RAGBRAI route

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
This is a great route for me. I have family in both the start and finish towns plus Ames. Too bad they had to throw Coralville in there. Back in 2011 they had 38 Special in Coralville, I think, and maybe Black Crowes another night. Or, I could be mixing up my years

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well they want to set a single route number of riders record on the Ames to Des Moines leg so that day I would think they want people to cross both the official start and stop points for the day. If they get the 100,000 number I saw tossed about that'll be a crazy day. But yes the actual day pass number is capped.
The roads are over crowded for a good portion of the day when they have 15,000 registered and 10-15 k unregistered riders as it is. If they want to set some kind of record they are going to have to provide support on the route and relax the mounties from chasing people out of towns so they get into the overnight before 6 p.m. The road won't safely handle 100,000 between the hours they support.

I highly doubt they are trying to do that.

As it is, our team is disappointed any time we leave the overnight before 0900. The roads are just too crowded early and there are too many people who don't pay attention to what they are doing.

Last edited:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
The roads are over crowded for a good portion of the day when they have 15,000 registered and 10-15 k unregistered riders as it is.
avid cyclist but I'll be avoiding it for specifically that reason. Already planning to escape to MN and ride the trails around Lanesboro.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The roads are over crowded for a good portion of the day when they have 15,000 registered and 10-15 k unregistered riders as it is. If they want to set some kind of record they are going to have to provide support on the route and relax the mounties from chasing people out of towns so they get into the overnight before 6 p.m. The road won't safely handle 100,000 between the hours they support.

They should just shut down I-35 that day - both directions - to handle the bikers between Ames and Des Moines. Easy peasy, problem solved.

:jimlad:

• Creative
Reactions: wxman1 and Cycsk

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
avid cyclist but I'll be avoiding it for specifically that reason. Already planning to escape to MN and ride the trails around Lanesboro.
Did an awesome bike fishing trip there last year. Lots of miles, lots of trout!! Edit - if you’ve never been don’t take a road bike, the trails are rough. Took my steel touring/gravel bike and glad I had it as my 700 x 50 tires were much appreciated!!

I’m actually doing the whole week this year. Going through lots of places that will be easy for us. Plus not sure how many more years my dad will be able to do it. So we are all planning on making the 50th a big one for us.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hoping to get on the Lanesboro trail this weekend.

Great part about living in Northeast Iowa. Within a half hour drive I have the Root River Trail system, the Trout Run and mountain bike trails in Decorah, and the Prairie Farmer from Calmar to Cresco (I can just ride that out my front door). All of these trails have great breweries, bars, restaurants, and views tied in as well.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Hoping to get on the Lanesboro trail this weekend.

Great part about living in Northeast Iowa. Within a half hour drive I have the Root River Trail system, the Trout Run and mountain bike trails in Decorah, and the Prairie Farmer from Calmar to Cresco (I can just ride that out my front door). All of these trails have great breweries, bars, restaurants, and views tied in as well.
I’ve done the Trout Run quite a bit. It’s not a trail you want to do after having one too many drinks, lots of sharp switchbacks and hills. Sometime I need to get up to the Lanesboro and ride.

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
Went to sign up for the Wednesday ride, but it is not an option. any ideas here? Do I need a wristband to get into the concerts?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Went to sign up for the Wednesday ride, but it is not an option. any ideas here? Do I need a wristband to get into the concerts?
Most towns the concerts are free. Don't pay for a single date tag if you are going with some friends.
2008 Ames was $10 for non wristband riders to see Styx, but they donated every dollar to Ames flood relief.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
They should just shut down I-35 that day - both directions - to handle the bikers between Ames and Des Moines. Easy peasy, problem solved.

:jimlad:
You'll still find an idiot from Minnesota in the left lane driving too slow. :jimlad:

Reactions: Al_4_State

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You'll still find an idiot from Minnesota in the left lane driving too slow. :jimlad:
This just happened to this past weekend driving down I-35 to Kansas. Two cars hanging out in the left lane doing about 70 while everyone else is doing 75. They absolutely refused to get over for anybody, went around them and both Minnesota plates.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This just happened to this past weekend driving down I-35 to Kansas. Two cars hanging out in the left lane doing about 70 while everyone else is doing 75. They absolutely refused to get over for anybody, went around them and both Minnesota plates.
There are only two kinds of Minnesota drivers: the people who go 70 in the left lane and refuse to get over, and the ones going (literally) 100MPH. There's no in between.

• Winner
Reactions: GMackey32

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
There are only two kinds of Minnesota drivers: the people who go 70 in the left lane and refuse to get over, and the ones going (literally) 100MPH. There's no in between.
That is so true!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Puerto Ricans drive 40 in both lanes. I always “drive it like I own it” when I’ve rented a car there. NASCAR license is required.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Am I the only one looking at the list of concerts and thinking Meh. Luckily towns like Ames and Des Moines will have lots of options for side parties, etc. Surprisingly I'm probably the most excited to see Bush mainly for the 90s high school nostalgia (and yes I'm fully aware of how that sounds!!)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Am I the only one looking at the list of concerts and thinking Meh. Luckily towns like Ames and Des Moines will have lots of options for side parties, etc. Surprisingly I'm probably the most excited to see Bush mainly for the 90s high school nostalgia (and yes I'm fully aware of how that sounds!!)
Gotta love seeing Bush.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone