The Last of Us HBO series

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I wasn't going to watch the show but I decided to give it a shot. I really liked the first 2 episodes. I'm not bothered too much by scary movies and tv shows, but scary games freak me the **** out. The idea of trying to sneak around clickers sounds ******* horrible.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Now that the Purdy show is over, super psyched for episode 3 tonight.

I’ve never played any of the games. How much has the show deviated from the games in the first 2 episodes. Is this mostly still the same story? Tess and Joel on a battery quest until they get sidetracked into taking this girl west?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Now that the Purdy show is over, super psyched for episode 3 tonight.

I’ve never played any of the games. How much has the show deviated from the games in the first 2 episodes. Is this mostly still the same story? Tess and Joel on a battery quest until they get sidetracked into taking this girl west?

Incredibly close so far. They've changed a few rules of the fungus, in the game you can be infected by airborne spoors so they had masks sometimes, the proximity thing doesn't exist, and the fungus doesn't move around like that last scene where it comes out of his mouth.

The only big story thing I've noticed so far is how that last scene played out. Pretty sure in the game it's FEDRA that kills all the fireflies and Tess stays behind to stall them long enough for Joel and Ellie to escape.

Reactions: FerShizzle

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Incredibly close so far. They've changed a few rules of the fungus, in the game you can be infected by airborne spoors so they had masks sometimes, the proximity thing doesn't exist, and the fungus doesn't move around like that last scene where it comes out of his mouth.
Ya. I think they talked about spores vs tendrils after the episode last weeks. Makes sense from a visual standpoint. You don’t want the actors in masks all the time. It’s hard to look scared or worried or mad or happy in a mask.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The only big story thing I've noticed so far is how that last scene played out. Pretty sure in the game it's FEDRA that kills all the fireflies and Tess stays behind to stall them long enough for Joel and Ellie to escape.

And honestly I think both of these changes make some sense.

The other change is that in the original story, Joel and Tess weren't originally trying to get a battery, nor was Joel really looking for Tommy at that point. They were screwed by Robert on a deal for weapons so you go after him and find out he sold those weapons to Robert instead (Marlene shoots him in the face after he gives up the info). This leads you to Marlene and the fireflies, who promises you more weapons if you help smuggle Ellie out of the QZ to the fireflies at the State House, who were going to get her west. Just as in the show, you find them all killed. This is where Joel decides to find Tommy, because he was a firefly and may know how to locate the group.

In the game, the car\battery comes up later when you end up at Bill's, he helps you get a vehicle and you end up needing to acquire a battery for it.

So they kind of condensed those two stories into one, and have changed things a bit to make Joel\Tess a bit more sympathetic.

Last edited:

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Man, what a beautiful story they told.

im a little sad we won't see the Bill and Ellie interactions though
it was amazing! we're hoping there isn't backlash for it. there undoubtedly be too many that can't stomach such an immoral and unnatural relationship. (obviously heavy sarcasm). But **** them...if something like that episode upsets you or makes you uncomfortable you have a lot of things wrong with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CY88CE11 and tm3308

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
it was amazing! we're hoping there isn't backlash for it. there undoubtedly be too many that can't stomach such an immoral and unnatural relationship. (obviously heavy sarcasm). But fuckk them...if something like that episode upsets you or makes you uncomfortable you have a lot of things wrong with you.

Fortunately I think the tv audience, especially the HBO audience, is a bit more able to handle it than some gamers and also than how they used to be

Also:
(Game\future spoilers )

they should probably get used to it, given Ellie's relationships with Riley and Dina.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Fortunately I think the tv audience, especially the HBO audience, is a bit more able to handle it than some gamers and also than how they used to be

Also:
(Game\future spoilers )

they should probably get used to it, given Ellie's relationships with Riley and Dina.
My better half is ten years younger and he doesn't know who Linda Rondstadt is. That part was hilarious with the piano book.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Picking nits here.

• The city is crumbling after years of neglect after the bombing. Yet the walking trail and gravel road they were traveling outside the city looked prestine. I'd love to have trails groomed that well even without a pandemic that killed everyone.
  • Gasoline has a shelf life. How is that S10 still running on 20 year old gas?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Rewatching episode 3 now. It was so good. Tense, tender, and full of life. Really jacked for the rest of this show.

I’m really glad I haven’t played any of this game or know anything about it. It’s made for a really enjoyable experience so far. If you didn’t know, you would not think this to be based on a video game. I can see why this game is so highly thought of but PlayStation is for the youths. PC master race!