Solo: A Star Wars Story

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
OK, I wanted to weigh in on this. First off, the trailer looked good and no doubt I'll be going to see the movie probably opening night. And it is cool that Ron Howard is directing. BUT, I get kind of annoyed at the need to explain every single thing about the SW OT. I mean, one of the best things about those films was the things that they left up to the imagination. When I was a kid, we used to play and imagine how the rebels got the Death Star plans or what happened in the Clone Wars or how Darth Vader hunted down the Jedi. Now, since no one seems to have any new ideas and they know they can make money, they've decided to lay the whole thing out there by explaining every single back story. I'm sure in this movie, we'll see the Kessel Run, watch Han meet Chewbacca and see him win the Falcon from Lando. There's no more leaving anything up to the imagination...just continual replaying of backstories. I'm sure that there's a Kenobi and a Vader film coming down the line.

Personally, I agree with Ted Flint on Twitter, that a Lando movie would be a lot more interesting. Something that is not so integral to the OT.

I've always been a huge SW fan, but after seeing both a few times, who out there actually thinks that The Last Jedi or The Force Awakens is better than Thor Ragnorok? I don't.

I'm probably about as big of a Star Wars fan as there is, but the stories need new blood BADLY in my opinion. I'm going to go ahead and say that my favorite Star Wars story since the OT is the currently running cartoon Star Wars Rebels. Great show, new characters, and a dash of old too, and I don't actually know what's going to happen at the end.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So, what are the chances that this is the event where Jabba puts a bounty on Han?

lnum7jzcbkxe6sfu2h8u.gif

After all:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

What if it wasn't an Imperial Cruiser that made Han dump his cargo - what if it was a double-cross of Jabba and Han & Co were going to keep the shipment?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not the good half that actually enjoy discussing things rationally and as adults. @alarson and his ilk have problems with different opinions than their own.

Nah, i have problems with people who think they are the smartest person in every room they enter (at least 50% of posts would fit in well on /r/iamverysmart), and whose posts are usually long without adding anything worthwhile to justify that length.

Clear and concise writing is effective writing. You consistently write like someone stretching a paragraph into a 2 page report because you need to meet a length guideline. It adds nothing and everyone's time is wasted for having read it.

If i 'couldnt stand opposing viewpoints', i'd have a much larger ignore list than the 3 it currently sits at. (Sig, Wesleybot, and 1173) But you waste everyone's time through sheer verbosity and argue in bad faith, pretending to be something you're not.

I think his problem is that he fails to see the problem in his own statement. Of course the Disney sequels are the same thing as the original trilogy.
That is the problem.
They play as self-referential clip shows, not grand science fiction/space opera adventures.

This isnt how those movies are at all. And its not even what was being referred to when i say 'those things were in the original films', without the typical sig-twisting. For example, if one wants to whine about Porgs, yet forgets the same kinds of things were in the other movies. That's not a 'self-referential element', thats simply including a flavor that's been in all of the other movies. If the movies didn't have a lot of the same flavors, they wouldnt be star wars movies.

There's a reason the critics had an above 90% rating for TLJ. The criticism of this movie comes from a vocal minority, often coming from some of the most toxic places on the internet in general.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Nah, i have problems with people who think they are the smartest person in every room they enter (at least 50% of posts would fit in well on /r/iamverysmart), and whose posts are usually long without adding anything worthwhile to justify that length.

Clear and concise writing is effective writing. You consistently write like someone stretching a paragraph into a 2 page report because you need to meet a length guideline. It adds nothing and everyone's time is wasted for having read it.

If i 'couldnt stand opposing viewpoints', i'd have a much larger ignore list than the 3 it currently sits at. (Sig, Wesleybot, and 1173) But you waste everyone's time through sheer verbosity and argue in bad faith, pretending to be something you're not.

This isnt how those movies are at all. And its not even what was being referred to when i say 'those things were in the original films', without the typical sig-twisting. For example, if one wants to whine about Porgs, yet forgets the same kinds of things were in the other movies. That's not a 'self-referential element', thats simply including a flavor that's been in all of the other movies. If the movies didn't have a lot of the same flavors, they wouldnt be star wars movies.

