The Last of Us HBO series

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Rewatching episode 3 now. It was so good. Tense, tender, and full of life. Really jacked for the rest of this show.

I’m really glad I haven’t played any of this game or know anything about it. It’s made for a really enjoyable experience so far. If you didn’t know, you would not think this to be based on a video game. I can see why this game is so highly thought of but PlayStation is for the youths. PC master race!

Its funny you say this- I grew up on PC games, and built my own back in the day, but have been much more about consoles as an adult. Something about something that 'just works' especially when playing on a big screen.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Episode three is going to earn some hardware. I thought it was a brilliant story, masterfully told.

What an acting stretch for Offerman to play a incell prepper that’s gay. That came out of left field, yet was so powerful in framing up life after everyone’s world was turned upside down due to infection.

It also was nice how they jumped time and seamlessly married both story lines together, even explaining the end of episode 1 where we see the radio light up and play Depech Mode.

So far, I enjoy the show and am optimistic about the ensuing episodes.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I cried. That's not saying much now that I'm a middle aged dad with 4 daughters, but it was touching and sad, and they did a great job of weaving it into the storyline with his letter to Joel.

I'm sure there are some 4chan incels organizing a negative review campaign as we speak.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I cried. That's not saying much now that I'm a middle aged dad with 4 daughters, but it was touching and sad, and they did a great job of weaving it into the storyline with his letter to Joel.

I'm sure there are some 4chan incels organizing a negative review campaign as we speak.

I've been surprised how good all three episodes were, but that one was really great. As a fan of a wide range of apocalyptic stuff the "only man on earth" scenes are always interesting to me and Ep3 was one of the best takes. The old Twilight Zone where the guy just uses alone time to read, the quirky The Last Man on Earth with Will Forte, The Road, I am Legend, etc...

I was laughing at how triggered it might make some that the guy's survivalist lifestyle was a facade. The back and forth about his paranoia over the government being nazis and how they actually are nazis "but not back then"...that particular scene was perfect. They're both right.

In a lot of these apocalypse shows the comics and books do a better job of getting into the details of the world and atmosphere, but so far this show is nailing the details of the setting. I think that was a big part of Game of Thrones success, it wasn't afraid to get into tiny details of the rich world. Made it hard to follow for some but I think it was part of the success formula.

At first I thought it wouldn't be that big a difference if a zombie plague is transmitted by fungus vs virus, but being able to SEE the infection is shockingly gross/scary/cool.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Making us care so deeply about those characters that we only knew for one episode? That’s just great filmmaking.

I had no idea we’d get a show like that, in the third episode no less. But damn if they didn’t nail it. Best thing I’ve watched in a long time.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Rewatching episode 3 now. It was so good. Tense, tender, and full of life. Really jacked for the rest of this show.

I’m really glad I haven’t played any of this game or know anything about it. It’s made for a really enjoyable experience so far. If you didn’t know, you would not think this to be based on a video game. I can see why this game is so highly thought of but PlayStation is for the youths. PC master race!
There's been enough difference that it's kept the game players guessing some too. Ep 3 was prime example.

My wife kept saying they would both commit suicide and I just nodded my head knowingly. Then they did and I about ****.

Oh, and I'm an old man console player:)

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Episode 3 was a great example of building upon an existing story and making small changes to add depth.

Reactions: CloneIce

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
At first I thought it wouldn't be that big a difference if a zombie plague is transmitted by fungus vs virus, but being able to SEE the infection is shockingly gross/scary/cool.

I wonder how much they’ll get into exactly what’s happening when a human is infected, the different stages, why clickers are the way they are etc. It’s a step up over the body horror stuff we’ve already seen.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Have any of you that didn't play the games noticed the music? Not talking about Linda Rondstadt or Depeche Mode but the background music. Gustavo Santaolalla composes all of the games' music and it is fantastic. I'm so glad they kept it in the show. I listen to the soundtracks pretty much every day while working.

Reactions: bstegs

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Have any of you that didn't play the games noticed the music? Not talking about Linda Rondstadt or Depeche Mode but the background music. Gustavo Santaolalla composes all of the games' music and it is fantastic. I'm so glad they kept it in the show. I listen to the soundtracks pretty much every day while working.
I was wondering if that was the case. You’re taking about the slow guitar that plays in the opening credits and throughout the show?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I kept thinking that Frank would betray him at some point. I wanted to to trust him but I was just as paranoid a Bill. Hahahahaaha

Yup. Thought for sure when he sat down at the piano to play some Linda Ronstadt he was going to get a shovel to the back of the head or something.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Richter's " On the Nature of Daylight" is good at drawing tears. This is the same song that plays at the end of Arrival. If you know the scene you know tears were shed.

Reactions: dahliaclone

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Episode 3 was a great example of building upon an existing story and making small changes to add depth.
It was much better than the relationship they had in the game. Props for that. No props for a super survivalist standing in the middle of the street taking pot shots with a bolt action rifle. Dude....

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: Cyclonsin and JCity

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Richter's " On the Nature of Daylight" is good at drawing tears. This is the same song that plays at the end of Arrival. If you know the scene you know tears were shed.
It's used so many places.

Arrival
Shutter Island
Handmaid's Tale
Stranger than Fiction

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

I love Melanie Lynskey so much. She's always been one in our corner. This thread is hilarious.

Reactions: NorthCyd

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron