Worst hosing by referees in ISU history?

UNIClone

Apr 10, 2006
While there have been many, the MSU "blarge" call is it. Of any bad call in ISU sports history, this one by far hurt the most because it likely cost ISU the NCAA championship that year.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Not the worst one but ISU vs. MU football a few years ago in Columbia. We had shut down Brad Smith all game and were up by 17 or so. Chase Daniel came in as a freshman and Missouri came back to tie it up. We forced and recovered two fumbles near the end of that game to seal the win and the refs missed them both. OT loss. I was there, anyone remember that one?

Good grief. I just threw up in my mouth a little. I had apparently attempted to block this one from memory. I still have the game on tape somewhere, and yes, like someone already said, both times the "down by contact" ruling came from the official on the opposite side of the field, 30 yards away from the action.

The following year, Stinkel ****** and moaned to the Big 12 about the holding call that cost his team the game against us and got an official apology from the conference. Do you think we got an apology for the game in 2005? Nope.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
We are Iowa State

IowaState.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/ATOWNCY/IowaState.jpg

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
To the person who started this post, i have finally gotten over these horrendous calls, especially the Tony Yelk FG. I was in grade school at the time and watching over and over the tape of the game. That FG was as good as freakin Dan Murray's against PSU last year....

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Can I at least ask for a PM why, im getting deleted? Im not saying anything that bad. I think I am the one who is getting hosed the worst right now

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Can I at least ask for a PM why, im getting deleted? Im not saying anything that bad. I think I am the one who is getting hosed the worst right now

A while ago, I think you might have set the record for shortest thread life. That bugger was up for barely a minute...

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
A while ago, I think you might have set the record for shortest thread life. That bugger was up for barely a minute...

If that. Anyway. Im depressed cuz of this thread and i agree they were all hose jobs, and now I guess I'm a trouble maker:sad:

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Another one that hasn't been mentioned is the personal foul spearing penalty last year on LJ in the Iowa game. It should have been on Moecki he lead with his helmet LJ lead with his pads. Changed the whole outcome.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Good grief. I just threw up in my mouth a little. I had apparently attempted to block this one from memory. I still have the game on tape somewhere, and yes, like someone already said, both times the "down by contact" ruling came from the official on the opposite side of the field, 30 yards away from the action.

The following year, Stinkel ****** and moaned to the Big 12 about the holding call that cost his team the game against us and got an official apology from the conference. Do you think we got an apology for the game in 2005? Nope.

I was at the game, and that's exactly what I did on the 2nd one. It was so incredibly bad. The only thing that kept me from me committing some crime at the game was the fact that I couldn't stop laughing at the guy who screamed "FREAKIN' SKLADANY!!!" after every completed pass. He was a hoot.

I remember Steve Paris breaking on the ball, ripping it away from the receiver WHO WAS ON BOTH FEET IN BOUNDS and taking it to the house. Nope. That's coming back. Sorry guys.

Also, how has no one mentioned the Todd Blythe TD called back against KU in 2005. Would have been a 3 TD lead in the early 4th quarter.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Here's a couple...

Cameron Dollar push off on Holloway '97 tourny.

Traveling call vs. KU in Big 8 title game. Someone refresh my nightmare... was it in '84 or '86? Wasn't the call against Tompkins?

This. Blatant charge.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Another one that hasn't been mentioned is the personal foul spearing penalty last year on LJ in the Iowa game. It should have been on Moecki he lead with his helmet LJ lead with his pads. Changed the whole outcome.

Plus Moecki fumbled and we recovered. Almost broke my neighbors TV for that call. They officials took away a great play from us. Totally gave them the mo and they went on to score on that drive. In all likelihood we would have taken the ball and drove down to the 1 yard line after a beautifully called drive. Then on 4th and goal from the 1, do something like run the option for a 5 yard loss.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I was at the game, and that's exactly what I did on the 2nd one. It was so incredibly bad. The only thing that kept me from me committing some crime at the game was the fact that I couldn't stop laughing at the guy who screamed "FREAKIN' SKLADANY!!!" after every completed pass. He was a hoot.

I remember Steve Paris breaking on the ball, ripping it away from the receiver WHO WAS ON BOTH FEET IN BOUNDS and taking it to the house. Nope. That's coming back. Sorry guys.

Also, how has no one mentioned the Todd Blythe TD called back against KU in 2005. Would have been a 3 TD lead in the early 4th quarter.

I was at that Missouri game as well. I must have blocked these events from my memory because I am having a difficult time remembering exactly what happened. I guess I am doing myself a favor.

Also, yes, I recall the KU game in 05 as well. Blythe's catch was first ruled a touchdown, as I remember it, and would have given us a 21-3 lead. It was reviewed and overturned, it's 4th down, we punt, and KU marches down for a TD... only our D makes a stand, and on 4th and goal, KU's QB sneak appears to have been stopped, and ruled a turnover on downs. But wait. They review that play and award KU the freakin' score. What could have been a 21-3 lead became 14-10 on two reviews that go against us. :no:

Only at ISU.

Edit: The score would have been 21-6, as KU had a second field goal. Instead they score to come within 14-12, and then they converted for 2 points to tie the game.

Last edited:

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
I was at that Missouri game as well. I must have blocked these events from my memory because I am having a difficult time remembering exactly what happened. I guess I am doing myself a favor.

Also, yes, I recall the KU game in 05 as well. Blythe's catch was first ruled a touchdown, as I remember it, and would have given us a 21-3 lead. It was reviewed and overturned, it's 4th down, we punt, and KU marches down for a TD... only our D makes a stand, and on 4th and goal, KU's QB sneak appears to have been stopped, and ruled a turnover on downs. But wait. They review that play and award KU the freakin' score. What could have been a 21-3 lead became 14-10 on two reviews that go against us. :no:

Only at ISU.

I remember both of those calls. And I believe that was one of the first, if not the first year of instant replay in college. I may be biased, but I thought they were both called correctly initially, but to screw ISU, they overturned them both. To this day, I laugh whenever I hear the announcers talk about “undisputableâ€￾ video evidence. I want to know what “undisputableâ€￾ video evidence they had on both of those calls.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I honestly didn't think Blythe's catch against KU in 2005 was a TD after seeing the replay multiple times.

I just thought of another one though. Didn't we score a TD against Baylor at home when we lost that wasn't called? Seems like it was Coleman and he broke the plane obviously, but yet no TD??

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron