Visiting Hilton for the first time...Suggestions?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." Yogi Berra

I know, I know, so hipster - but it's true. I'm not the biggest HP fan in the world, but it just annoys me when waiting two hours to get in there.

If OP is staying that close to Hilton, I'd guess you're either at the Gateway, Baymont, or the Holiday Inn down on University. I think the Tailgaters restaurant in Gateway isn't terrible, but I haven't been there - no clue if they do catered breakfast. The gas station across the street has a Burgie's Coffee in it, that's pretty decent coffee. Um... there's not a whole lot down in that part of town. Probably buzzing across Airport to get to Dublin Bay is the safest bet, or going out west and getting either Wallaby's or getting an amazing gyro at Pammel Grocery. OR you could just order Casey's Pizza and get it carryout - people from out of town would never guess that gas station pizza is some of the best in Ames, and probably wouldn't be packed.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
There's a little British pub down on South Duff, too - the problem would be that getting to it would be sort of a pain in the butt after the game with all of the traffic. It probably wouldn't be packed, though. If you want the best bar in Ames, I echo the others that say Welch Ave - it's just going to be hard to get into.

Jan 9, 2014
I don't think you will have any problem at Hilton. I think you will find it is a pretty friendly environment for opposing fans. You should tell us what you thought after the game about your trip here. Always interesting to hear opinions from opposing fans experiencing it for the first time.

Definitely. I'll come on here Tuesday at some point and give my opinion of the "Hilton Magic". So excited for this experience.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
There's a little British pub down on South Duff, too - the problem would be that getting to it would be sort of a pain in the butt after the game with all of the traffic. It probably wouldn't be packed, though. If you want the best bar in Ames, I echo the others that say Welch Ave - it's just going to be hard to get into.

That British pub on South Duff is wayyyy the **** out there. I ain't gonna lie. I don't know why they thought that would be a good location but it seems to be doing way better than I thought it would.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'll apologize in advance. If we are winning, there's 100% chance I'll be doing the Rock Chalk. It's in my blood as a Jayhawk that a Rock Chalk is needed at the end of every win.

My new advice is not to show up at all. That chant is one of the douchiest things in all of college basketball.

bclewis05

Feb 6, 2013
Thanks for stopping by. Kansas is my second favorite team behind ISU by far.

You mention after game drinks. There's a lot of nice places in Ames, but I think you'd be remiss if you didn't take a trip down to Des Moines. It's not Chicago, but it's going to feel a lot more like that than Ames. There's a place I like to go when I'm in the area, a nice little out of the way place, but has a good atmosphere and the feel of a larger city 'secret spot', plus their bartenders all know their stuff, unlike a lot of Ames places where it's "ehh...dump it in a cup, the college kids will drink it."

Check it out, it's called "Big Earl's Goldmine"...kind of a goofy name, I know, but it started from more humble beginnings, but the owner has kept improving it over time.
If you're coming to Des Moines head downtown, the East Village is a great place for some drinks. Check out a place called The Blazing Saddle for some action!

Reactions: alarson

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That British pub on South Duff is wayyyy the **** out there. I ain't gonna lie. I don't know why they thought that would be a good location but it seems to be doing way better than I thought it would.

Yeah, it's not near Hilton at all, BUT it's probably the closest bar that isn't Campustown to the Gateway area? I couldn't think of anything else... I guess maybe the Dublin Bay bar is closer, but that also may be packed post-game.

Pro tip on the British place - don't get the curry.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Well, I was kind of hoping to go somewhere within walking distance of Hilton. Game will likely end around 10:30 or so, so I was looking for some drinks in Ames before heading to the hotel to sleep and drive back to Chicago tuesday morning.

Ahh, I can understand that...well, if you change your plans, keep it in mind.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, it's not near Hilton at all, BUT it's probably the closest bar that isn't Campustown to the Gateway area? I couldn't think of anything else... I guess maybe the Dublin Bay bar is closer, but that also may be packed post-game.

Pro tip on the British place - don't get the curry.

Tip Top might be closer... but that place is sketchy as ****

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Go in, turn around 180 degrees and find your car, drive back to your sister-wife.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If you replace "coolest and most original" instead of "douchiest", you'd be accurate

Umm...no. KU fans and that dumb-*** chant are like new parents with an ugly baby. You are the only ones who think it is cool. Unless you think "GOOO BIIIIGGG REEEEDDD" was also super awesome, in which case we might as well just direct you to the Duff Ave. McDonald's because you clearly have awful taste.

Jan 9, 2014
Cabs aren't very expensive in Ames, either.

Ooh good call. Cabs after the game to a bar and then back to the hotel might be easiest...especially since I have no clue where I'd be walking and likely would get lost. Hopefully I'd end up wandering past the sorority houses haha

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron