Rhoads on 810 in Kansas City this morning - summary

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
I'm not sure where you get this number. Also, it's not like Iowa State is losing a home game every year as you claim. They'll still be playing seven home games. Plus, they'll now have Texas or Oklahoma coming to town every season. Not to mention Iowa State's highest attended games in history are against UNI for some reason. The Iowa game being canceled just isn't a huge lose in revenue especially with the new Big 12 schedule.

20K tickets sold at 50$ above normal price= $1000000

to my knowledge the price of tickets for uni isnt $90
and Texas and Oklahoma arnt guarantied sell outs because they dont have the regional connection.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
And why not? If the Iowa game is canceled, then fans will have to find another game to focus on especially with the Nebraska game also being canceled. Lots of fans can only come to a couple games a year so they pick the "best" games to attend. If the Iowa and Nebraska games are both gone, then you'll see an increase in the new "best" games which would be Texas and Oklahoma. People make it seem that people are just going to stop going to games if ISU is no longer playing Iowa and Nebraska.

alot of the reasons they sell out are away fans buying tickets. Im sure UNI fans are one of the main reason that that is the most attended game.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
20K tickets sold at 50$ above normal price= $1000000

to my knowledge the price of tickets for uni isnt $90
and Texas and Oklahoma arnt guarantied sell outs because they dont have the regional connection.

The attendance for the last Texas game was more than the attendance for the Nebraska game this year and the attendance for the Oklahoma game was just short of the Nebraska game this year. People show up to more than just Iowa and Nebraska. Also, tickets for UNI this year were damn expensive.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I'm constantly hearing how CPR wants better facilities. I think whether or not he gets the facilities he wants will have a bigger impact on keeping him as our coach than will his future salary.

I caught that part of the interview about facilities. He sounded very pleased about the new scoreboard. He did say they were going to break ground on a new facility next year? And it didn't sound like he was talking about the closing of the south end zone. I don't know about what that could be.

I thought it was funny how he talked about Arnuad, how they caught him still watching tape to help Tiller. Old habits die hard. I think it will be tough for him to be on the sidelines Saturday. Called him one of the best football ambassadors for ISU that we've ever had. Pretty big compliment.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
I should just keep to myself here but despite what most on here kept saying and spewing during the change I do believe (strongly so) that the Con and the Texas influence will have us back to 12 teams by 2013 at the earliest. Too many AD's want that and so does the TV. I think when it finally comes out you will see that the big money network deal will be hashed out in finality only after and not before. Granted we have this till 15 so time is there but don't be surprised if something is going on now.

I think the scheduling down will be a hairball also. Hard for us to get fans to fill the stadium now. Getting them to shell out money for Pudding pie U and others at prices that would have to be put in place for money to be spent on facillities will be much like the NFL's dilemma of butts in seats with games on TV.
If we get a TV package that shows almost all of our games then many fans (including the fair weather ones largely) will stay at home and watch and save the money needed for tix which once again will only go higher!

I know that CPR once he gets his program to his liking and his kids top to bottom would rather play teams that have "impact" and mean something to the big picture of playing for Championships that you have heard him say multiple times! You cannot play for Championships at ISU if you are playing 2 and 3 nobodies each year. You will not get the network views and the recruiting plums by just being a regional game on in the midwest.

I know many want the proverbial cake and eat it too but in this age of cheap high def tv's with mulitple pics and surround sound and warm cozy home sofa's and cheap food and drink, if you don't have an opponent that rings the bell you will have mucho empties at Trice and in college (unlike the pro's) they don't get any revenue off of that in the same way.
I probably should have just kept quiet.................

Last edited:

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
alot of the reasons they sell out are away fans buying tickets. Im sure UNI fans are one of the main reason that that is the most attended game.

Away fans definitely influence ticket sales to those two games, but I would say the casual ISU fan influences tickets more. The casual fan is going to one or two games a year. They're obviously going to pick the hottest game. With no Iowa or Nebraska, they're now going to pick the new hottest game which will most likely be Texas or Oklahoma depending on which one is in town that season. The attendance for those games the last time they were in Ames outstanding.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
The attendance for the last Texas game was more than the attendance for the Nebraska game this year and the attendance for the Oklahoma game was just short of the Nebraska game this year. People show up to more than just Iowa and Nebraska. Also, tickets for UNI this year were damn expensive.

but uni isnt an every year team so that isnt a consistent source like nebraska/iowa was.

and i dont think they charge 90 for they UT/OK game

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
First off, replacing Iowa with some sort of Iowa and Nebraska rotation doesn't help us. The issue is we are now playing 10 BCS opponents per year while most schools out there only play 8 or 9. We are stacking the deck against ourselves.

Second, I don't think much of the increased attendance from the Iowa and Nebraska games is due to ISU fans picking the best games, it is the number of fans from the visiting schools. Throw out the hawk or husker fans and I bet attendance for those games is pretty much in line with other games. For this reason and this reason only UNI would be a good fixture in the schedule going forward. That said, I also hate playing UNI.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
but uni isnt an every year team so that isnt a consistent source like nebraska/iowa was.

and i dont think they charge 90 for they UT/OK game

Oklahoma/Texas is an every year team. We have one or the other at home every year. Since this will be the new must see game, ticket prices will definitely increase. Also, the attendance numbers for those two games were already high; imagine how high they'll be without Iowa or Nebraska on the schedule.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I should just keep to myself here but despite what most on here kept saying and spewing during the change I do believe (strongly so) that the Con and the Texas influence will have us back to 12 teams by 2013 at the earliest. Too many AD's want that and so does the TV. I think when it finally comes out you will see that the big money network deal will be hashed out in finality only after and not before. Granted we have this till 15 so time is there but don't be surprised if something is going on now.

I think the scheduling down will be a hairball also. Hard for us to get fans to fill the stadium now. Getting them to shell out money for Pudding pie U and others at prices that would have to be put in place for money to be spent on facillities will be much like the NFL's dilemma of butts in seats with games on TV.
If we get a TV package that shows almost all of our games then many fans (including the fair weather ones largely) will stay at home and watch and save the money needed for tix which once again will only go higher!

I know that CPR once he gets his program to his liking and his kids top to bottom would rather play teams that have "impact" and mean something to the big picture of playing for Championships that you have heard him say multiple times! You cannot play for Championships at ISU if you are playing 2 and 3 nobodies each year. You will not get the network views and the recruiting plums by just being a regional game on in the midwest.

I know many want the proverbial cake and eat it too but in this age of cheap high def tv's with mulitple pics and surround sound and warm cozy home sofa's and cheap food and drink, if you don't have an opponent that rings the bell you will have mucho empties at Trice and in college (unlike the pro's) they don't get any revenue off of that in the same way.
I probably should have just kept quiet.................

Yeah, I think ticket sales will soar if we schedule a couple more games like Iowa and Utah out of conference. I have heard tons of people on this very board talking about how they really felt they got their money's worth watching our backups try to score a TD in garbage time against some practice squad while we are down by 40 points in a game that was over 2 hours ago. Yeah, that will really have them lining up at the ticket office.

Winning brings fans. Loading up the schedule doesn't bring wins, have to build up the program first so you can compete and win in those marque out of conference matchups. You people pushing for tougher out of conference games are really putting the cart before the horse. Our schedule this year did nothing but crush momentum, dampen spirits, and very likely prevent another bowl trip. And was the attendance at the Utah game really any better than our other early season games? We gained nothing from playing that. Nothing.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yeah, I think ticket sales will soar if we schedule a couple more games like Iowa and Utah out of conference. I have heard tons of people on this very board talking about how they really felt they got their money's worth watching our backups try to score a TD in garbage time against some practice squad while we are down by 40 points in a game that was over 2 hours ago. Yeah, that will really have them lining up at the ticket office.

Winning brings fans. Loading up the schedule doesn't bring wins, have to build up the program first so you can compete and win in those marque out of conference matchups. You people pushing for tougher out of conference games are really putting the cart before the horse. Our schedule this year did nothing but crush momentum, dampen spirits, and very likely prevent another bowl trip. And was the attendance at the Utah game really any better than our other early season games? We gained nothing from playing that. Nothing.

I completely agree. Winning drives attendance more than who you play. Win and the fans will show.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
Oklahoma/Texas is an every year team. We have one or the other at home every year. Since this will be the new must see game, ticket prices will definitely increase. Also, the attendance numbers for those two games were already high; imagine how high they'll be without Iowa or Nebraska on the schedule.

but texas and oklahoma arnt rivals. (well maybe texas now) so that wont bring in away fans for guaranteed sellouts. and are people going to pay double ticket prices to watch the the clones maybe get blown out like this year vs OU.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
but texas and oklahoma arnt rivals. (well maybe texas now) so that wont bring in away fans for guaranteed sellouts. and are people going to pay double ticket prices to watch the the clones maybe get blown out like this year vs OU.

If we're not playing Iowa or Nebraska anymore then a new rival will be fashioned. The Texas attendance was greater than the Nebraska attendance. Do you think away fans drove up the Texas attendance or do you think it was the casual ISU fan showing up that drove up attendance? I will go with the casual ISU fan driving up attendanace because that drive from Texas is a *****. Casual ISU fans do exist and they do attend football games. They've just been picking the Iowa and Nebraska game as their games. Now they get to pick someone else.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I completely agree. Winning drives attendance more than who you play. Win and the fans will show.

Winning only matters at the end of the season for crowds.

People will show up at JTS in Sept and early October for early season games no matter who we play. This has been proven over the past years.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
If we're not playing Iowa or Nebraska anymore then a new rival will be fashioned. The Texas attendance was greater than the Nebraska attendance. Do you think away fans drove up the Texas attendance or do you think it was the casual ISU fan showing up that drove up attendance? I will go with the casual ISU fan driving up attendanace because that drive from Texas is a *****. Casual ISU fans do exist and they do attend football games. They've just been picking the Iowa and Nebraska game as their games. Now they get to pick someone else.

but so far texas and ok were only once every few years or so. if if it becomes regular it might lose its appeal.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Ending the Iowa game makes sense on some levels, but it sucks for fans. Great event for the state, its a big deal every year and a lot of fun. Well other than the last 6 quarters.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ending the Iowa game makes sense on some levels, but it sucks for fans. Great event for the state, its a big deal every year and a lot of fun. Well other than the last 6 quarters.

I, for one, am just fine with gaining a home game every other year, and in the other year not having Ames full of hawks. Half the fun of gameday is the tailgate, and having hawks all over for that i am just fine with doing without.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
We are a pretty big dog this weekend, so if we don't find a way to beat Mizzou, we will end the season 1 win short of a bowl, miss out on an extra month of practice, a bowl game payout, an extra TV appearance, and having our name included in all sorts of post season football discussions on print, radio, and TV. We can't afford that. Replacing Iowa or Utah on the schedule this year with some random MAC or Sun Belt team would fix that problem.

Agree with everything. However, for the bowl game that ISU would/will go to, the expenses are just about a wash with the payout that the Big 12 gets. The bottom tier bowls don't help the schools very much (if at all) financially. For ISU, the big benefit of the bowl is the extra practice and TV appearance (provided the bowl isn't on the NFL Network).

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Winning only matters at the end of the season for crowds.

People will show up at JTS in Sept and early October for early season games no matter who we play. This has been proven over the past years.

Winning actually drives next season's ticket sales because of the "hope" for continued success. Iowa State's average attendances always saw a spike after a bowl win.