There's a reason the critics had an above 90% rating for TLJ. The criticism of this movie comes from a vocal minority, often coming from some of the most toxic places on the internet in general.

Your complaint about verbosity has merit but is rather antiquated at this point.

You and others made the complaint, I listened, and I have made it a point to cut down. I cannot think of anything recently that pushed over 300 words.

Even then, a few hundred words should not threaten an educated mind.

I am open to constructive criticism like that.

The most recent exchange where you pridefully declared that you were blocking me was over a post that was approximately 200 words long.

The one you just offered above was 127 -- really much of a difference?

You are just dredging up an old complaint and bromide in bad faith because you do not like that somebody is not backing down from you.

I have nobody blocked. The moderators do a good job here upholding the code of conduct, so I have no need myself to trim out any offensive or inappropriate content. Your attempts to use length/threats of blocking to suppress debate is juvenile.

Come on, you can do better.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site

tl;dr

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Gosh, your first paragraph, a tense political thriller combined with a brutal war movie covering the Clone Wars and all occupying the most imaginative science fiction universe of pop culture, sounds about a million times better than what we actually got.

I've read a few peoples fan fiction rehashes of the prequels, and it makes me want a remake of the prequels so bad. Here's just a few changes that would make them so much better. Beyond just having a real scriptwriter handle the dialogue and not having Lucas try and direct the dialogue so terribly.

1. Anakin is a teenager in episode one. Same age or slightly younger than Padme. A cocky teenager that Padme would realistically have a relationship with and be attracted to. Also a teen who you could actually see going to the darkside and not a wide eyed 9 year old who is sad about leaving his mommy. Make him an orphan who already saw his mom die. No one mentions midichlorians, EVER. Or a virgin birth, yada yada. We also don't need a prophecy or a chosen one. Just make him a ridiculously strong force user who is gritty and jaded.

2. No Jar Jar... ever. Make episode one about Qui Gon and Kenobi going to Naboo, to negotiate peace between a Separatist army and the Naboo army. No gungans to fight a silly battle with droids. If you want to make the Separatist army droids then fine, do it. But don't make them cartoonishly inept. Make them similar to the force that actually fights the Clones in the episodes 2 and 3. And make Darth Maul the leader of the Separatists but only reveal that he's a Sith lord at the end battle of Ep 1.

3. Darth Maul does not die in Episode 1 and is a major villain through all three prequels. He kills Qui Gon in episode one and become the major driving force for ObiWan and his new padawan through two more movies. No need for a bad guy of the week apprentice for each movie. Greivous can be another leader of the Separatist army, but have him be in 2 and 3 to establish him as a real character. Don't be so literal with the "Rule of 2" or don't have it exist at all. There used to be LOTS of Sith Lords so at some point there was more than ONE Master. If you want to have Count Dooku be in the movies as a former jedi trying to sway the remaining jedi to side with the Separatists, so be it. Make him the red herring Sith Master for Maul. Maul can be the main antagonist in episode 2 and die at the beginning of episode three by Anakins hand, similar to how he killed Dooku, in a uncivilized manner.

4. Make Palpatine's plotting more subtle so we don't see that he's behind the entire Separatist movement for at least the whole first movie. Make everything seem like it came from Maul or Dooku. Episode 2 can be more about the Clone Wars than about the Anakin/Padme love story. But put them together a few years older, and have them rekindle the attraction they had in Episode 1 when they were BOTH teenagers. Have Anakin save her life, so she actually falls for him and doesn't need to be convinced. Anakin is then expelled from the Jedi order for his relationship with Padme, forcing him to turn to a new master, who twists him with promises of power and rebuilding the galaxy by their design.

Or just make pretty much the same story with better dialogue/directing and no Gungans.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I have overall enjoyed the new string of star wars movies. I actually was slightly against the stand-alone films in the beginning as I thought that they needed to move forward in time (forward starting with the Force Awakens) as opposed to doing stories back in time. I still think this strategy would have been better anyways as they could have created a Marvel-like story arc.

Having said that, I very much enjoyed Rogue One, probably more so than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Of the three movies that have been made, I have enjoyed them all and continue to look forward to new movies they will make, including Han Solo.

I do share the same sentiment as some have said (in other forms of media) in that the new cannon material needs to be incorporated more into the new movies.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have overall enjoyed the new string of star wars movies. I actually was slightly against the stand-alone films in the beginning as I thought that they needed to move forward in time (forward starting with the Force Awakens) as opposed to doing stories back in time. I still think this strategy would have been better anyways as they could have created a Marvel-like story arc.

Having said that, I very much enjoyed Rogue One, probably more so than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Of the three movies that have been made, I have enjoyed them all and continue to look forward to new movies they will make, including Han Solo.

I do share the same sentiment as some have said (in other forms of media) in that the new cannon material needs to be incorporated more into the new movies.

Rogue One was easily the best Star Wars film since the 1980s.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What really sucks is you can't even have a thread about Star Wars anymore without it turning in to a bunch of toxic bull ****.

Man, I thought Cyclones vs. Hawkeyes got ugly on here, but this ongoing nerd fight about Star Wars is just brutally vicious. I was halfway expecting someone to tell someone to meet them in an alley somewhere after work.

And I write that as someone who owns the original trilogy and Rogue One, and also saw TLJ in theaters twice.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Not looking forward to it for some reason.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Dude....there is a statue of limitations on trying to mock......Are you going back through my old posts to find opportunities to put Simpsons memes? Go back to Facebook.

So your so-called "statute of limitations" of memeing posts is what - 4 months? I've had posts of mine get memed a decade after I posted them. So what exactly makes you such a special little snowflake that makes your posts off limits after this magical number?

• Dislike
Reactions: dirtyninety

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've read a few peoples fan fiction rehashes of the prequels, and it makes me want a remake of the prequels so bad. Here's just a few changes that would make them so much better. Beyond just having a real scriptwriter handle the dialogue and not having Lucas try and direct the dialogue so terribly.

1. Anakin is a teenager in episode one. Same age or slightly younger than Padme. A cocky teenager that Padme would realistically have a relationship with and be attracted to. Also a teen who you could actually see going to the darkside and not a wide eyed 9 year old who is sad about leaving his mommy. Make him an orphan who already saw his mom die. No one mentions midichlorians, EVER. Or a virgin birth, yada yada. We also don't need a prophecy or a chosen one. Just make him a ridiculously strong force user who is gritty and jaded.

2. No Jar Jar... ever. Make episode one about Qui Gon and Kenobi going to Naboo, to negotiate peace between a Separatist army and the Naboo army. No gungans to fight a silly battle with droids. If you want to make the Separatist army droids then fine, do it. But don't make them cartoonishly inept. Make them similar to the force that actually fights the Clones in the episodes 2 and 3. And make Darth Maul the leader of the Separatists but only reveal that he's a Sith lord at the end battle of Ep 1.

3. Darth Maul does not die in Episode 1 and is a major villain through all three prequels. He kills Qui Gon in episode one and become the major driving force for ObiWan and his new padawan through two more movies. No need for a bad guy of the week apprentice for each movie. Greivous can be another leader of the Separatist army, but have him be in 2 and 3 to establish him as a real character. Don't be so literal with the "Rule of 2" or don't have it exist at all. There used to be LOTS of Sith Lords so at some point there was more than ONE Master. If you want to have Count Dooku be in the movies as a former jedi trying to sway the remaining jedi to side with the Separatists, so be it. Make him the red herring Sith Master for Maul. Maul can be the main antagonist in episode 2 and die at the beginning of episode three by Anakins hand, similar to how he killed Dooku, in a uncivilized manner.

4. Make Palpatine's plotting more subtle so we don't see that he's behind the entire Separatist movement for at least the whole first movie. Make everything seem like it came from Maul or Dooku. Episode 2 can be more about the Clone Wars than about the Anakin/Padme love story. But put them together a few years older, and have them rekindle the attraction they had in Episode 1 when they were BOTH teenagers. Have Anakin save her life, so she actually falls for him and doesn't need to be convinced. Anakin is then expelled from the Jedi order for his relationship with Padme, forcing him to turn to a new master, who twists him with promises of power and rebuilding the galaxy by their design.

Or just make pretty much the same story with better dialogue/directing and no Gungans.

I think I love you. I have felt many of the same things over the years.

Just some ideas to build on this...

(1.)

Make Anakin basically Han Solo with force powers -- intelligent, charming, dashing, handsome, but deeply troubled by lonesomeness and cynicism.

Yes, an orphan, his family killed by some lawlessness in the galaxy.

Like you said, make him a teenager, about Luke's age, and something of a gear-head prodigy as a pilot. I think us discovering him as some sort of savant mechanic who is dominating the pod racing circuit, playing fast and loose with money and his life like Han did as a smuggler, would be a perfect backstory.

No virgin birth stuff.

Cast somebody who can make the audience love him. Leonardo Dicaprio (in blonde mode) from about that era for that handsome and earnest type with an edge.

Do not cast somebody who lacks chemistry with Natalie Portman, though.

Make the relationship dynamic similar to that between Han and Leia or even Kylo and Rey. Attractive couples in a close and sexually-charged relationship, she being the light that is always pulling him away from the darkness within him.

Ironically, probably the best realization of young Anakin is basically Kylo Ren. His outlook, indecision, power, and little fits are what Anakin should have been.

A badass and really cool and fetching, but a scary MFer, too. James Dean the Jedi.

Have him do something heroic at the end of I and II, but eventually get fed up that nothing seems to get better despite the war, deaths, and risks to himself.

And I do mean heroic. His military and combat skills are untouchable.

Then have him uncover the plot... and rather than a trauma forcing him to switch sides, have him go to Palpatine with an ear to listen to him.

Have him be willfully seduced, not reluctantly convinced.

(2.)

The war should have already started. Drop us right into it -- like IV did, like V did on Hoth. Speeds the pacing up considerably.

Make the Separatists actually a threat to something.

I still wish Jar Jar was supposed to be a Sith in the end. :)

(3.)

Right, I have always thought Maul should have been the primary antagonist throughout the prequels, maybe surviving a grievous wound in I and looking for revenge.

(4.) Agreed.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I think I love you. I have felt many of the same things over the years.

Just some ideas to build on this...

(1.)

Make Anakin basically Han Solo with force powers -- intelligent, charming, dashing, handsome, but deeply troubled by lonesomeness and cynicism.

Yes, an orphan, his family killed by some lawlessness in the galaxy.

Like you said, make him a teenager, about Luke's age, and something of a gear-head prodigy as a pilot. I think us discovering him as some sort of savant mechanic who is dominating the pod racing circuit, playing fast and loose with money and his life like Han did as a smuggler, would be a perfect backstory.

No virgin birth stuff.

Cast somebody who can make the audience love him. Leonardo Dicaprio (in blonde mode) from about that era for that handsome and earnest type with an edge.

Do not cast somebody who lacks chemistry with Natalie Portman, though.

Make the relationship dynamic similar to that between Han and Leia or even Kylo and Rey. Attractive couples in a close and sexually-charged relationship, she being the light that is always pulling him away from the darkness within him.

Ironically, probably the best realization of young Anakin is basically Kylo Ren. His outlook, indecision, power, and little fits are what Anakin should have been.

A badass and really cool and fetching, but a scary MFer, too. James Dean the Jedi.

Have him do something heroic at the end of I and II, but eventually get fed up that nothing seems to get better despite the war, deaths, and risks to himself.

And I do mean heroic. His military and combat skills are untouchable.

Then have him uncover the plot... and rather than a trauma forcing him to switch sides, have him go to Palpatine with an ear to listen to him.

Have him be willfully seduced, not reluctantly convinced.

(2.)

The war should have already started. Drop us right into it -- like IV did, like V did on Hoth. Speeds the pacing up considerably.

Make the Separatists actually a threat to something.

I still wish Jar Jar was supposed to be a Sith in the end. :)

(3.)

Right, I have always thought Maul should have been the primary antagonist throughout the prequels, maybe surviving a grievous wound in I and looking for revenge.

(4.) Agreed.

100% on the Anakin is Poe Dameron (just for you, bb).

He should've been the brash pilot leading the Naboo navy against the invasion. He and Padme already had a relationship that had to be kept hidden (commoner pilot and Queen), so his transition to hiding it as a Jedi is in place. Palpatine has sensed his immense force sensitivity for years and shielded it from the Jedi, waiting for the opportunity to fully turn him.

Reactions: Sigmapolis