Weird Ames Playground Thing

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Resurrection of my favorite thread of all time.

This place still creeps the **** out of me... one time the guy was parked on the road, driving forward at about .5 mph... while we followed him. Make sure you see the skulls on the posts, kinda hard to see with the trees. The house on the north side of the road might be creepier with all the tall grass around it.

Place just is odd.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
The back story from what I have heard is that a drunk driver hit and killed his daughter on that road. He waits outside for that car to pass again. He built the shrine/playground for his deceased daughter. Probably no where close to the truth but just the story I heard.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
The back story from what I have heard is that a drunk driver hit and killed his daughter on that road. He waits outside for that car to pass again. He built the shrine/playground for his deceased daughter. Probably no where close to the truth but just the story I heard.

That is the same I heard, but 100% of my info probably stems from CF - so same source you have, lol.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
That is the same I heard, but 100% of my info probably stems from CF - so same source you have, lol.

This is the truth. I never speak of this place. I dont know anyone who has ever driven by there and talked about it after doing so. And none of those people said they would go back.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
attachment.php

so where is the spot of memorial?
The square structure on the south side of the street across from the house

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Been by it a few times already. Our kids heard about it, so we have served as tour guides a couple of times. Thankfully though with different vehicles each time. I had heard a school bus had run over his daughter. Never had the guts to actually get out and look at it though.

Do not go gentle into that good night!!

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
This video seems more tame than the stories that have circulated. It shows up around 10:10 if you want to skip the story part.

[video=youtube;ocm50cWcR9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocm50cWcR9Q[/video]

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
This video seems more tame than the stories that have circulated. It shows up around 10:10 if you want to skip the story part.

[video=youtube;ocm50cWcR9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocm50cWcR9Q[/video]

Nice find. I have driven by it many times and never had any issues. (mostly during the day) But I have heard the stories of him chasing people at night before.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
OP hasn't been heard from since 11:43pm, I think it's safe to say he's dead. I call dibs on his CF points.

Reactions: h-man64

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
John Samuelson. Seems like it'd be pretty easy to research info on deceased kids.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I've heard all the stories about his kids being killed are BS and that he's just an artist who built this.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
Take a selfie with the guy who lives there and I'll give you $10.
Btw he doesn't drive a white van. He drives a sketchy red truck.

Last edited:

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I talked about this in the urban exploring thread.

He is just eccentric man with some artistry and maybe not all there. The house/farm directly across the road is that of a friend of mine. I spent many days out there in high school. My friends dad knows the guy and is in that video talking. He is a solitary guy and gawkers can get to him especially when they trespass. Drive by and look but don't get out and trespass.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
According to the State Fire Marshal website, Jon Samuelson, 83 of Boone died in an intentional set bonfire on March 24,2023. When I read it, I knew that name sounded familiar, sure enough, it's the owner of the Shrine. There are no news articles or obituaries concerning his death. This certainly adds to the mystery of this property. Not sure if "intentional" means he meant to start a burn fire and died by accident, or he was intentionally trying to kill himself.

Here is the link to website with the fire info: https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/state-fire-marshal/fire-fatalities

I drove the property today and it definitely looks like it hasn't been touched in a couple months. I didn't see where the fire might have been, but it was so overgrown that's probably why. Will they county or state take control of it if he has no living relatives? Maybe that's what they are trying to figure that out now. Just a bizarre ending to such an interesting story.