Question for those few who dislike the Orr Cyclone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
ohhhh, so it was okay if the primary mark wasn't on everything back then and people wildly supported secondary marks? we should do that today with, oh i dunno, the funnel mark or something?

As the video shows, the primary tornado mark was hardly on anything, apparently because the consumers thought it wreaked so bad that they wouldn't buy apparel that sported it. Clearly, they wanted to buy ISU apparel because there is plenty of it there. If you look in current crowd shots, you see a number of different ISU marks, but you still see the primary logo well represented.

My issue in my recent post above isn't with secondary marks/logos. My issue is with misrepresenting the history of the tornado logo (i.e. implying that it was somehow endorsed by JO by calling it the "Orr Cyclone" and implying that only a few people didn't/don't like it).

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: cynile and drlove

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
jbhtexas: Thanks for your input. You seem to be confused. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough. Allow me to clarify.

That's fine, but your childhood association between JO and the logo doesn't change the fact that JO had nothing to do with that tornado logo.

I have said that a billion times. Here's another time for you. It was originally designed by Roger Gade for Jim Criner.

And you, who clearly knows that fact, calling it the "Orr Cyclone", is just simply dishonest.

Did you gloss over the multiple times where I wrote the Orr Cyclone is what I am calling the 2016 (?) complete redesign by @amestoplease.

You know, a completely different logo from the 1980s Cyclone.

It has a two-tone version, it doesn't have the dated '80s font on top, it's not as rigid and flat. It's inspired by the 1980s period of athletics, a time when Johnny was the face of ISU.

Furthermore, I think the rest of your thread title is dishonest as well. I was attending Iowa State when that logo was in use, and my recollection is that the tornado logo was not well-liked.

Except the thread title is about the 2016 (?) redesign. I'm pretty sure @amestoplease couldn't have created that as a toddler in the 1980s.

The tornado logo was unremarkable and forgettable in its time. Your fetish with the tornado logo doesn't change that.

Yes, it is a logo from its time and can stay there. Please point to where I want the 1980s Cyclone to return?

Here's something from the Orr era that should bring back some happy memories for you. Some good crowd shots in this one. No tornado logos on the player uniforms, cheerleader uniforms, or on the basketball arena equipment that I could see. How much apparel do you see with the tornado logo on it in the crowd shots? For an official logo, it seems to be MIA.

What does that have to do with the 2016 (?) redesign?

I do see an awesome Cy though, which is another topic entirely and one that I suspect you and I would agree on.

As the video shows, the primary tornado mark was hardly on anything, apparently because the consumers thought it wreaked so bad that they wouldn't buy apparel that sported it. Clearly, they wanted to buy ISU apparel because there is plenty of it there. If you look in current crowd shots, you see a number of different ISU marks, but you still see the primary logo well represented.

Fun fact! When Johnny was hired, licensing wasn't really a thing at all. The $4.3 billion giant CLC was created in 1981 and that era barely cared about logos on apparel, let alone collecting royalties. I have never suggested that it was a hot seller during the '80s or used that as justification.

To be fair, that was a great era of fashion with the leg warmers, parachute pants, and zubaz pants, so perhaps you suggest we take inspiration from what people were wearing then?

Note how many people have IOWA STATE apparel in random fonts, etc. That's how many people bought ISU stuff--just going by a random store (Sports Page, Strawberry Patch, etc.) and getting a sweatshirt that the store staff whipped up with a random font.

Completely different era.

While Cy ruled the roost at Hilton, the Cyclone logo was still around in some contexts. During BB games, I remember the scoreboard having the logo with CYCLONE POWER, something that can be seen in this 1987 wrestling photo.

Dh_4hUWVQAEek2d.jpg

Or would you prefer the logo on ESPN from Johnny's 200th win as ISU coach?

Or maybe the 1986 upset of #5 Oklahoma with the logo on the scoreboard, faintly seen at the beginning here:

So, ultimately, when speaking of the history of that logo, it is verifiable fact that I could've stood in Hilton, looked up and seen the logo used in an official capacity, then looked down and seen Coach Orr. That is all I've ever asserted.

My issue is with misrepresenting the history of the tornado logo (i.e. implying that it was somehow endorsed by JO by calling it the "Orr Cyclone" and implying that only a few people didn't/don't like it).

I don't know how Johnny could've endorsed a logo created in 2016 (?) when he passed away in 2013.

Speaking of that new, modern, timeless logo, I put up an admittedly unscientific Twitter poll and 321 people voted 81% in favor of the Orr Cyclone versus the current nickname logo.

Likewise on the official ISU Facebook pages, I saw hundreds of complaints about the current nickname logo and nearly no praise for it.

So in the absence of any evidence offered by you, yes, I think it's fair to suggest that only a few people don't like it, relatively speaking.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Speaking of that new, modern, timeless logo, I put up an admittedly unscientific Twitter poll and 321 people voted 81% in favor of the Orr Cyclone versus the current nickname logo.

You needed to add this tornado to you twitter poll. There never has been any need to replace it with the Criner Tornado, alleged Orr Tornado or the Bugle. Satisfies both the Nado and Walking Cy enthusiasts.
th

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
jbhtexas: Thanks for your input. You seem to be confused. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough. Allow me to clarify.

I'm not confused. I think I have a pretty good idea of what is going on.

