Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I have to say.... having Fred on staff and all the NBA talk does make the silly season a bit more interesting.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
first, Iowa isn't home for him so that is a suspect comment at best. Second, he's not going to say he is going to be the head coach soon. BUT he would tell romer that.

I spent 6 years in Ames between college and work. It felt like home to me.

GiantMidget

Apr 11, 2015
I'll be honest, I find it weird that not everyone sees this and I wish I was delusional enough to not see this.

I am hopeful though that maybe without the worry/threat of his surgery that Fred will decide to wait to leave for a year or 10!

A lot of people that are insane don't really believe that they are insane. I think you may meet the qualifications.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@TravisHines21: Tons of stuff on Iowa State recruiting and some thoughts on the Lorenzo Romar quote http://t.co/TMoUpxkJiC

The Romar quote
Now, let’s step aside from recruiting for a second. Washington coach Lorenzo Romar has set the ISU corner of the Internet ablaze today when he responded to a question as to why assistant T.J. Otzelberger would return to ISU.

“I think if you look in the next few months it will become pretty obvious,†Romar told the Seattle Times. “And I’ll just leave it at that.

â€
That’s being interpreted by many as an indication ISU coach Fred Hoiberg is on his way out the door for the NBA soon.
Let’s all just slow down.

Romar could have certainly been insinuating that, but it’s a vague insinuation.

Here’s what I know: Hoiberg has publically been linked to a bajillion (approximate) NBA jobs in the past few years. It’s gotten to the point where (I believe) he’ll simply be attached at least tangentially to every opening in the immediate future just because front offices have to at minimum appear to be doing due diligence on a coach everyone believes could make for a fine professional option.

Also, the talk among coaches during the Final Four, which hosts the National Basketball Coaches Association Convention, was that Hoiberg’s future is in the NBA. Again, that’s a generally held thesis and prediction, not fact. The NABC convention is a place where coaches go look for jobs, network and, quite often, gossip. Hoiberg-to-the-NBA has permeated to the conversation where many just accept it as fact when everyone close to him I speak to accepts it as a possibility.

So maybe Romar knows something no one close to Hoiberg seems to. Or maybe he’s just connecting dots that media, message boards and pundits have already done for years.

The last thing I know is that ISU is a sure-fire top-10 and maybe top-five preseason team with national championship aspirations, at least one All-American, a potential NBA point guard, a 6-foot-9 shot blocking machine and a host of 3-point shooters helmed by one of the most respected young coaches in the game.

That seems like an attractive situation for any assistant, whatever the future of the head coaching position is.

- See more at: http://amestrib.com/hines-hoops/recruiting-and-romar#sthash.Rqac47Yg.dpuf

Last edited:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
first, Iowa isn't home for him so that is a suspect comment at best. Second, he's not going to say he is going to be the head coach soon. BUT he would tell romer that.

Why?

To the contrary, we've seen how hyper-secretive JP is in his previous coaching searches. I think, if it were true, it'd be highly unlikely he'd tell Romar.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I don't know Fred personally, but I'd bet my meager life savings that he wouldn't leave Georges, Monte, Naz, etc and what they've built up to this point. Absolute worst case scenario, I see him coaching only one more year. I also doubt he wants his last college basketball game to be the UAB loss.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
People are delusional if they think the comment was a Washington thing. Freaking delusional.

everything that has happened since TJ came back supports this:
-him canceling head coaching interviews that he was perfect for
-all of his comments about coming back were about coming "home" and **** like that. Hardly mentioned hoiberg at all. He was talking like a head coach.
-the sudden change in recruiting strategy that emphasizes mid-major talent transfers and regional talent.

Tj obviously told romer that he is guaranteed to be next head coach.

At least take a breath before you jump into panic attack mode. Make that a new habit.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not worried about Fred leaving and this is probably Romar's way of stirring the pot because he's not happy about losing his top assistant. Whenever Fred moves on to something else - and hopefully that isn't anytime soon - I would sure hope that we could hire someone better than TJ as head coach. Nothing against TJ but ISU is not the place to give him his first head coaching job IMO and this program has become one of the better programs in the country now that we should be able to land a proven head coach that has been successful at another major program when that time comes.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
One question I DO have...

I'm curious as to why TJ's contract hadn't yet been renewed at Washington, yet people there seem stirred up by his departure?

Seems like a long time for a non tourney team to get a wanted commodity re-signed.

Last edited:

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
No way Fred leaves this year, as many of stated. After that.....

TJ has been JP's guy for a while.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Maybe Romar doesn't think TJ was all he was cracked up to be? In the same convo he goes on to talk about UW's good recruiting classes the next 2 years getting them back on track. You can just as easily read that he thinks his program will improve over the next few months/years, without TJ. He was clearly ok with TJ leaving. Weird that people take a quote from a question about one person, then draw all these conclusions about another person.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
One question I DO have...

I'm curious as to why TJ's contract hadn't yet been renewed at Washington?

My guess, and only a guess, is that the whole staff at UW seats are getting a bit warm. No need to sign extensions to only have to pay them out later. I also believe that assistant coaches do not have really long contracts as a rule. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I cannot buy Fred leaving.. Give up a great shot at being a Legend like Izzo, Mike K, etc... or maybe be okay with the Bulls? Not a chance he becomes a NBA legend. If he goes to NBA there is a 70% chance he wants back at ISU in 3-7 years.. which by then will have lost the momentum with recruits.. My opinion, but would be a terrible, short term gain, move.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
CF offseason threads:

1- Enter a thread.
2- Choose a side.
3- Attack other side as being irrational.
4- GOTO 1 (for all you FORTRAN/BASIC users)

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No way Fred leaves this year, as many of stated. After that.....

TJ has been JP's guy for a while.

That'd be a huge mistake, 5 years ago, sure gambling on an unproven guy made sense but after Fred has turned things around. JP would be insane to not at least play the field. This job is the most attractive its been since JP has been here.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
This is jsb in this thread:

xGamRzpBQYlG0.gif

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
My guess, and only a guess, is that the whole staff at UW seats are getting a bit warm. No need to sign extensions to only have to pay them out later. I also believe that assistant coaches do not have really long contacts as a rule. I could be wrong though.

Right - but if it was up in May, what do they expect him to do? He sure as hell isn't going into next fall without a contract.

Not buying any of them are going to get fired. Only BVD fires people in May, and I don't believe he's the AD there.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I don't know Fred personally, but I'd bet my meager life savings that he wouldn't leave Georges, Monte, Naz, etc and what they've built up to this point. Absolute worst case scenario, I see him coaching only one more year. I also doubt he wants his last college basketball game to be the UAB loss.

Tend to agree with this. That some of our guys elected to stick around tells me something. I would be surprised that Fred would leave his guys with what they have going into next year. Would seem out of character IMO.

I cannot buy Fred leaving.. Give up a great shot at being a Legend like Izzo, Mike K, etc... or maybe be okay with the Bulls? Not a chance he becomes a NBA legend. If he goes to NBA there is a 70% chance he wants back at ISU in 3-7 years.. which by then will have lost the momentum with recruits.. My opinion, but would be a terrible, short term gain, move.

This is where I buy into the theory that many of us let emotion get in the way. I WANT to believe Fred wants to be the next Izzo or Coach K...but what I WANT and what he and his family may want could be very different.

Since we can't control it and nobody knows, let's just enjoy the thought of Fred being our coach forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron