UNI to drop baseball

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
At the end of the meeting when BVD cut baseball we asked if there was anything that we could do to save the program. He said that we needed $2 million, enough to run the program for 4 years. We had that pledged by the end of the day. BVD then changed his tune and said we would have to come up with over $12 million, enough to rebuild the surplus and endow baseball...by the end of the day... Of course he wouldn't let any of that go public...

I recall the Register reported the first part (and the fact it was easily acquired), but never heard the $12M figure. My recollection was that he used Title IX to drive the final nails into the coffin, hence my comment that Dannen hopefully wouldn't go that route (after the boosters successfully raise the cash). Is my memory faulty?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
At the end of the meeting when BVD cut baseball we asked if there was anything that we could do to save the program. He said that we needed $2 million, enough to run the program for 4 years. We had that pledged by the end of the day. BVD then changed his tune and said we would have to come up with over $12 million, enough to rebuild the surplus and endow baseball...by the end of the day... Of course he wouldn't let any of that go public...

So why not take that to the public, and force his hand? If he said that the AD needed 2 million to keep baseball going, and then changes his tune when the money is raised....why not shout it from the rooftops?

Last edited:

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, BVD took a machete to the to the athletic department and went all "Jason" all over it. I think the guy was wanting to leave a legacy in any way possible and the only way to do that was to destroy things instead of build them. Yeah, he DID build that Bergstrom Practice Facility - only after about a decade of begging by McCarney...

Let's be accurate.....BVD raised the funds to put lights in Jack Trice Stadium, and expand and renovate all the parking lots around the football stadium and next to the Jacobson Bldg. BVD raised the money to put in a new video board and sound system in JTS and permanent seating in the south endzone. BVD also raised the funds for the new Academeic Center and the Bergstrom Indoor Practice Faciltiy. He left the program with over $4 million in reserve. True he had to cut baseball after being on the job for 3 months however it was the previous administration who left the department with a deficit and no reserve.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah, BVD took a machete to the to the athletic department and went all "Jason" all over it. I think the guy was wanting to leave a legacy in any way possible and the only way to do that was to destroy things instead of build them. Yeah, he DID build that Bergstrom Practice Facility - only after about a decade of begging by McCarney...

Let's be accurate.....BVD raised the funds to put lights in Jack Trice Stadium, and expand and renovate all the parking lots around the football stadium and next to the Jacobson Bldg. BVD raised the money to put in a new video board and sound system in JTS and permanent seating in the south endzone. BVD also raised the funds for the new Academeic Center and the Bergstrom Indoor Practice Faciltiy. He left the program with over $4 million in reserve. True he had to cut baseball after being on the job for 3 months however it was the previous administration who left the department with a deficit and no reserve.

BS. A poster just got done saying that it was McCarney that raised the money for the practice facility, and that BVD had very little to do with it. As far as leaving the department with $4 in revenue, A. that's not exactly a lot when you're talking a multi-million dollar operation, and B. it was at the expense of hacking and slashing programs just because he could.

McCarney raised the money for that also and the plans were in the works before BVD took over.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

The Academic Center is one facility that should be spelled correctly, Bruce.

At some point, you may just have to let this job go. Breaking up is hard to do, but this is a bit much.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Yep, it actually violates compliance rules to say things about what is happening. In fact, only 41 percent of comments can come from males in order to make it "Title IX Compliant."

Get a freaking grip.

This is a TRAVESTY.

I have a grip, i'm very disappointed UNI is getting rid of there baseball. But as an athlete, if i remember correctly, aren't allowed to be posting on message boards? That's the compliance issue I was wondering about.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I have a grip, i'm very disappointed UNI is getting rid of there baseball. But as an athlete, if i remember correctly, aren't allowed to be posting on message boards? That's the compliance issue I was wondering about.

How would anyone know that he was an athlete, unless he said otherwise, and even then, how would it be proven? That seems like something that would be impossible to enforce.

If athletes can't post on forums like this, then they also shouldn't be allowed to have a Facebook or Myspace page, or a blog, or anything where they could express an opinion that isn't school policy.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
How would anyone know that he was an athlete, unless he said otherwise, and even then, how would it be proven? That seems like something that would be impossible to enforce.

If athletes can't post on forums like this, then they also shouldn't be allowed to have a Facebook or Myspace page, or a blog, or anything where they could express an opinion that isn't school policy.

He just said he was a D-1 athlete. Many athletes have to tone down there facebook pages, and lock there pictures and what not.
There are many rules that they have to follow fyi.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
He just said he was a D-1 athlete. Many athletes have to tone down there facebook pages, and lock there pictures and what not.

Right...but for all anyone knows, he could Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. Stopping kids from posting on message boards in the name of compliance seems like something that would be very difficult to enforce.

Facebook and Myspace were bad examples, now that I think about it.

DolphLundgren

Nov 11, 2008

Thanks for the FYI. I had no idea.

Freedom of speech isn't prohibited by any rules. Speaking out against Title IX definitely isn't.

Help Support Us

Become a patron