Ric Flair 30 for 30 trailer

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The 4 Horsemen vs Dusty Rhodes!

Flair vs Macho Man when Slick Rick had fake photos showing a romantic relationship with Ms Elizabeth!

Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard in the 'I Quit' match was as bloody and tense as any match ever. They couldn't do that match today

Speaking of Tully Blanchard...that guy was flipping amazing! Arn Anderson on the microphone was top shelf

Saw Flair vs Arn in a steel cage match back in the 90s. The pinnacle of my life so far

What a tragic story she was, one of many in the industry.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hilarity of his 'character' aside, so far this is a reminder that a lot of these people that make it in entertainment found it to be a means to avoid other parts of unfavorable lives.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The Resurrection of Jake the Snake is still the gold standard.

That was a tough watch for me. Hit a little too close to home, but I found it compelling

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Flair's book is great, sort of a wrestling down through the years vibe.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wow. So much learned in that piece. Highest of highest and lowest of lows.

Basically a "How Not to Live Your Life if You Ever Find Yourself Rich and Famous For Dummies." Both rich and broke as hell all at the same time, mostly because of the lifestyle he lived, not to mention his family life was a total wreck. One of the greatest ever that ended up tarnishing his legacy by staying in the game for way too long, part because he was so addicted to it, part because he had no money. You think it'd be awesome to be Ric Flair, and it is - but you're also Richard Fliehr and that's not nearly fun at all, but that's who you really are, not Ric Flair.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Really enjoyed this. Not the most compelling 30 for 30, but solid nonetheless.

This reminded me of how back in the day NWA and even 80's WCW were held in front of really small crowds. WWF certainly had the "big time" feel to their events and telecasts, which unfortunately slanted me more towards that federation.

Don't recall the situation involved, but how did Flair end up back in WCW(mid 90's) after his stint with WWF? I recall WCW for a while was really prying the aging talent off WWF's roster there in the mid-90's and seemed to really enhance their stature because of it.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Still searching for his father's acceptance. Sad 30 for 30.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Really can't understand how he is not on a waiting list for a liver.

"I want 137 Kamikazes!" Drinking from 10 am until 2 am the next morning. Pretty sad story, but for what his body has gone through for the last 40 years kinda surprised he hasn't suffered with any type of memory loss or things to that extent.

He was pretty quick to say how many women he has had.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hate fake wrestling...love me some Nature Boy.

Don't currently watch and was never as big into it as friends growing up but I can't deny the characters, costumes, sayings, etc. in the 80's and 90's were amazing and still very funny to think about.

It seems a lot of the back stories for pro wrestlers are very sad for what condition their body was actually in and where they ended up.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: clone34 and HFCS

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Don't recall the situation involved, but how did Flair end up back in WCW(mid 90's) after his stint with WWF? I recall WCW for a while was really prying the aging talent off WWF's roster there in the mid-90's and seemed to really enhance their stature because of it.

From what I gather from his Wikipedia page, essentially, his contract with WWF ran out and he chose to go back to WCW. Also, from the show last night, Ric is the "old school" NWA-WCW type, and Ric's character was more suited to WCW than WWF (WWF, especially in the 1980s and early '90s, was extremely "cartoony", while WCW's characters were much more real and edgy. It's actually why during the Monday Night Wars I was more of a WCW fan than WWF). The whole reason why Ric left WCW in the first place was "creative differences" - one of the bookers wanted him to shave his hair, alter his image, and become a guy named Spartacus, and when Ric refused he was fired. I'm guessing at the minimum hatchets were buried, although it wouldn't surprise me if axes were dropped on a certain creative team member that decided to come up with that stupid Spartacus gimmick for Ric and then promptly fired him when Ric didn't want to do it. Talk about one of your all-time bonehead moves - firing perhaps the biggest name on your roster because you decided you wanted to kill his money-making gimmick.

It's really interesting you bring up WCW signing WWF's aging talent and the major boost they gained from it in the mid-to-late '90s. While it's absolutely true, it's also what ultimately killed them in the end. Big-time money contracts that WCW really couldn't afford (to the point where much of those names were actually signed directly to the parent company AOL-Time-Warner), but also they gave those guys absolute creative control, and instead of using that power to make the product better and develop the future generation of stars, they used that power to keep themselves at the top and bury the younger talent down the card - all major reasons why Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, and perhaps others I'm blanking on defected from WCW to WWF.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
From what I gather from his Wikipedia page, essentially, his contract with WWF ran out and he chose to go back to WCW. Also, from the show last night, Ric is the "old school" NWA-WCW type, and Ric's character was more suited to WCW than WWF (WWF, especially in the 1980s and early '90s, was extremely "cartoony", while WCW's characters were much more real and edgy. It's actually why during the Monday Night Wars I was more of a WCW fan than WWF). The whole reason why Ric left WCW in the first place was "creative differences" - one of the bookers wanted him to shave his hair, alter his image, and become a guy named Spartacus, and when Ric refused he was fired. I'm guessing at the minimum hatchets were buried, although it wouldn't surprise me if axes were dropped on a certain creative team member that decided to come up with that stupid Spartacus gimmick for Ric and then promptly fired him when Ric didn't want to do it. Talk about one of your all-time bonehead moves - firing perhaps the biggest name on your roster because you decided you wanted to kill his money-making gimmick.

It's really interesting you bring up WCW signing WWF's aging talent and the major boost they gained from it in the mid-to-late '90s. While it's absolutely true, it's also what ultimately killed them in the end. Big-time money contracts that WCW really couldn't afford (to the point where much of those names were actually signed directly to the parent company AOL-Time-Warner), but also they gave those guys absolute creative control, and instead of using that power to make the product better and develop the future generation of stars, they used that power to keep themselves at the top and bury the younger talent down the card - all major reasons why Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, and perhaps others I'm blanking on defected from WCW to WWF.

Guys like "Stunning" Steve Austin?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron