Visiting Hilton for the first time...Suggestions?

Jan 9, 2014
Hey all,

I come in peace! haha. I'm a KU alum who will be making the trip to Ames for the game on Monday. I'm not one of those ****** who's going to trash talk and be obnoxious. I'm going to enjoy the atmosphere and see a great game between two terrific teams.

I was wondering if you all had any suggestions as far as places to check out, or good restaurants to stop for a bite to eat and a beer. Any suggestion for a good bar for after the game for a couple of drinks. As I said, I'm not interested in dealing with people being rude and wanting to start problems, just want to enjoy my time and watch a great game.....so if there's any spots I should avoid that would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Brian

Jan 9, 2014
Is Hickory Park associated with Hickory House? The only suggestion I've received so far from the only Iowa St person I know was that I should go to Hickory House.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Go to Dublin Bay for Happy Hour, check out the concourse at Hilton - pay respects to Johnny by passing by "Johnny's." Enter and enjoy HILTON MAGIC.

Jan 9, 2014
Also, I hate how some of my fellow KU fans I know are turning their nose up at this game as if it doesn't mean much since we are "always good". Any college bball fan should be excited for this game. Going to be AWESOME.

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
Hickory House and Hickory Park are one in the same, with the real name being Hickory Park. If you go down to to Main Street, try one of the beers at Olde Main Brewery - some of it is OK. If you want a little more upscale, go to The Cafe.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
i have never heard of hickory house, i am guessing they meant to say hickory park. going out after the game may be best done in non jhawk gear. i know when we went to other campuses after the game we usually changed before going out. campus town is west of hilton about a mile or so, and downtown ames (where GPSD is located) is about 2 miles to the east.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
While Hickory Park is awesome, it may be extremely busy before or after the game (you're warned). Definitely make sure to pass by Johnny's statue. As for concourse food, you can never go wrong with a walking taco. I would suggest getting here early if you can. Lines will be long (for food & cars) and the traffic coming into the parking area gets backlogged. The Hy-Vee spot has decent slices of pizza and lines are generally shorter there, but not filling.

Jan 9, 2014
Ahh, I must have confused the Hickory name. Thanks for clarification, everyone. Yeah, I anticipated long lines or waits to get drinks postgame so I'm not too concerned with it.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Someone may recommend going to "Welch," "Welch Ave," or "Campustown" for a beer after the game. I would not suggest this, especially if Kansas wins.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron