Rural Speed Cameras on the Way

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
So it is offsetting personnel costs that the city would have had to pay for anyway. I don't have a problem with that. That is money that doesn't have to come from property taxes.

All fines/tickets/whatever generate some sort of revenue. Camera tickets are no different than parking tickets in that aspect. There are abuses and there are legitimate uses. The technology isn't inherently good or evil.

Sometimes I wonder if the same criticisms were given when radar enforcement first started.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So it is offsetting personnel costs that the city would have had to pay for anyway

Or they might have had to actually make the tough calls and make some cuts, instead of offloading more burden onto their constituents.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Or they might have had to actually make the tough calls and make some cuts, instead of offloading more burden onto their constituents.

Exactly- a revenue source to sustain something that may not have otherwise been sustainable. And meanwhile, the people are milked for the financial interests of law enforcement.

Pretty much going to have to end this argument, and agree to disagree. I find it hard to believe how much trust people can place in unfettered exercises of power.

Last edited:

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Exactly- a revenue source to sustain something that may not have otherwise been sustainable. And meanwhile, the people are milked for the financial interests of law enforcement.

Pretty much going to have to end this argument, and agree to disagree. I find it hard to believe how much trust people can place unfettered exercises of power.

I guess it is up the residents to decide what level of city services they are comfortable with. In the end, you get what you pay for. When I call 911, I want a cop to be able to respond and save my butt. I'm willing to pay for that service.

Where are you getting "unfettered exercises of power?" Do you have a right to speed that I don't know about?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
In the end, you get what you pay for.

Not totally, you get what someone else tells you you're going to pay for. I paid differential tuition to be in the College of Business the last two years and the services provided were no different to me than they were as a freshman, sophomore, or junior, they just charged another couple grand a year for them.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I hate the cameras and I'm going to vote against anyone for them. Period.

If that is your only condition then you may end up supporting some very poor candidates that will affect your life in negative ways much more than a speed camera ever would.

tccoach

Apr 22, 2006
Iowa
A portion (not sure the %) of each camera speeding ticket goes to the company that provides the camera and Service, talk about a money making idea.

"Gatsco installs and operates the cameras at no cost, but then takes a portion of each ticket paid to finance the camera system." in the Des Moines area.

Personally, I drive the posted the speed limit, stay to the right, don't care if others want to the drive faster... I just stay out of the way...no worries... I am in no hurry in the my old age.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If that is your only condition then you may end up supporting some very poor candidates that will affect your life in negative ways much more than a speed camera ever would.

I have a feeling that the politicians that are against the cameras agree with most of my other views as well.

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) is the nationally adopted document for determining speed limits. It says...

"The Speed Limit Sign shall display the limit established by law, ordinance, regulation, or as adopted by the authorized agency based on the engineering study."

"The Engineering Study shall include an analysis of the current speed distribution of free-flowing vehicles."

"When a speed limit is posted within a speed zone, it should be within 5 mph of the 85th percentile speed of the free-flowing traffic."

Not only will the engineering study look at the distribution of the free-flowing traffic, but also the characteristics of the roadway. Classification, # of access points, # of lanes, locale, etc.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
cameras essentially move the judgement to the enforecement "officer" from the judicial branch....no good.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
This is REALLY uncharted territory for a reason that nobody in seven pages has even mentioned: This is being pushed by a county sheriff is an elected official. So I can only assume he's not running for re-election. Hope they got good insurance on those cameras that are set up in the small towns because I predict they won't last a week.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The Sheriff is on WHO radio right now and sounds ******.

I'm sure he's telling everybody how it's for everyone's good. Law enforcement people like to do that. If that was the only litmus test for a law we'd have about a million more laws.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
A little bit, I suppose. Just very frustrating to see how many people are willing to easily give the government new abilities without the slightest care to what can be done with them.

Uh, the police have been enforcing speed limits for a while now. Don't drive more than 10 over and you won't get a ticket. You won't help fund any police pensions. All they're doing is getting better at catching people who drive significantly above the posted limit. Would you rather they hire an additional 10 officers to do nothing but monitor a short stretch of 235 all day long? That would be a bigger waste of money via payroll and benefits, not to mention the pensions.