Question for those few who dislike the Orr Cyclone

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
EDIT: This concerns only the nickname logo. The I-STATE logo stays as the primary school logo!

Regarding the Orr Cyclone, some still cannot let go of ANY association with bad football of the 1980s.

Originally designed by Roger Gade, who worked for ISU for two decades, it first appeared with Criner's teams and was used in various forms as the only school logo with a Cyclone from 1983 to 1995, also during Orr's reign over Hilton Magic and multiple national championships in other sports.

With the current I-STATE logo, Pollard's athletic department redesigned a logo from the 1970s basketball teams. That period was also ISU's worst basketball era ever.

When you look at the current I-STATE logo, do you think of the putrid 1975-76 team that finished 3 - 24? Or maybe you think of Maury John's death?

Don't forget the current I-STATE design first appeared with the, uhhh, less than ideal results of Chizik and McDermott. Is it tarnished by such association?

With the proposed Orr Cyclone logo, the athletic department COULD redesign a logo from the 1980s football teams. That period was a bad era of football, but not the worst ever.

Thus:

1970s I-STATE logo used with BAD basketball, but GOOD football
1980s Cyclone logo used with BAD football, but GOOD basketball

What is the difference????

Pollard's comments in the past (esp. w/ new Cyclone logo) illustrate he doesn't attach any stigmata to logos and poor athletic results, but rather it's some fans that do so. The AD has also listened to fan feedback w/ I-STATE logo rollout in 2007 and Jack Trice throwbacks among other ideas.

Why not again?

The Orr Cyclone could become the Campbell Cyclone. Timeless design transcends, as seen below:

DhxRVYlVAAAvWaO.jpg

Last edited:

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
The I-State logo is incredible. Love when it is in stencil form too. It should be the MAIN mark for the University forever, going forward.

Hey, I love the Walking Cy logo, but it is super confusing to most NCAA fans outside the state of Iowa. Why the bird when you are Cyclones? Obviously, in the state of Iowa, everyone gets it. Miami rolls out that "U" more than anything too. Yes, they have their bird logo, but everyone mostly associates Miami with their "U." We should do the same with I-State.

Featuring Cy or whirly bird Cy (too busy) as the main logo is a huge mistake. The I-State logo is well-received nationwide. Living in KC, our conference brethren have stated numerous times that the I-State logo is the best logo ISU has ever had. When I travel, I like to have ISU gear on. I-State is always recognized and received well. I always get a "hey, Iowa State!" I just don't understand some of our fans disdain for it. It is a very traditional looking logo, and really ties in well with our conference. It looks awesome. Finally, we have a SOLID logo.

As for the secondary logos, Walking Cy is the best "mascot logo" and the Orr-nado is/should be the "nickname logo." Honestly, I wish the old '78 walking cy could just have the new I-State logo put on his chest and call it a day. Could the football team feature these from time to time? Sure.

The 2017 Tornado logo that came out was an absolute dud. It sucks. It needs to go away. Also, the hurricane cy-head logo needs to get out of town too. Any any McCarney era version logos need to say bye-bye too. They haven't aged well, and I see more and more of our fan base buying the Walking Cy, Orr-nado and I-State items more than those.

/rant.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Stop beating the dead horse. If it was going to happen it would have. Jamie is probably the only person in the AD that doesn't read Cyclone Fanatic.

That's your rebuttal?

Was that also your answer to the decades-long movement to rename Cyclone Stadium as Jack Trice Stadium?

Also, FYI, the horse is far from being dead. There are significant supporters of this movement within athletics.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Count me in on wanting the Orr Cyclone used!

Seeing the gloves in front of the helmet in this pic gave me a thought...

The Orr Cyclone could be redesigned to incorporate the Nike swoosh as the top "rung"... think of the additional royalties in that... ;)

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
That's your rebuttal?

Was that also your answer to the decades-long movement to rename Cyclone Stadium as Jack Trice Stadium?

Also, FYI, the horse is far from being dead. There are significant supporters of this movement within athletics.

Everyone is going to have a difference of opinions on logos. I'm not old enough to really know either one from back in the day. It could just be that for some people, football is more important to them than basketball. Some might not remember bad basketball in the 70s, but do remember bad football in the 80s.

I think the Orr cyclone is better than the one they just came up with, but I think the I STATE logo is ideal primary logo and here is why.

When I was in school in the late 80's and 90's (elementary, middle, high school) in eastern iowa, kids were doodling the Tiger Hawk all the time. in notebooks, on bathroom walls. Honestly, it was recognizable and easy to draw. Iowa State didn't have a logo that really worked in that way. The I STATE logo is recognizable and easy to draw. Everyone needs to grafitti the heck about it.

Reactions: bgprest

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Oh, a couple other reasons why bad football might be more ingrained in some minds.

Back in those days, not every game was televised. What would you get, a couple of TV football games a year in the 80s? How many basketball games were televised in the 70s?

Most of the triggers for the logo were probably fans who attended a lot of games. I'm sure there were far more fans attending football games in the 80's than attended basketball games in the 70's.

Plus, the 80's are more recent. The crappy football memories of the 80's might have pushed the bad taste of bad 70's basketball memories out of peoples minds.

Plus, just with a quick google search, I can find far more pictures of the logo being used on 80's football than I can find it being used on 70's basketball.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I edited my original post to state this discussion is purely focused on the nickname logo.

The I-STATE primary school logo should go anywhere. It stays right where it is!

Oh, gotcha. My bad.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That's your rebuttal?

I love your redesigned logo, but they introduced the stupid bugle. Its not gonna happen. Be my guest to try but I'm a realist.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I just don't care for the Orr cyclone logo much. I think I mainly don't like the top band. It's too pointy and somehow too delicate in its appearance. Just doesn't evoke the idea of a storm to me at all. It kind of had to be that way to have the words across the top but without it looks weird to me.

Too bad they screwed up the new alternative cyclone logo so much. It looks like it needs to lose about 15 pounds. And shouldn't have had the cartoon shading.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Why wasn't it used last year instead of developing the new Cyclone logo?

I love your redesigned logo, but they introduced the stupid bugle. Its not gonna happen. Be my guest to try but I'm a realist.

I'm a realist too. This is not unfeasible.

There were significant factions within ISU who pushed the Orr Cyclone.

There are significant factions within ISU that know the new logo missed the mark.

There are significant factions within ISU that pushed the new logo.​

The AD has changed course in the past due to fan feedback. (Recall the 2007 white helmets being changed to red.)

The new logo remains unpopular. Many stores haven't bothered to order new merchandise with it. Revenue talks. Even the few people who don't like the Orr Cyclone often don't like the new logo either.

The opportunity is there for the AD to have an easy win. No reason why the Orr Cyclone can't be the primary nickname logo, while the new logo is a retail mark and one-off logo used elsewhere. Lots of schools do versions of their nickname logos as unique versions for special events, etc. I actually think ISU should have a few more.

EDIT: Here's @amestoplease again with his version of a Cyclone logo inspired by the McCarney years:

Add it to the collection of one-off logos, along with the new Cyclone logo. Fun for one game.