Visiting Hilton for the first time...Suggestions?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Ha. We shall see. I'm slightly biased and LOVE the Phog. As stated, I truly am excited to see Hilton and I'm not coming as one of those arrogant jerks. I want to be friendly and have a good time.

If that's your approach, I can pretty much guarantee, win or lose, you will have a great time at the game. Super good people in there who love their basketball. Enjoy the game, wish I could be there! But I will be watching.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
In terms of parking, the hotel I'm staying at says it's only 1.3mi away from ISU campus so I was hoping to just be able to walk from there instead of dealing with arena parking.

Thats not a horrible walk, but 11pm in Jan it could be really cold. And if it's the hotel I'm thinking of on S Duff, the walk is dark and I'm not sure there's sidewalks the whole way.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Hey all,

I come in peace! haha. I'm a KU alum who will be making the trip to Ames for the game on Monday. I'm not one of those ****** who's going to trash talk and be obnoxious. I'm going to enjoy the atmosphere and see a great game between two terrific teams.

I was wondering if you all had any suggestions as far as places to check out, or good restaurants to stop for a bite to eat and a beer. Any suggestion for a good bar for after the game for a couple of drinks. As I said, I'm not interested in dealing with people being rude and wanting to start problems, just want to enjoy my time and watch a great game.....so if there's any spots I should avoid that would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Brian

If you are looking for the other Jayhawk fans at the game they are easy to find. Just look for the black and white striped shirts.

Jan 9, 2014
Thats not a horrible walk, but 11pm in Jan it could be really cold. And if it's the hotel I'm thinking of on S Duff, the walk is dark and I'm not sure there's sidewalks the whole way.

Ok, thanks for the insight. I live in Chicago now where it was just -50 with the wind chill. I survived that so I think I can survive whatever weather Ames has waiting for me

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
May I ask how you were referred to Cyclone Fanatic? No answer required, obviously, just curious. I like checking out other teams' websites, too.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nah, I'd rather look for people with "9 consecutive big12 champions" shirts. :)

Be prepared. Many/most of us have been waiting for this one all year long. Good shirt for a nice reaction.

I've calculated that I don't need my voice until Wednesday, except for some trash talk with one of my students on Tuesday, since he's a KU fan. Sad, sad choice.

Jan 9, 2014
May I ask how you were referred to Cyclone Fanatic? No answer required, obviously, just curious. I like checking out other teams' websites, too.

I just googled "Iowa State message board" and saw this on there. I scrolled a few posts and you all seemed to know what you were talking about so I figured it was a good group to reach out to and find out some info on what to do on my quick visit to Ames.

Jan 9, 2014
Be prepared. Many/most of us have been waiting for this one all year long. Good shirt for a nice reaction.

I've calculated that I don't need my voice until Wednesday, except for some trash talk with one of my students on Tuesday, since he's a KU fan. Sad, sad choice.

Haha I'm just teasing. I'll be in my normal gameday tshirt. Long sleeves, blue with "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" on it.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
The safe play for food is Hickory Park. Enjoy your stay, and hopefully a good game.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
The excitement for this game is huge! Hopefully our fans will still be polite to you if you are, but there was a lot of anger after last year

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
On the small chance you win, dont you dare start that rock hawk jayhawk chant.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
If you hear people chanting "over rated", they're not it's actually "**** -insert name here-", probably Bill Self or a players name.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
You'll be perfectly safe at Campustown bars, in fact you might enjoy them quite a bit. Probably a little slow on a Monday, though. Welch Ave Station will have a big crowd for the game, and there's a pretty good pizza place above that in Pizza Pit. Try the wings, Kansas fans come back to Ames just for them. Cheesebread is also a pretty good beer snack, too.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I may get some flack for this but I don't really care, Battles is better than Hickory Park. And old Battles was better than new but new Battles is still better than Hickory Park. I would skip Hickory Park if you are staying that close to campus, there are better options near by. Wallaby's is a good sports bar, if you want more of a chain there is an Old Chicago and Buffalo Wild Wings on S Duff near Hickory Park. If you are getting into town around lunchtime you should definitely hit up Great Plains, phenomenal pizza by the slice, but they only do it at lunch time. 2 slices will fill you up. A good sandwich stop is West St Deli. It is small and there is not much seating but it is a great sandwich.