Not open for further replies.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Chip Brown on his morning show yesterday said that he talked to A&M assistant AD about this and that Bill Byrne (A&M's AD) was under the impression that Texas was asking them to share the expense in setting up a network, and didn't realize that it would pay for itself. So not only did they refuse the invitation out-of-hand, but they didn't even understand the proposal in the first place. In about 10 years Bill Byrne will be public enemy #1 of nearly every aggie in the country. He will be their BVD -> no vision and a series of terrible decisions as A&M fights to stay out of the cellar of the SEC.

But hey, who cares if you go 3-9 as long as you can chant "SEC SEC SEC" right?

Reactions: jsmith86

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Chip Brown on his morning show yesterday said that he talked to A&M assistant AD about this and that Bill Byrne (A&M's AD) was under the impression that Texas was asking them to share the expense in setting up a network, and didn't realize that it would pay for itself. So not only did they refuse the invitation out-of-hand, but they didn't even understand the proposal in the first place. In about 10 years Bill Byrne will be public enemy #1 of nearly every aggie in the country. He will be their BVD -> no vision and a series of terrible decisions as A&M fights to stay out of the cellar of the SEC.

And people wonder why you can't understand what aTm is doing, they don't have a clue as to what they are doing! How angry would our fanbase be if we had an opportunity like that and we turned it down not even understanding what it entirely entailed? I know there are likely some that are happy they didn't join forces with Texas, but if it would have been a group effort it wouldn't have been 'The Longhorn Network' it would have been something different. Looks like aTm had the chance of a lifetime to be involved and they ****** it down their legs...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Can we honestly put this post to bed?

No. In fact the expansion thread should be merged with this one and the thread renamed the official 2011 realignment thread. Its not like this thread has been all about TAMU from the beginnig, its had a ton of 'what next' talk.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I read that or something similar last night as well. Essentially, neither they nor Texas believed it would get to where Texas has gotten it. I guess I could maybe see how aTm would pass at the time, it was a gamble, but hindsight...man, he looks like a loser on that one.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Personally, if ND, Pitt, Louisville, WV, and Arkansas aren't options, I'd rather bring in ECU along with UCF and BYU than Air Force. I'm just not convinced the fan base with AF is as big as is being claimed.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
And people wonder why you can't understand what aTm is doing, they don't have a clue as to what they are doing! How angry would our fanbase be if we had an opportunity like that and we turned it down not even understanding what it entirely entailed? I know there are likely some that are happy they didn't join forces with Texas, but if it would have been a group effort it wouldn't have been 'The Longhorn Network' it would have been something different. Looks like aTm had the chance of a lifetime to be involved and they ****** it down their legs...

I wonder if you wouldn't have seen something more like a "Texas College Sports" network. Maybe Tech, Baylor and the C-USA schools getting games on it as well? Definitely a blown opportunity.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Personally, if ND, Pitt, Louisville, WV, and Arkansas aren't options, I'd rather bring in ECU along with UCF and BYU than Air Force. I'm just not convinced the fan base with AF is as big as is being claimed.

AF has major growth potential, IMO.

They are located in (more or less) the same media market as CSU and had double the attendance. They were a few thousand short of CU, actually.

There's also potential for national interest with them being a service academy.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As for TAMU and the LHN, keep the source in mind there coming from Texas's side. There are 2 sides to every story.

From Byrne yesterday.
Three or four years ago we talked about doing a joint flagship channel. I liked the idea, but our fans should know me better than to think I would pass on a $150 million deal for Texas A&M. That never happened.

Ive also heard that texas proposed a 75/25 revenue split. No **** theyre going to turn that down.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

That's really the entire history of the Big XII as much as it relates to Nebraska and aTm. Both were on board with unequal revenue sharing, both couldn't capitalize on the opportunity. When it didn't work out, they power-whined about Texas being the big dog.

Same story with LHN. aTM coulda been in on it, and like I said, I can *kinda* understand the decision, but now, you don't complain that it's working out for them. You step back and say "Crap, screwed that one up, what can I do to make up for it."

aTm and Nebraska are THE source of the turmoil in the Big XII, not Texas. I'm no Texas fan, but you don't hate the winner if you set the rules of the game and lose playing by them.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
There are exceptions, such as the Ivy League, but as a general statement it is very correct to say that Iowa State benefits academically from being in a BCS league.

They definitely benefit... helps enrollment, alumni involvement and donations, keeps the "name" visible, etc.

Not only Iowa State... the entire state of Iowa benefits from having Iowa State (and Iowa) as members of prestigous BCS conferences.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
AF has major growth potential, IMO.

They are located in (more or less) the same media market as CSU and had double the attendance. They were a few thousand short of CU, actually.

There's also potential for national interest with them being a service academy.

Not to mention they've been right around the edge of the top 25 in recent years and CSU has been pretty bad. They'd have won their share of Big 12 games the last couple years, not saying they'd have won a division, but they'd have competed.

AFA is the second best realistic option in the mountain region (behind BYU). I'd think New Mexico might be better than CSU. BSU has the obvious issues that have been pointed out many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.