*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
AF has major growth potential, IMO.

They are located in (more or less) the same media market as CSU and had double the attendance. They were a few thousand short of CU, actually.

There's also potential for national interest with them being a service academy.

Look at Navy. People are interested when they do well. I think if you put AF in a position to regularly play high-profile opponents their potential to raise their profile is very high.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
As for TAMU and the LHN, keep the source in mind there coming from Texas's side. There are 2 sides to every story.

From Byrne yesterday.

Ive also heard that texas proposed a 75/25 revenue split. No **** theyre going to turn that down.

I don't know about the 75/25 thing, but Dodds has admitted what Byrne said is true. Even Texas didn't think it would end up where it is now. However, they had the opportunity to be in on it. The proposal was 5-10 years ago, and aTm said no. A year ago, aTm went back and asked for take-backsies on the 'No'. Texas had put too much into it already and did the work on their own. So Byrne was technically right, it wasn't a deal that split the current form, but they would still be right there had they said yes.

And no, I don't have a link, it was last night and I have no idea where I saw it.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Ho hum. It is Friday. Any imminent announcements today. Tammy get to the altar yet? Has she put on her wedding (ad)dress? It must be getting a little shaky for her die hard fans. Suppose the SEC does not land that 14th team this year?

I've been wondering this as well. I haven't read every single post in this thread, so maybe it's been answered, but what if something happens and aTm doesn't get the nod from the SEC? Are they still out the door? Is their stance, "We want out no matter what and we are leaving in June 2012!" or is it, "Well, we want to leave and will continue to do everything we can to leave, in the mean time, you are stuck with us!" Because, if it's the latter, that's total ********. I keep hearing that it's almost impossible to kick a team out of a conference, but when it gets to a point like this, is there any way we can actually kick them out? I think having aTm remain at this point puts more instability into the conference than having them leave. Again, this could be all crazy talk from me as I don't really know the insides on this whole thing, but what if there is no 14th team and the SEC decides expansion is not a good idea right now.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know about the 75/25 thing, but Dodds has admitted what Byrne said is true. Even Texas didn't think it would end up where it is now. However, they had the opportunity to be in on it. The proposal was 5-10 years ago, and aTm said no. A year ago, aTm went back and asked for take-backsies on the 'No'. Texas had put too much into it already and did the work on their own. So Byrne was technically right, it wasn't a deal that split the current form, but they would still be right there had they said yes.

And no, I don't have a link, it was last night and I have no idea where I saw it.

Yes, you are correct, i dont think anyone thought the LHN deal would be this large,even texas, even as recently as last summer. That's because the actual value of that material is nowhere near the amount texas is getting.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
AF has major growth potential, IMO.

They are located in (more or less) the same media market as CSU and had double the attendance. They were a few thousand short of CU, actually.

There's also potential for national interest with them being a service academy.

I'm not saying I'm going to insist ISU join the Big East forthwith, in fact, I do think AF could be interesting. I just question the growth potential that a military academy would truly bring, and I'm not truly convinced of the national interest, either. I have friends that have served in the Army, Navy, and Air Force - the Army and Navy friends are Iowa fans and the Air Force friend is an Illini. None of them give a rat's arse about their service academy's team. And if you think there's a large officer population that cares, roughly 13% of the military are officers. First, that's not a lot, second, even officers tend to cheer for their "non-military" school of choice.

That being said, their attendance is impressive for a military academy.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I've been wondering this as well. I haven't read every single post in this thread, so maybe it's been answered, but what if something happens and aTm doesn't get the nod from the SEC? Are they still out the door?

Again, I can't find the article, but I'm pretty sure I read where Beebe said that he read the notice as not contingent. i.e. you pulled out, don't come back if it don't work out. Feel dumb with no links, but with so much around on this, I can't keep track of what was where.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've been wondering this as well. I haven't read every single post in this thread, so maybe it's been answered, but what if something happens and aTm doesn't get the nod from the SEC? Are they still out the door? Is their stance, "We want out no matter what and we are leaving in June 2012!" or is it, "Well, we want to leave and will continue to do everything we can to leave, in the mean time, you are stuck with us!" Because, if it's the latter, that's total ********. I keep hearing that it's almost impossible to kick a team out of a conference, but when it gets to a point like this, is there any way we can actually kick them out? I think having aTm remain at this point puts more instability into the conference than having them leave. Again, this could be all crazy talk from me as I don't really know the insides on this whole thing, but what if there is no 14th team and the SEC decides expansion is not a good idea right now.

Firstly, its almost guaranteed TAMU will be gone. The SEC announcement will come next week (gets them some exposure in an off week for them).

Now, if the extremely unlikely happens and TAMU doesnt get in, i almost guarantee theyre allowed back into the big 12. Too much money involved and theyre an asset financially to the big 12. They'd be in Missouri's position after last year, but worse. They could complain about things, but texas could say 'yeah, what are you going to do about it?'

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Not to mention they've been right around the edge of the top 25 in recent years and CSU has been pretty bad. They'd have won their share of Big 12 games the last couple years, not saying they'd have won a division, but they'd have competed.

AFA is the second best realistic option in the mountain region (behind BYU). I'd think New Mexico might be better than CSU. BSU has the obvious issues that have been pointed out many times.

The problem with Air Force is their ceiling. How good can they be? They're doing well right now under Calhoun, playing a lower level of competition in the MWC. But are elite athletes really going to sign up to play for Air Force if they have to enroll in military service as well? I think AFA would be limited in the Big XII by the type of athlete they can recruit, much the same way Boise State would be.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The problem with Air Force is their ceiling. How good can they be? They're doing well right now under Calhoun, playing a lower level of competition in the MWC. But are elite athletes really going to sign up to play for Air Force if they have to enroll in military service as well? I think AFA would be limited in the Big XII by the type of athlete they can recruit, much the same way Boise State would be.

Not the same way. Pretty sure that the Air Force Academy's academic standards are very high and they aren't making exceptions for their athletes. Their recruiting won't be any more restricted than it already is. What you see on the field right now is what you will continue to get, regardless of what conference they are in.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Due to their academic and service requirements, AFA would get destroyed competing in the B12 for non-FB sports. They would also get lucky to finish above .500 for FB in conference play. As a result, competing and consistently losing in the B12 would do more harm than good for their image.

Unless ND is also involved as a scheduling partner, there is little value for both the B12 and AFA by expanding with AFA.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Personally, if ND, Pitt, Louisville, WV, and Arkansas aren't options, I'd rather bring in ECU along with UCF and BYU than Air Force. I'm just not convinced the fan base with AF is as big as is being claimed.

Pitt, ECU and UCF really just gnaw at me...not because they are bad schools, but because the geographic issue. My hope is that the Big 12, Big East, and ACC will work together to bring in some schools and re-shuffle others so that there is still some geographic sanity to the three conferences.

If the time should come where someone decides to start challenging the non-profit status of the conferences and schools, those that aren't shuffling athletes across half a continent might be in a better position to defend their non-profit status.

Last edited:

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Not the same way. Pretty sure that the Air Force Academy's academic standards are very high and they aren't making exceptions for their athletes. Their recruiting won't be any more restricted than it already is. What you see on the field right now is what you will continue to get, regardless of what conference they are in.

You're right, I shouldn't have said in the same way as Boise State. But it's a similar situation. Boise State would have limited success in the Big XII because they couldn't admit partial qualifiers. Air Force would have limited success in the Big XII because a lot of athletes aren't going to want to sign up for military service, and they wouldn't be able to step up their recruiting enough to compete against stronger competition.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
You're right, I shouldn't have said in the same way as Boise State. But it's a similar situation. Boise State would have limited success in the Big XII because they couldn't admit partial qualifiers. Air Force would have limited success in the Big XII because a lot of athletes aren't going to want to sign up for military service, and they wouldn't be able to step up their recruiting enough to compete against stronger competition.

You're probably right in that regard. I wonder if you would get more Texas kids that were considering the military anyway end up leaning Air Force if they joined the Big XII though. Obviously not enough to make up the difference in competition, but I'd bet you'd see an uptick.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
ChuckCarltonDMN Chuck Carlton
MT @BryanDFischer: Pinkel to @TimBrando: "You don't hear about these issues at any other lg in the country. And we all know where it starts"

OK, we have Tech AD Kirby Hocutt saying Big 12 must get back to 10 immediately, now Gary Pinkel takes aim at conference unity. Not good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
MT @BryanDFischer: Pinkel to @TimBrando: "You don't hear about these issues at any other lg in the country. And we all know where it starts"

OK, we have Tech AD Kirby Hocutt saying Big 12 must get back to 10 immediately, now Gary Pinkel takes aim at conference unity. Not good.

When I see you were the last post, I knew it would be a negative tweet.

Last edited:

TheClone

Apr 10, 2006
KC, KS

What did Pinkel say? Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron