Rhoads on 810 in Kansas City this morning - summary

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
It's would be the most appealing game with no more Iowa or Nebraska.

they probably would be the big games, but they wouldn't get as big consistently as with iowa/nebraska. would people want to pay 90 dollars for game that they have no real connection to. with friendly rivalrys with neighbors and friends, the iowa/nebrska games mean more.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
Yeah, I think ticket sales will soar if we schedule a couple more games like Iowa and Utah out of conference. I have heard tons of people on this very board talking about how they really felt they got their money's worth watching our backups try to score a TD in garbage time against some practice squad while we are down by 40 points in a game that was over 2 hours ago. Yeah, that will really have them lining up at the ticket office.

Winning brings fans. Loading up the schedule doesn't bring wins, have to build up the program first so you can compete and win in those marque out of conference matchups. You people pushing for tougher out of conference games are really putting the cart before the horse. Our schedule this year did nothing but crush momentum, dampen spirits, and very likely prevent another bowl trip. And was the attendance at the Utah game really any better than our other early season games? We gained nothing from playing that. Nothing.

hey aero,
try reading my 3rd paragraph before "you people" pop off a reply about something that is not.
Also, our schedule had nothing to do with crushing momentum since we took the OU and Utah spankings while we were treading water trying to see what type of team we were. It was the "regualr" conference schedule and a badly executed play by a holder and a "complete letdown" (by coaches words) against a Cu team that has us here today!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I, for one, am just fine with gaining a home game every other year, and in the other year not having Ames full of hawks. Half the fun of gameday is the tailgate, and having hawks all over for that i am just fine with doing without.

Me too.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yeah, I think ticket sales will soar if we schedule a couple more games like Iowa and Utah out of conference. I have heard tons of people on this very board talking about how they really felt they got their money's worth watching our backups try to score a TD in garbage time against some practice squad while we are down by 40 points in a game that was over 2 hours ago. Yeah, that will really have them lining up at the ticket office.

Winning brings fans. Loading up the schedule doesn't bring wins, have to build up the program first so you can compete and win in those marque out of conference matchups. You people pushing for tougher out of conference games are really putting the cart before the horse. Our schedule this year did nothing but crush momentum, dampen spirits, and very likely prevent another bowl trip. And was the attendance at the Utah game really any better than our other early season games? We gained nothing from playing that. Nothing.

Agree, we will have plenty of opponets to "ring the bell" with the new B12 schedule and the Iowa game. Playing Utah set this program back because it may have cost us a bowl game and the extra practice. Playing Utah forces us to be almost perfect in the toss up games vs K-State, Kansas, Colorado etc. We cannot be done playing football on November 20th while every other school get X amount more practices and X amount more publicity. Utah game was a disaster in every imaginable way and we should not be playing any team even remotely close to that ever again in the non-conference. Bring in some team we never heard of and drill them, we can't be giving away wins at this point. Having 45K in Jack Trice vs Utah or 42K vs UT San Antonio is meaningless. We need to build a fan base and to do that we need to go to bowls, regardless of how terrible the bowl is, for many years.

Last edited:

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
they probably would be the big games, but they wouldn't get as big consistently as with iowa/nebraska. would people want to pay 90 dollars for game that they have no real connection to. with friendly rivalrys with neighbors and friends, the iowa/nebrska games mean more.

No connection? The connection is Iowa State fans wanting to see Iowa State play. Iowa State fans show up in big numbers for Texas and Oklahoma already.

Texas (2007) : 52, 060
Iowa (2009) : 52, 089
Nebraska (2010) : 51, 159

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree with everything. However, for the bowl game that ISU would/will go to, the expenses are just about a wash with the payout that the Big 12 gets. The bottom tier bowls don't help the schools very much (if at all) financially. For ISU, the big benefit of the bowl is the extra practice and TV appearance (provided the bowl isn't on the NFL Network).

We do get something though. The band was able to get a decent chunk of the extra money to go towards new uniforms.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
No connection? The connection is Iowa State fans wanting to see Iowa State play. Iowa State fans show up in big numbers for Texas and Oklahoma already.

Texas (2007) : 52, 060
Iowa (2009) : 52, 089
Nebraska (2010) : 51, 159

but it doesnt have the same connections as iowa/nebrska. I dont know if texas/OU can hold the interest the same year in and year out.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
If the Big XII goes back to 12 teams (with 2 divisions), the big question would be if we would stay at 9 conference games or go back to 8 like we have now (with 2 divisions).

If it goes back to 8, then it's much easier to keep the Iowa game. We just need to schedule 3 patsies.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
hey aero,
try reading my 3rd paragraph before "you people" pop off a reply about something that is not.
Also, our schedule had nothing to do with crushing momentum since we took the OU and Utah spankings while we were treading water trying to see what type of team we were. It was the "regualr" conference schedule and a badly executed play by a holder and a "complete letdown" (by coaches words) against a Cu team that has us here today!

Well, first off, maybe we shouldn't be playing a team that is trying to pad the BCS resume early in the season while we are still trying to figure out what type of team we are. That Utah game was supposed to be in week 3 before we swapped it with KSU. Can you imagine if we had started the year 1-2 with those Iowa and Utah losses back to back? Disaster.

And if you take a look at the schedule, if we go the cupcake route in non-con the NU and CU games aren't a letdown. Replace Utah with a cupcake and KU was win number 6, we would be talking about bowl destinations before we even play NU and CU. Dump Iowa for a cupcake and we head into those games with 7 wins. Yeah, dropping the last 3 would still be a disappointment, but for ISU and where this program has been, any season that ends in a bowl game is a success even if we are only 6-6. Non-conference scheduling is going to cost us that this year. And I don't think it would be a stretch to say it could do it again in the not too distant future.

Bill Snyder turned a losing program into a perennial bowl contender that can fill up the stadium at a school that has all the built in disadvantages that we do, if not more. We have the model for success staring us in the face in our own conference, I just don't understand why people object to using it.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I think that a problem with losing the iowa game is that ISU would lose the 90$ per ticket sell out at home that brings them a ton of money.

And the game does a TON for the state and for local business. Its a huge event every year. Its basically a holiday in the state of Iowa.

I think it is clear that we are competitive in this series now, albeit not the last couple years. I'm sure in 1997 a lot of ISU fans were wishing we could remove the Hoks from the schedule. Then, low and behold, we beat them the next 5 years in a row. If year after year after year going forward we finish with 5 wins, then I may be able to entertain dropping Iowa for an "easy win". But otherwise, is it worth getting rid of that holiday?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
but that was a "special event" draw not an annual matchup

I can see you're not really interested in a debate with facts. Please prove to me with facts that Iowa State fans only show up for Nebraska and Iowa. I've proven otherwise and will not respond to you anymore unless you present some facts to backup your position.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
I can see you're not really interested in a debate with facts. Please prove to me with facts that Iowa State fans only show up for Nebraska and Iowa. I've proven otherwise and will not respond to you anymore unless you present some facts to backup your position.

visitors make up a good portion of iowa/nebraska game crowd. with people worrying about geting a good crowd on senior day with a bowl game on the line vs a top 15 team, maybe UT/OU wont be a sure sell out.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
visitors make up a good portion of iowa/nebraska game crowd. with people worrying about geting a good crowd on senior day with a bowl game on the line vs a top 15 team, maybe UT/OU wont be a sure sell out.

Your entire post is conjecture. Prove it with facts.

Here's a fact:

In 2008 more people showed up for the Kent State game than for the Nebraska game. Those Kent State fans must really travel well.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
Your entire post is conjecture. Prove it with facts.

Here's a fact:

In 2008 more people showed up for the Kent State game than for the Nebraska game. Those Kent State fans must really travel well.

but the tickets wernt 90 dollars for Kent State. the extra price = a lot more money for ISU

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
but the tickets wernt 90 dollars for Kent State. the extra price = a lot more money for ISU

I'm not sure where you've gotten this $90 for a ticket to see Iowa or Nebraska. I've never paid more than $65 through the Iowa State ticket office. Fact! Perhaps you mean the resale value which doesn't go to the Iowa State athletic department. Fact!

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ending the Iowa game makes sense on some levels, but it sucks for fans. Great event for the state, its a big deal every year and a lot of fun. Well other than the last 6 quarters.

I am STUNNED that so many are willing to dump the Iowa game. Flabbergasted, actually. Hey - i get the rationale. Its pretty sound actually.

But.

I hate Iowa. I love to hate Iowa. I love the fact i love to hate Iowa. Its impossible for me to genetically produce that kind of bile towards...who...K-State? My gawd people. They are our ONLY rival. And to the dude who said 'we'll find another rival'...ummmmmmm...you don't just pick a rival. Its created. Nurtured. Over coals of acrimony and flames of loathing. My word.

For me, there really is nothing better than beating those clowns. And nothing worse than losing to them. Its that kind of EMOTION that makes it a rivalry that must endure.

i get the dollars & cents. the non-BCS's and the BCS's. I also get the FUNCTIONAL (we need more easy wins given the B12 sked). But i embrace...BIG OL BEAR HUG of an embrace the EMOTIONAL.

Being a fan is functional. Being a fanatic is emotional.

Whew. That feels better. Carry on.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I am STUNNED that so many are willing to dump the Iowa game. Flabbergasted, actually. Hey - i get the rationale. Its pretty sound actually.

But.

I hate Iowa. I love to hate Iowa. I love the fact i love to hate Iowa. Its impossible for me to genetically produce that kind of bile towards...who...K-State? My gawd people. They are our ONLY rival. And to the dude who said 'we'll find another rival'...ummmmmmm...you don't just pick a rival. Its created. Nurtured. Over coals of acrimony and flames of loathing. My word.

For me, there really is nothing better than beating those clowns. And nothing worse than losing to them. Its that kind of EMOTION that makes it a rivalry that must endure.

i get the dollars & cents. the non-BCS's and the BCS's. I also get the FUNCTIONAL (we need more easy wins given the B12 sked). But i embrace...BIG OL BEAR HUG of an embrace the EMOTIONAL.

Being a fan is functional. Being a fanatic is emotional.

Whew. That feels better. Carry on.

I only need to know one thing. Would you stop attending football games if ISU no longer played Iowa?

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
and on ISU's ticket page it recommended buying season tickets to ensure the iowa/nebraska ticket. because they where not on sale like the other games. http://www.cyclones.com//pdf7/40555.pdf
see the notes at the bottom half.

so you got people buying tickets to all the games just so they can see the one they want, even if they dont attend the others.