UNI to drop baseball

RocktheDome

Mar 3, 2008
Cedar Falls
According to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, UNI is dropping its baseball program. Leaving Iowa the only DI baseball program in the state.

Link: Sources: UNI dropping baseball | GazetteOnline.com - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City

With ISU dropping its program in 2001, I bet you guys know how us Panther fans feel. Pretty disappointing.

Apparently UNI is not quite in compliance with Title IX, with us having an enrollment where 60% are female, we have to apparently spend 60% of our athletic resources on women's sports.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Tough break for UNI. I hate seeing schools drop baseball. Makes you sick.

On a side note....I really hope Wartburg is able to pick up a couple of the UNI guys.

RocktheDome

Mar 3, 2008
Cedar Falls
Yeah, I agree, if UNI is to drop baseball, it would be nice to see Wartburg be able to benefit.

I bet the Hawkeyes are happy, a couple less losses for them every year.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Only a matter of time, they were way out of compliance with title IX... Iowa has no excuse to not be a consist ant contender for Big Televen championships every year now... They go from the worst in state baseball team 8 years ago to the only one now...

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Only a matter of time, they were way out of compliance with title IX... Iowa has no excuse to not be a consist ant contender for Big Televen championships every year now... They go from the worst in state baseball team 8 years ago to the only one now...

Worst team in the state 8 years ago? They had a 59-64 record against ISU, and own a 64-22 record against UNI.

This definitely is a bummer though. I REALLY enjoy watching Iowa baseball (or atleast following it), and the Corridor Classic has been a lot of fun. Damn shame.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Worst team in the state 8 years ago? They had a 59-64 record against ISU, and own a 64-22 record against UNI.

This definitely is a bummer though. I REALLY enjoy watching Iowa baseball (or atleast following it), and the Corridor Classic has been a lot of fun. Damn shame.

I don't think he meant of all time but rather 8 years ago

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I don't think he meant of all time but rather 8 years ago

I guess yeah, after Duane Banks left the Hawks, Iowa's baseball program TANKED.

Personally, I'd like to see a little more spending on the baseball program, because Duane Banks field sucks. Pearl Field, on the other hand, is an excellent softball venue.

I've said this before, I think it's a shame that these teams are dropping their programs. I would LOVE to one day see a tournament at Principal Park with UNI, Iowa, ISU, and Drake.

MarvelousMarv

Jan 24, 2009
Well that sucks! I had a buddy play a couple of years of baseball at UNI before transferring to Iowa and blowing out his shoulder.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
That sucks. A kid from my hometown went to UNI for baseball. Since they are dropping the program, can he go to another school and play right away?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I guess yeah, after Duane Banks left the Hawks, Iowa's baseball program TANKED.

Personally, I'd like to see a little more spending on the baseball program, because Duane Banks field sucks. Pearl Field, on the other hand, is an excellent softball venue.

I've said this before, I think it's a shame that these teams are dropping their programs. I would LOVE to one day see a tournament at Principal Park with UNI, Iowa, ISU, and Drake.

Iowa baseball started sucking well before Banks 'retired'. Once they focused primarily on recruiting Illinois things started to go south in a hurry...

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Man that sucks. I remember when I was at UNI they made a run to the NCAA regional. Love the College World Series. I would love it if ISU picked baseball back, but know it wont happen anytime soon.

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
That really sucks. I actually just had a friend who committed to them a month or so ago too so its even worse for the kids.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron