Question for those few who dislike the Orr Cyclone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'm a realist too. This is not unfeasible.

There were significant factions within ISU who pushed the Orr Cyclone.

There are significant factions within ISU that know the new logo missed the mark.

There are significant factions within ISU that pushed the new logo.

The AD has changed course in the past due to fan feedback. (Recall the 2007 white helmets being changed to red.)

The new logo remains unpopular. Many stores haven't bothered to order new merchandise with it. Revenue talks. Even the few people who don't like the Orr Cyclone often don't like the new logo either.

The opportunity is there for the AD to have an easy win. No reason why the Orr Cyclone can't be the primary nickname logo, while the new logo is a retail mark and one-off logo used elsewhere. Lots of schools do versions of their nickname logos as unique versions for special events, etc. I actually think ISU should have a few more.

Which camp is Jamie Pollard in? That's the one that will win this argument.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Everyone is going to have a difference of opinions on logos.

I agree. But let me give you a professional opinion. The tornado is the best, most versatile and potentially the most recognizable mark ISU has.

Regardless of the ****ty football that it gets associated with it's the best mark we've had as a symbol / logo...ever.

I get it, we're not using it. But we should.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
There is a reason that every time I walk into Scheels there are usually 3 or 4 garments with the 80's Cyclone logo printed on them. Probably more during the fall and Christmas season.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
For me it has nothing to do with bad football. I just plain don't like it. It's hard to explain why, but to me, it looks disproportionate (tall, but extremely wide on top), unwieildy, uncoordinated, weak...like it is just prancing across the prairie instead of actually doing any damage, I disliked it the first time I saw it when I stepped on campus back in 1987, and I still dislike it today. We used to call it the "dancing muumuu".

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The I-State logo is incredible. Love when it is in stencil form too. It should be the MAIN mark for the University forever, going forward.

Hey, I love the Walking Cy logo, but it is super confusing to most NCAA fans outside the state of Iowa. Why the bird when you are Cyclones? Obviously, in the state of Iowa, everyone gets it. Miami rolls out that "U" more than anything too. Yes, they have their bird logo, but everyone mostly associates Miami with their "U." We should do the same with I-State.

Featuring Cy or whirly bird Cy (too busy) as the main logo is a huge mistake. The I-State logo is well-received nationwide. Living in KC, our conference brethren have stated numerous times that the I-State logo is the best logo ISU has ever had. When I travel, I like to have ISU gear on. I-State is always recognized and received well. I always get a "hey, Iowa State!" I just don't understand some of our fans disdain for it. It is a very traditional looking logo, and really ties in well with our conference. It looks awesome. Finally, we have a SOLID logo.

As for the secondary logos, Walking Cy is the best "mascot logo" and the Orr-nado is/should be the "nickname logo." Honestly, I wish the old '78 walking cy could just have the new I-State logo put on his chest and call it a day. Could the football team feature these from time to time? Sure.

The 2017 Tornado logo that came out was an absolute dud. It sucks. It needs to go away. Also, the hurricane cy-head logo needs to get out of town too. Any any McCarney era version logos need to say bye-bye too. They haven't aged well, and I see more and more of our fan base buying the Walking Cy, Orr-nado and I-State items more than those.

/rant.

People like to hate on the I State logo, but it was a slam dunk in terms of branding.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
For me it has nothing to do with bad football. I just plain don't like it. It's hard to explain why, but to me, it looks disproportionate (tall, but extremely wide on top), unwieildy, uncoordinated, weak...like it is just prancing across the prairie, I disliked it the first time I saw it when I stepped on campus back in 1987, and I dislike it today.
A fair point. But tornadoes do dance across the prairie...

I actually find the opposite when examining the shape; It avoids the softness of the bugle/turd by keeping three sharp points. I think what you consider unwieldy, I consider expressing motion well. Plus unwieldy is an accurate description of a tornado.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
I would love for us to incorporate the Orr logo as our secondary/nickname logo. My only question is if any trademark/ownership issues would/are holding back the University from doing this (the Kagavi redesign specifically, not the original)? Or maybe it's just a sense of professional ego where those in the athletic department don't want to be told how to do their jobs (aka they know best)?

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
When I win the Power-ball (and I will), I'm going to make a Big Splash Donation and these will happen!
isu_football_side_concept19-jpg.56165

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I agree. But let me give you a professional opinion. The tornado is the best, most versatile and potentially the most recognizable mark ISU has.

Regardless of the ****ty football that it gets associated with it's the best mark we've had as a symbol / logo...ever.

I get it, we're not using it. But we should.

I like the orr tonado.

I know it wasn't Kagavi's original question, but in your professional opinion, is it better, more versatile and more recognizable than the I State logo?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The Orrnado would look really cool on Nike gear like jackets and sweatpants and stuff. I grew up with the Orrnado and Walking Cy and those are quintessential Iowa State and always will be. However, I like the “I State” as well.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Please do NOT call it the “Orr Cyclone”. Johnny had nothing to do with it, so I’d appreciate the thread title being changed.

And I happen to like that particular logo.

I was thinking the same thing. This is the first time I've ever heard it called the "Orr Cyclone"

I'm good with bringing it back refined, as long as we get rid of cy's head in a circle and bloated cy.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's hard to explain why, but to me, it looks disproportionate (tall, but extremely wide on top), unwieildy, uncoordinated, weak...like it is just prancing across the prairie instead of actually doing any damage.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A fair point. But tornadoes do dance across the prairie...

I actually find the opposite when examining the shape; It avoids the softness of the bugle/turd by keeping three sharp points. I think what you consider unwieldy, I consider expressing motion well. Plus unwieldy is an accurate description of a tornado.

I guess all I can say is that the motion that logo expresses to me is "I might annoy you by blowing your plant stands over".