What’s going at Casey’s?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was in a recently built nice Caseys in Preston, MN on Thursday (there's no Kwik Trip/Star in town either) and they had a sign on the sub counter saying they were permanently closed.

Last edited:

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
I'm guessing a big reason for the difference in customer service between Kwik Star and Casey's is what they pay their employees. I saw a help wanted sign at Kwik Star recently that indicated the yearly earnings. I don't recall the exact amount, but I remember being a bit surprised because it was higher than I expected. I'm guessing the hourly wage at Casey's isn't much better than working the drive thru at Bee Bops.
Kwik Star / Kwik Trip (in Wisconsin) was voted one of the best places to work many years running. They treat their employees pretty well along with a very nice benefit package. I don't know what Casey's has compared to them but I would guess they are lacking.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was in a recently built nice Caseys in Preston, MN on Thursday (there's no Kwik Trip/Star in town either) and they had a sign on the sub counter saying they were permanently closed.
Did they still have pizza going? Or was that closed also?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They had hot food. But no made to order subs any more.

If that location (major highway in a county seat town with no other real gas station competition) is cutting subs, they're all going to be cutting subs.
Could be lack of workers. A local town built a dollar general. I was in there about 3 weeks after opening and boxes were all over the place, I asked if things were going slow and the counter lady said they have 3 total employees so they don't get much done while waiting on customers. The manager was hired away from casey's. She was a cooler stocker for caseys.

About 4 months later a dollar tree opened and they had 4-5 total employees. The guy who waited on me had street clothes on and the manager looked at me and said that he walked in, they asked if he needed a job and they hired him and had him start work on the spot.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Could be lack of workers. A local town built a dollar general. I was in there about 3 weeks after opening and boxes were all over the place, I asked if things were going slow and the counter lady said they have 3 total employees so they don't get much done while waiting on customers. The manager was hired away from casey's. She was a cooler stocker for caseys.

About 4 months later a dollar tree opened and they had 4-5 total employees. The guy who waited on me had street clothes on and the manager looked at me and said that he walked in, they asked if he needed a job and they hired him and had him start work on the spot.
I assume it's lack of workers.

But if they can't staff a location that has no other competition in town, they're going to have a hell of a time where there is competition in general.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I also feel Casey's is on a downward slide. Their fuel options are often abysmal and some of their help is questionable. The last time I stopped at one the pumps weren't accepting cards. Went inside again after fueling and the soda machine was broken. Cheese pizza only and I was stopping to grab a slice on a long drive.

Casey's is a pizza joint to me at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUcyclones11

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I noticed a couple weeks ago that Casey’s bought out the gas station by Dairy Queen and Wal Mart in north Ames. Wonder what that was all about. I hope they keep it open 24 hours. The only gas stations in north Ames are 2 Casey’s.

Reactions: Deere2004

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I noticed a couple weeks ago that Casey’s bought out the gas station by Dairy Queen and Wal Mart in north Ames. Wonder what that was all about. I hope they keep it open 24 hours. The only gas stations in north Ames are 2 Casey’s.
We used to stop there on our way home from games all the time but it became a complete crap hole with ticked off workers so we started going to the Gilbert Casey’s whenever possible. Hopefully they clean that up and get workers who aren’t mad at the world.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
We used to stop there on our way home from games all the time but it became a complete crap hole with ticked off workers so we started going to the Gilbert Casey’s whenever possible. Hopefully they clean that up and get workers who aren’t mad at the world.
I never noticed that, they've been cool every time I’ve been there.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Gary Thompson I believed owned that gas station along with the one besides B-bops. They are both Casey's now.

Reactions: CyNews

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I go there all the time, still mostly the same workers as before, but they always seem fine to me. The manager is very friendly.

Help Support Us

Become a patron