I don't know how Johnny could've endorsed a logo created in 2016 (?) when he passed away in 2013.

Then you probably shouldn't be attaching Orr's name to this design if he didn't have anything to do with it, endorse it in any way, or know anything about it, particularly when there exists anecdotal evidence that he didn't really like the cyclone style logos.

I'm curious, do you think it would be ok for someone, years from now after you've passed away, to attach your name to the cyclone logo on the left in the picture above? The reasoning could be something like "Kagavi loved the cyclone style logos, so we are going name the updside down poo logo after him, even though he didn't have anything to do with it."

And here it is again. I think you are trying to drum up support for this logo by attaching Johnny Orr's name to it, and I think doing so is patently dishonest. If you don't see that, then I guess we will just have to disagree.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That's fine, but your childhood association between JO and the logo doesn't change the fact that JO had nothing to do with that tornado logo. And you, who clearly knows that fact, calling it the "Orr Cyclone", is just simply dishonest.

Furthermore, I think the rest of your thread title is dishonest as well. I was attending Iowa State when that logo was in use, and my recollection is that the tornado logo was not well-liked.

Here's something from the Orr era that should bring back some happy memories for you. Some good crowd shots in this one. No tornado logos on the player uniforms, cheerleader uniforms, or on the basketball arena equipment that I could see. How much apparel do you see with the tornado logo on it in the crowd shots? For an official logo, it seems to be MIA.

The tornado logo was unremarkable and forgettable in its time. Your fetish with the tornado logo doesn't change that.

Lighten up. Kagavi is the best thing Iowa State football history has going for it. The guy bought Jack Trice's captain's estate to get a jersey with Jack Ttice's blood on it. Treat him with more respect!

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84 and cynile

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I would love for us to incorporate the Orr logo as our secondary/nickname logo. My only question is if any trademark/ownership issues would/are holding back the University from doing this (the Kagavi redesign specifically, not the original)? Or maybe it's just a sense of professional ego where those in the athletic department don't want to be told how to do their jobs (aka they know best)?
I have always agreed with this thought 110% about the Orrnado!

• Winner
Reactions: cynile

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
For the record, I like both. What I don’t understand is the people that criticize the new one for looking like a poo emoji but love the old logo. With either logo you are gonna have to get past that and it is probably true for any funnel logo.

Attachments

• B7385A90-A2EB-4BC1-9170-B240166EF4EC.jpeg
    B7385A90-A2EB-4BC1-9170-B240166EF4EC.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 40

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
For the record, I like both. What I don’t understand is the people that criticize the new one for looking like a poo emoji but love the old logo. With either logo you are gonna have to get past that and it is probably true for any funnel logo.

You tried, but the 80's logo doesn't look like the poo emoji. It doesn't look like a bugle either.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not reading the whole thread. However, when I was at ISU, EVERY student had a jacket with that “Criner Cyclone” logo on the back.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
All I want to know is where/how I can buy merch with Kagavi's tornado on it. It's dope and I want to wear it

It might make a good poll; show images of an identical gray t-shirt with various logos (same size and position on said shirt) and see what CF wants...

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
All I want to know is where/how I can buy merch with Kagavi's tornado on it. It's dope and I want to wear it

It might make a good poll; show images of an identical gray t-shirt with various logos (same size and position on said shirt) and see what CF wants...

I was just looking for this myself. Kagavi should do a big custom ink order for us

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1 and weR138

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I'm probably in the minority, but I have fond memories of and miss this guy:
iowa-state-cyclones-logo-png-transparent.png

I agree, but not quite because I like the logo itself (it's a bit busy).

I liked it because I really liked the blue that was added to our uniforms. I think the blue really compliments the red and yellow and (used sparingly) can really make uniforms pop and be very unique compared to other schools.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
img_3111-jpg.56428

I imagine Cy is drunk saying, "Draw me like one of your French Girls Jack".

Cy's Roost used to give you a T-shirt with this logo on it, a free hamburger, and a free shot of your choice on your birthday. I wore them until they were nothing but threads.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That tornado is the best logo we've had IMO. I am firmly in your camp Kagavi.

It's really the most memorable 'look' that could be used as a 'brand' universally no matter the uniform combination.

Whoever makes the decision to use that awful design from last year is smoking crack with their grandma.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Football went 6-5 in '86 & '89. It was the 90s that were truly the dark times. Troy Davis, a fluke win over Nebraska, and a couple wins over bad Iowa teams were the lone bright spots.

I would say that the "Dark Days" were the 22 years without a bowl game after Earle Bruce fled to Columbus Ohio.....HellsBells I went to the Okie State game and me and my little brother in law were the only 2 people sitting in the west upper stands....Until a couple kids wandered up for a drink of our brandy.............That was the Criner/Walden years in a nutshell.....NOT GOOD!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm probably in the minority, but I have fond memories of and miss this guy:
iowa-state-cyclones-logo-png-transparent.png
I have a cap with that logo on it and it looks great....the cap is White and the Bill is Blue....Ushered in the Danny Mac era of cyclone football and five straight wins over thee CHOKE eyes

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Again, I am surprised at the people who are still pushing for the Criner logo (it is the Jim Criner logo not the Johnny Orr logo).

Look at these ridiculous uniforms.

DjmIbzQUwAEQYdT.jpg