Urban Meyer Lied About Ohio State Coach's Domestic Abuse

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
My guess as to the conclusions of the OSU investigation of the incident.

1) It didn't happen on campus or to a student, so its not a Title IX issue
2) Since it was not on Campus, its a police matter and up to the Police to investigate and not OSU. OSU stayed out of it as not to interfere in police matters or to give the impression they were steering the investigation.
3) The incident had already been reported to police, so mandatory reporting obligations were satisfied.
4) The Police investigated, no arrests were made, no charges filed. So, there was not enough to terminate his employment at that time. Messy divorce at the time etc etc.
5) When Urban Meyer said there was nothing there in 2015 he was referring to no arrests and no charges....should have been clearer at the podium.
6) Once Smith was arrested and OSU became aware of it, they fired him immediately. Per their domestic abuse policy.
7) Training and New policies and procedures put in place etc etc etc .

Same old story as always.
The family ties really muddy up the waters in this whole thing. It almost reads like Meyer looked to other way as a favor to Bruce, and now that Earle passed away, Urban didn't have the pressure to protect Smith anymore.

Ive seen others suggest that no charges were pressed by Courtney Smith in the 2015 indecent so that Zach Smith would have means to support his kids and (soon to be ex-)wife. But after he was fired last month, there was no reason to keep the 2015 incident hidden, so Courtney turned over the photos and texts to McMurphy when he came digging.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I hope we are having this conversation about Campbell being mentioned as the front runner for a "big" job each and every year for the next two decades...

Go back and listen to all the podcasts or quotes from CW and others. They all said Campbell likes it here and likely to be loyal UNLESS a big time job from Ohio opens up like OSU. Nobody expected a coach with success like Meyer to be going anywhere. ISU always suffers because of other people's transgressions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hope this doesn't reach Hoiberg levels of affecting recruiting.

Big difference is, Hoiberg was going to the Pros; Campbell is still at the college level. If you are recruiting kids to ISU and they think maybe you won't be there, its one thing. It's another if you think, well if he wants me and goes to OSU, maybe I will get to follow. No downside possibly.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If Meyer can give even credible thought that he contacted the ADs in these incidents, it will fall on gene Smith. G Smith is around retirement age. With Z Smith not having been prosecuted for anything, that could very well be the out. I have a feeling that this will be a black eye and either Smith takes heat and leaves, or else there is some behind the door deals to have this go away. Either way, Meyer stays.

EDIT: Realized I better clarify the smiths.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I understand that but Meyer doesn't have to tell the media everything he knows. Maybe he did tell the AD and they looked into it and decided it wasn't an issue.
He doesn't have to tell the media the truth, but you have to see how getting caught lying to them, and therefore the public, is a really bad look for a guy who sells his program on integrity. He has to go into the homes of recruits and pitch to parents. Lying to the public about something as serious as this will be used against him for sure. The university has to consider that when deciding if they want to keep him on as coach.

I think what it boils down to, is if the university finds enough evidence to convince them that Urban was aware of what was going on and said nothing, they will have to let him go. If there is plausible doubt in their minds, they'll keep him. Like, if Urban's wife comes out and says "I never told him about it.".

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

2) Since it was not on Campus, its a police matter and up to the Police to investigate and not OSU. OSU stayed out of it as not to interfere in police matters or to give the impression they were steering the investigation.
3) The incident had already been reported to police, so mandatory reporting obligations were satisfied.
4) The Police investigated, no arrests were made, no charges filed. So, there was not enough to terminate his employment at that time. Messy divorce at the time etc etc.
5) When Urban Meyer said there was nothing there in 2015 he was referring to no arrests and no charges....should have been clearer at the podium.
6) Once Smith was arrested and OSU became aware of it, they fired him immediately. Per their domestic abuse policy.

I don't think #3 is correct. Mandatory reporter rules don't hinge on whether something has been reported to the police or not. I'm a mandatory reporter for my job, and there is no checking to see if police have been informed. The rule is pretty clear. If you have reason to suspect that abuse is going on, you are required to report it. And you don't stop being a mandatory reporter just because you aren't on the job site. It applies everywhere.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
https://www.chatsports.com/ohio-sta...states-next-football-coach-if-hes-fired-39355

Going through their list, #1 to #7...

#1 Stoops -- I really think he is done. He has coached his last game.

#2 Herman -- I really doubt he is going to leave Austin.

#3 Kelly -- He is a West Coast guy now/has not even coached a game for UCLA.

#4 Franklin -- I doubt he is leaving Happy Valley.

#5 Vrabel -- Has an NFL job. I doubt he is leaving it already.

#6 Schiano -- The guy has way too much taint from the Paterno scandal on him.

#7 Dantonio -- He is already 62. I doubt he is their man.

Guess who #8 is...?

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
The timing would be super strange to leave. His buyout is super high right now with the latest contract, he's building a new culture and is getting great (for ISU standards) recruits in place, new uniforms, new facility announcements, etc.
That buyout is walking around money at Ohio State. Their athletic budget is more than double what Iowa State's is. Typically, you would go the "interim coach" route, but their two most obvious choices, Wilson and Schiano have also been connected to domestic violence. And actually, anyone on staff who knew about this (supposedly every coach) should be dismissed.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
For us it's more of an Anvil of Daffy Duck
And here's OSU and their athletic budget.
baba2.BMP

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
https://www.chatsports.com/ohio-sta...states-next-football-coach-if-hes-fired-39355

Going through their list, #1 to #7...

#1 Stoops -- I really think he is done. He has coached his last game.

#2 Herman -- I really doubt he is going to leave Austin.

#3 Kelly -- He is a West Coast guy now/has not even coached a game for UCLA.

#4 Franklin -- I doubt he is leaving Happy Valley.

#5 Vrabel -- Has an NFL job. I doubt he is leaving it already.

#6 Schiano -- The guy has way too much taint from the Paterno scandal on him.

#7 Dantonio -- He is already 62. I doubt he is their man.

Guess who #8 is...?

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Vrabel just because he has the Titans job. Vrabel is an Ohio guy who played and coached at OSU. The allure to go home can be a helluva thing and the OSU job doesn't come open that often (roughly once every 10 years since Hayes).

It would be all the same things people toss out about Campbell.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It would be all the same things people toss out about Campbell.

I would feel a lot better about keeping our coach if Iowa State was an NFL franchise rather than a bottom tier power 5 program.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Which process are we supposed to trust? The acquittal of Urban or CMC's ISU football plan?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Today would be a good day to double a buyout in a certain contract. If CMC agreed to that then I'd feel better.

I don't think any buyout would really affect OSU, and at this point, Campbell could see that as the A.D. not trusting him.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I would feel a lot better about keeping our coach if Iowa State was an NFL franchise rather than a bottom tier power 5 program.

Ohio State is a better job then the Tennessee Titans. Lets not act like Vrabel would be leaving a premier job here.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018

Seems to me THIS is right! Everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon of the quick to publish media, taking away only soundbites rather than researching the issue fully themselves.

Is there anything here that doesn't seem to be true?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron