Maric did whatever he wanted, both offensively and defensively, while Jiri took elbows fists, and knees to the body consistently. The officials then had the audacity to make calls on the opposite end when Jiri would put his hands straight up and call the foul on the near 7’-0” with talent. In fact, the officials were ignoring Marge fouls so much so, I’m pretty sure Alex could have raped a horse at mid court and the officials would have not stopped to look.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This is my vote because it could have been easily corrected since it was so plain black and white that you can't score between a 2 shot FT attempt. Had that game been in Hilton I would bet you that they would have wiped the 3 pointer off the board because you could bet all hell would have broken loose with our fanbase had they not. The 3 came down to be a pretty important one too because wasn't that the final difference of the game in the end?

All these other "hosings" you guys are mentioning are more judgement calls than a blantently obvious mess up by the refs like the KU game was where there was a rule in place that they could cancel out what just happened and no one, even the KU fans could have argued it.

While I agree that was the biggest hosing in my lifetime, I also recall that it was the correct ruling to keep the pts. on the board. They had a big article about it after the game and some crap about while it was obviously a blatant error (that ultimately cost us the game), at the time it was noticed, you could not remove the pts from the board per the rulebook.

F'd up. So while the refs were wrong in letting the play continue after the 1st miss, they were "technically" correct per the rulebook to leave the pts. on the board after the error was identified.

Stupid as Sht though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Again, I still think had that game been in Hilton and not the Phog that 3 pointer would have come off the board. Refs know well enough that they would have had stuff thrown on the floor had that been upheld at Hilton.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Again, I still think had that game been in Hilton and not the Phog that 3 pointer would have come off the board. Refs know well enough that they would have had stuff thrown on the floor had that been upheld at Hilton.

Would have been interesting for sure as that would have conflicted with the rulebook even though it is the moral thing to do.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
This thread begins and ends with the KU free 3-pointer during a 2 shot freethrow. Nothing can compare to that.

kicknutif5.jpg

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Would have been interesting for sure as that would have conflicted with the rulebook even though it is the moral thing to do.

I'm sure they would have found a way to explain it saying that the "rules" state you cannot score between a 2 shot foul because the ball is dead. Again, I think that one all boiled down to how you interpret the rules because both rules are technically correct plus you can throw in the dead ball rules in the mix too. They just chose to go with the one that allowed the basket to stay on the board.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Its still the MSU game. It was the biggest game in the history of ISU, and one of the worse calls made in the tourny, ever. If that game is in KC that call is never made. There is no NCCA Champ banner in Hilton becuase of that call.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I'm sure they would have found a way to explain it saying that the "rules" state you cannot score between a 2 shot foul because the ball is dead. Again, I think that one all boiled down to how you interpret the rules because both rules are technically correct plus you can throw in the dead ball rules in the mix too. They just chose to go with the one that allowed the basket to stay on the board.

U are probably right.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Its still the MSU game. It was the biggest game in the history of ISU, and one of the worse calls made in the tourny, ever. If that game is in KC that call is never made. There is no NCCA Champ banner in Hilton becuase of that call.

I won't dispute that. I was so mad after that game I remember just talking to myself over, and over saying "they can't do that! there is no way the refs can get away with that! something has to happen!". :no:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I won't dispute that. I was so mad after that game I remember just talking to myself over, and over saying "they can't do that! there is no way the refs can get away with that! something has to happen!". :no:

I was a freshman at ISU and I remember watching that game in the dorms and I believe it was unseasonably warm and you could just hear the entire campus erupt when we lost the game because everyone's windows were open. :no:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
While I agree that was the biggest hosing in my lifetime, I also recall that it was the correct ruling to keep the pts. on the board. They had a big article about it after the game and some crap about while it was obviously a blatant error (that ultimately cost us the game), at the time it was noticed, you could not remove the pts from the board per the rulebook.

F'd up. So while the refs were wrong in letting the play continue after the 1st miss, they were "technically" correct per the rulebook to leave the pts. on the board after the error was identified.

Stupid as Sht though.

I've wondered about this, have they changed the rule? What's to prevent a scorer from adding a point here or there for the home team as the game progresses? I mean, it's up on the scoreboard so we can't take it off, right? The rule makes no sense in a situation where there never should have been a point.

Oh well, this one has always sat on my mind as one of the dumbest things ever to happen. Referees constantly interpret the rules as the game goes on. Allowing travels, missing fouls, calling fouls that didn't happen. I still don't understand, even knowing the rule, how these points were left to stand. We should start counting every basket ISU makes in warm ups. I mean if you can't take points off, you can't take em off.

To me, this is the biggest injustice we've suffered. Because it's so blatantly stupid. You can't count points that never existed as real points, weather or not some ******* managed to get them onto the scoreboard. IMO, it's a rule that could be skirted and used to home team advantage more. What about charging, where the basket doesn't count? Do they ever take those points off if the scorer has a twitchy finger? IMO, this one wins because it's so stupid and there was nothing we could do to prevent it. MSU game was bad as well, terrible really, But I don't know, it was almost a given for some reason to me, that I knew MSU was going to win it all that year. The announcers, etc. It's like I knew the NCAA was going to give it to them.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
It has to be the Kansas 3 pointer. For the most part all the others are judgment calls and those sometimes go against you. Sure it seems these go against us more than for us, and in big situations at that, but still judgment calls. The 3 pointer was just flat out referee incompetence. In retrospect (since we lost the game anyway) we should have pulled the team off the court and forfeited if they didn't take the points off.

To answer someones question about what should have been done after the game. I agree at that point we had lost the game and nothing could be done about that. However, all the referees in that game should have been officially reprimanded (if not suspended for a game or 2) and we should have at least received an official apology.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Absolute, hands down, no question break 'em down like a shotgun and bore 'em out .050 over came a few years back vs KU atg Phogg Allen. ISU shooting 2 Free Throws. ISU player missies the first shot and KU - WHILE THE FARGING BALL IS DEAD - rebounds the ball takes it to the other end - DID I METNION THE BALL WAS DEAD? - and scores AND THE REFS COUNT IT!!!!! AND ISU LOSES BY ONE FLIPPING POINT!!!!!!

The referees said some BS about how once the points were allowed they couldn't be removed. AARGGHH!

How many think ISU could have scored when the ball was dead vs KU and have the points count? Can I see a show of hands? Nobody - right.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
It has to be the Kansas 3 pointer. For the most part all the others are judgment calls and those sometimes go against you. Sure it seems these go against us more than for us, and in big situations at that, but still judgment calls. The 3 pointer was just flat out referee incompetence. In retrospect (since we lost the game anyway) we should have pulled the team off the court and forfeited if they didn't take the points off.

To answer someones question about what should have been done after the game. I agree at that point we had lost the game and nothing could be done about that. However, all the referees in that game should have been officially reprimanded (if not suspended for a game or 2) and we should have at least received an official apology.

I have to wuibble with that. Incompetent is not the word. Crooked is the word. Everybody, certainly every referee knows you can't score when the ball is dead. It HAD to be a conspiracy. Nobody is THAT stupid. Supporting me in my theory is the failure to act on the part of the league. In retrospect, for sure, every knowsw those points should not have been allowed. But no action was taken whatsoever. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the league even commented on it. I thnk that is the worst hosing suffered by any team any time anywhere.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I forgot all about KU game with Blythe and the QB sneak.
For sure with Blythe, and also I believe the Sneak, the play was ruled in ISU's favor at first, and no doubt going to be replayed. However, sometime between the official that called the TD and the WHitehat, the call got changed to KU's favor putting the "Indisputable evidence" (and crappy camera angles) against us.
I was there and no one who knew the rules in our section could believe they changed the initial call before replaying it.

down2cyz

Jan 11, 2008
The rule states an offensive player has to have room to establish position when coming down with a rebound. If the defender is in that space, it is a blocking foul.

However in Auburn Hills it a double foul, alternate possesion with any basket called off.

Paul Shirley fouls out, Spartans get the ball, and one is called off.

Iowa State self destructs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron