Rhoads on 810 in Kansas City this morning - summary

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
I'm not sure where you've gotten this $90 for a ticket to see Iowa or Nebraska. I've never paid more than $65 through the Iowa State ticket office. Fact! Perhaps you mean the resale value which doesn't go to the Iowa State athletic department. Fact!

my ticket to the ISU/nebraska this year game was 90$ (printed on the ticket) others in the same spot 65$

Last edited:

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
and on ISU's ticket page it recommended buying season tickets to ensure the iowa/nebraska ticket. because they where not on sale like the other games. http://www.cyclones.com//pdf7/40555.pdf
see the notes at the bottom half.

so you got people buying tickets to all the games just so they can see the one they want, even if they dont attend the others.

I only see Nebraska on there. Also, single game tickets were sold for that game.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
That's a tough one. Logically it makes sense to drop Iowa, but Iowa is your only real rival. From an outsiders view (I'm a Jayhawk) I think you should drop them like a bad habit. Schedule 3 straight almost sure wins to start the season and try to find a way to at least get 3 more. Playing everybody in the conference is going to be very tough. The entire conference is very young and almost all the teams return everybody. Get rid of anything Big 10, including Iowa.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I am STUNNED that so many are willing to dump the Iowa game. Flabbergasted, actually. Hey - i get the rationale. Its pretty sound actually.

But.

I hate Iowa. I love to hate Iowa. I love the fact i love to hate Iowa. Its impossible for me to genetically produce that kind of bile towards...who...K-State? My gawd people. They are our ONLY rival. And to the dude who said 'we'll find another rival'...ummmmmmm...you don't just pick a rival. Its created. Nurtured. Over coals of acrimony and flames of loathing. My word.

For me, there really is nothing better than beating those clowns. And nothing worse than losing to them. Its that kind of EMOTION that makes it a rivalry that must endure.

i get the dollars & cents. the non-BCS's and the BCS's. I also get the FUNCTIONAL (we need more easy wins given the B12 sked). But i embrace...BIG OL BEAR HUG of an embrace the EMOTIONAL.

Being a fan is functional. Being a fanatic is emotional.

Whew. That feels better. Carry on.

+1
Spot on.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
So if I'm reading this correctly, you purchased a single game ticket for $90 using the same mechanism that everyone else in your section paid $65 for. Something about that doesn't make sense.

it was 90$ on the ticket.
3p53o83le5Y05T05X1aav60d7014c2c301c28.jpg

see the price on them.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
My point is...discussed by who? If you're talking Deace, Miller and Perrault, then you'd be right. But every time CPR and JP have been asked, they said that they prefer to play the game if the Big 11 scheduling can accomodate it. I didn't listen to the interview and maybe the OP is hearing what he wants to hear in CPR's answers, but it sounded like ISU is looking at ending the series because the overall schedule is too difficult. Not that I have an issue with that.

One thing is for sure, if iowa ever wanted out of this series, now is the time. All they have to do is ask the Big 11 to schedule 5 away conference games in the odd years. Then the series is done. They can blame their conference and not look like they are running away. Honestly, I wouldn't blame them if they wanted cupcakes in their noncon. either.

Rhoads didn't specifically say Iowa would be dropped in order to make the schedule easier. I don't think I ever said he did. He did say he wanted two non BCS teams on his schedule every year and that keeping the series going with Iowa might not work.

He was making the point that this year's schedule was brutal and that next year's might be just as bad or worse. He did mention that Iowa's conference schedule would also play into it.

To me, listening to him talk, it was loud and clear that he's not interested in playing that schedule every year with where we're at with our program right now... funds, facilities, players, all of that. The new conference schedule will be difficult enough.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Rhoads didn't specifically say Iowa would be dropped in order to make the schedule easier. I don't think I ever said he did. He did say he wanted two non BCS teams on his schedule every year and that keeping the series going with Iowa might not work.

We've already lost our biggest Big 12 rival. Dropping our in-state rival would not exactly grow our fan base. On the contrary, it would reduce it.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
Well, first off, maybe we shouldn't be playing a team that is trying to pad the BCS resume early in the season while we are still trying to figure out what type of team we are. That Utah game was supposed to be in week 3 before we swapped it with KSU. Can you imagine if we had started the year 1-2 with those Iowa and Utah losses back to back? Disaster.

And if you take a look at the schedule, if we go the cupcake route in non-con the NU and CU games aren't a letdown. Replace Utah with a cupcake and KU was win number 6, we would be talking about bowl destinations before we even play NU and CU. Dump Iowa for a cupcake and we head into those games with 7 wins. Yeah, dropping the last 3 would still be a disappointment, but for ISU and where this program has been, any season that ends in a bowl game is a success even if we are only 6-6. Non-conference scheduling is going to cost us that this year. And I don't think it would be a stretch to say it could do it again in the not too distant future.

I would almost say (like Cy at Heart brought up) that would have been even a better scenario. Heart says we would have to be almost perfect in those 3 games to go. When in reality all we had to do was win 2 of 3 and we are in.
Your worry there if we had played Utah first might have been better. I think we might have beaten KSU then if we got them later. CPR would have us at a better place plust teams would not have had weeks off prior to us. Nebby was not a letdown except the final result. Came down to one play. The last play.
You don't know CPR very well if you think that in your scenario if we go 1-2 that it would be disaster. Utah and OU was worse and look where we were two weeks ago.
Once again as the Coach has said (in his professional opinion) he has a plan in place and a way that he believes will win. He needs his players and his way of coaching. We will find out what his way of winning championships are once he gets in year 4 when it comes to who he wants to play. I think his background with Pitt and Auburn and as a player will have something to do with it moreso than those of us on here. What he cannot control and bothers him due to his many mentions is getting the crowd there and into the game at kickoff. He thinks it will come with what he has planned so we will see.

I hope we win tomorrow so this will all be moot this year. :smile:

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
We've already lost our biggest Big 12 rival. Dropping our in-state rival would not exactly grow our fan base. On the contrary, it would reduce it.

I'm not sure of that. If we're winning and going to bowls, the fans will be follow. There will be plenty of good teams to get up for. Hard to grow the fan base by struggling to go 6-6 every year... or worse. This new conference schedule changes everything, IMO.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I really don't understand why we're wasting money on improving things like soccer and softball facilities. Those sports get their funding from football. Fix football first.

The voice of reason? ISU needs to improve soccer and softball facilities so we can move up in the director's cup....

I think Jamie's on the right track boys, re overall facilities improvement!!!!!!

We're in good hands with Jamie at the helm....and I'm behind Jamie all the way too the top!!!!!!!!!!!

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
I'm not sure of that. If we're winning and going to bowls, the fans will be follow. There will be plenty of good teams to get up for. Hard to grow the fan base by struggling to go 6-6 every year... or worse. This new conference schedule changes everything, IMO.

Think of it this way, under the new conference setup, and with Iowa still on the schedule, which four teams (assuming the two non BCS games are wins) can we feel good about beating every year? Baylor and A&M are on the rise. TT handled MU at home with a first year coach who will have some success. MU is solid now. KU looks like the only weakling and they'll get better with time.

Where are the four wins that we feel confident about? Heck, six wins might not be good enough to get to a bowl. We might need seven. We're all hopeful and confident that Rhoads will get us there. We don't need to make his job any more difficult than it is, IMO.