Urban Meyer Lied About Ohio State Coach's Domestic Abuse

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ohio State is a better job then the Tennessee Titans. Lets not act like Vrabel would be leaving a premier job here.

That's debateable. What isn't debateable is that OSU is, in most ways, a way better job than ISU.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I understand that but Meyer doesn't have to tell the media everything he knows. Maybe he did tell the AD and they looked into it and decided it wasn't an issue.
That just doesn’t make that much sense to me though. Let’s say he did tell the AD, why lie then? If nothing else, just say “I followed OSU policies in my treatment of it”

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'm confused why Zach Smith was never arrested or charged if there was visible abuse? In the state of Ohio, the individual doesn't need to press charges in order for someone to get arrested & charged.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So I decided to dig up some article about Jim Tressel, thinking that Ohio State set a precedent, but I was surprised to read that Tressel resigned and was not fired.

Tressel originally was suspended 2 games, which was later increased to 5 games, and was also fined $250,000 and that was for just knowing that players received tattoos and cash. Tressel resigned before he could be interviewed by the NCAA infractions committee.

If Meyer wants to say "I misspoke at media day, as Coach Smith was a longtime friend and colleague and I felt I had to defend him at the time. I do not defend his actions and I do not defend the actions of any man - or player - that commits violence against his wife or girlfriend." If he can get out and say that then maybe the university can respond with some response about how they will suspend him for a number of games.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
HIPPA only applies to covered entities. Urban Meyer wouldn't fall under that category.

Also the mandatory reporter law would supercede, even if he was.

And even if it didn't, it wouldn't be a violation to report suspected abuse to your superiors, or a designated compliance officer.

Short answer, privacy laws won't be a good thing to use as defense if he knew about this.

HIPAA, carry on. ;)
Not misspelled -- he just encrypted it. IT approves of this obfuscation.

Reactions: ISUCyclones2015

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm confused why Zach Smith was never arrested or charged if there was visible abuse? In the state of Ohio, the individual doesn't need to press charges in order for someone to get arrested & charged.

I know a woman who has been through this (husband is not a college coach and I got to know her after the situation), it is one of the most difficult things out there. Women don't want their spouse to go to jail, could get them fired and then they are out of income or child support. The officers avoid these like the plague. They do not want to handle domestic abuse cases with people that they know or are well know in the community.

Woman I know had married a local that the cops knew, they tried to just have them each go their merry way. She didn't press charges but did file divorce. She was technically o.k. and was just happy to be out of the situation and didnt want to drag her kids through it even though they had seen it a bunch.

Rocketac

Nov 29, 2015
Ft. Worth

Not an attorney by any stretch of the imagination; but there's the hard and fast legality of the contract and the optics..

Don't forget...tOSU is dealing with other Sexual Abuse scandals (Wrestling & Diving) so to retain Meyer would be a PR nightmare;

I'd suspect that while an investigation is already underway, so are buyout negotiations;

And please leave Jason Candle alone....-)

BTW relocating from The Bay Area to Ft Worth so looking forward to watching ISU @ TCU this year....

• Dislike
Reactions: jdcyclone19

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
If this wasn't added to his contract until last April I don't see how it applies to what happened in 2015.
You’d need to see the rest of the contract, but you could argue that that term doesn’t just apply going forward, but applies to everything he knows, so under the contract he was supposed to disclose this information when he signed the new agreement

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ohio State is a better job then the Tennessee Titans. Lets not act like Vrabel would be leaving a premier job here.

I would think it depends on what a coach wants.

The NFL is definitely a high pressure, thankless world but like the NBA, I'd think it's more cut and dry--you try to get really good players, and they do their job and stay out of trouble or they're out vs. college that requires policing players, motivating, red tape in recruiting, etc.

Both are places where you can totally suck at your job and stay rich and even employed which has always been baffling. What magical employment line did Charlie Weis get in? haha

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not an attorney by any stretch of the imagination; but there's the hard and fast legality of the contract and the optics..

Don't forget...tOSU is dealing with other Sexual Abuse scandals (Wrestling & Diving) so to retain Meyer would be a PR nightmare;

I'd suspect that while an investigation is already underway, so are buyout negotiations;

And please leave Jason Candle alone....-)

BTW relocating from The Bay Area to Ft Worth so looking forward to watching ISU @ TCU this year....

Wonder if the other sports will pull Gene Smith under and save the others a little. (maybe make the diving coach the sacrificial lamb since its not a bigger sport). If they hand him cash to let them can him, may save the other guys.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You’d need to see the rest of the contract, but you could argue that that term doesn’t just apply going forward, but applies to everything he knows, so under the contract he was supposed to disclose this information when he signed the new agreement

I'm curious to see if there was actually something IN the contract like this (or not) that will be the means to make the lasting decision.

• Creative
Reactions: stateofmind

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
If the new clause in the contract was added in April, whats the statue of limitation? If it was added in April and this happened 3 and 9 years ago, I'm assuming that he will still be OK as this was not part of the contract during the time of the incidents. All depends on if there was a clause of statute of limitation or something similar.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron