Urban Meyer Lied About Ohio State Coach's Domestic Abuse

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Do we really know that Meyer didn't tell anyone in the AD? what if he told people in the AD and it was decided that since no charges were filed they weren't going to do anything but put the guy on a probation?

Here's what I think people are missing: there were multiple domestic violence events took place in 2009 and 2015. Those were not recent. The firing of Zach Smith didn't take place until July 23 of this year when it came out that he was arrested for criminal trespass this past May. Meyer attended Big 10 Media Days on July 24 and was asked about firing Smith, and here is what he said:

Q. You said earlier that you were aware of the incident with Zach in 2009. Your inquiry into 2015 was unfounded. You couldn’t find anything. Why fire Zach now if you had kept him on staff after 2009?

URBAN MEYER: I’m going to address the 2009 because I’ve been asked about that. In 2009 Zach was an intern, a very young couple. As I do many times, most coaches and people in leadership positions, you receive a phone call, first thing you do is tell your boss, let the experts do their jobs.

We’re certainly not going to investigate. It came back to me that what was reported wasn’t actually what happened. And Shelley and I actually both got involved because of our relationship with that family and advised for counseling and wanted to help as we moved forward.

2015, I got a text late last night something happened in 2015. And there was nothing. Once again, there’s nothing — once again, I don’t know who creates a story like that.

It's that last line that is what is going to bring him down. I hate to make this political, but I think there was a professional obligation in McMurphy's story to say "Urban Meyer lied to me and to all of us (media), and I can prove it." Being a journalist I think constant attacks to media credibility has hit a breaking point and that seemed to be a very underlying message in McMurphy's story. Meyer's comments read like the textbook "Coach Speak" answer when dealing with an off-field issue. But there is a major difference between Coach Speak and lying.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Here's what I think people are missing: there were multiple domestic violence events took place in 2009 and 2015. Those were not recent. The firing of Zach Smith didn't take place until July 23 of this year when it came out that he was arrested for criminal trespass this past May. Meyer attended Big 10 Media Days on July 24 and was asked about firing Smith, and here is what he said:

Q. You said earlier that you were aware of the incident with Zach in 2009. Your inquiry into 2015 was unfounded. You couldn’t find anything. Why fire Zach now if you had kept him on staff after 2009?

URBAN MEYER: I’m going to address the 2009 because I’ve been asked about that. In 2009 Zach was an intern, a very young couple. As I do many times, most coaches and people in leadership positions, you receive a phone call, first thing you do is tell your boss, let the experts do their jobs.

We’re certainly not going to investigate. It came back to me that what was reported wasn’t actually what happened. And Shelley and I actually both got involved because of our relationship with that family and advised for counseling and wanted to help as we moved forward.

2015, I got a text late last night something happened in 2015. And there was nothing. Once again, there’s nothing — once again, I don’t know who creates a story like that.

It's that last line that is what is going to bring him down. I hate to make this political, but I think there was a professional obligation in McMurphy's story to say "Urban Meyer lied to me and to all of us (media), and I can prove it." Being a journalist I think constant attacks to media credibility has hit a breaking point and that seemed to be a very underlying message in McMurphy's story. Meyer's comments read like the textbook "Coach Speak" answer when dealing with an off-field issue. But there is a major difference between Coach Speak and lying.

I understand that but Meyer doesn't have to tell the media everything he knows. Maybe he did tell the AD and they looked into it and decided it wasn't an issue.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We have to root for one of two things:

Ryan Day wins a natty or Bob Stoops wants the OSU job.
The third scenario this is all smoke and no fire. As mentioned before it doesn't really matter what he said to the press. If Meyer reported it to the AD or other authorities he is off the hook.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and Cyder91

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I understand that but Meyer doesn't have to tell the media everything he knows. Maybe he did tell the AD and they looked into it and decided it wasn't an issue.
He doesn't have to lie about it either. He has the option to not answer the question. He could have said something along the lines of "Coach Smith is no longer a part of Ohio State University and any questions regarding his past personal history can best be answered by him." Meyer went into defense mode for a wife beater and effectively said that 2015 was "fake news" when in fact it was very real and even his wife knew how bad it was.

Edit: had Meyer said something along the lines of the statement above, he probably wouldn't have been placed on leave and there's probably little threat that he could lose his job.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
My guess as to the conclusions of the OSU investigation of the incident.

1) It didn't happen on campus or to a student, so its not a Title IX issue
2) Since it was not on Campus, its a police matter and up to the Police to investigate and not OSU. OSU stayed out of it as not to interfere in police matters or to give the impression they were steering the investigation.
3) The incident had already been reported to police, so mandatory reporting obligations were satisfied.
4) The Police investigated, no arrests were made, no charges filed. So, there was not enough to terminate his employment at that time. Messy divorce at the time etc etc.
5) When Urban Meyer said there was nothing there in 2015 he was referring to no arrests and no charges....should have been clearer at the podium.
6) Once Smith was arrested and OSU became aware of it, they fired him immediately. Per their domestic abuse policy.
7) Training and New policies and procedures put in place etc etc etc .

Same old story as always.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Why couldn't Bo Pelini be a possibility? Played at OSU and graduated. He's from Ohio, He can win in the B1G.

That's akin to saying "Why not Mangino to replace Campbell if Campbell leaves?"....completely ignores the warts and details besides the fact Pelini or Mangino have won in a major conference.