Question for those few who dislike the Orr Cyclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I knew there would be nostalgia for the bird-in-the-blender someday --

Even if it (and the blue) were, by consensus, needing to go circa 2008.

Reactions: wclarson

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It's not the Orr Tornado... It was made for football... It appeared for Criner on helmets. Orr preferred the "Angry Chicken Logo". Which is walking Cy.

I really don't hate the logo. It could be great throw back.

I never really said I hated the logo if you look back at the tweets we had. I just think it is stupid to associate the Tornado logo with Orr.

Also... I'm not old enough to really remember... Was this logo used on basketball jerseys?? I know we had Walking Cy on the Court, but was there any Tornado logo's to be found with basketball??

I just can't call it the Orr Tornado.

Also, the other point... the I State logo is the strongest logo we have had. People recognize it everywhere. I understand it was associated with 1 bad year of basketball, but the logo never got a chance. It's easy to understand who we are.

Understood.

It's still the tORRnado.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I'm probably in the minority, but I have fond memories of and miss this guy:
iowa-state-cyclones-logo-png-transparent.png

Agreed. The end of 15 years of futility happened in that logo. "Seneca was in" happened in that logo. "The Run" happened in that logo. 32-5 happened in that logo.

I miss BlenderCy. He's a tough little guy.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Why not? Because some of us simply don't like it - whether because it's associated with Criner or not.

Why do those of us that don't like it have to provide some grand explanation as to why we don't like it? Don't we have that right?

Nope ... I'm afraid I need you to be out of here by the end of the day. Your final check is in the mail.

If you look at my original post, the intention was to discuss those who "cannot let go of ANY association with bad football of the 1980s" as justification for why the logo is a weak one, by pointing out the similarities with the I-STATE logo and a checkered origin.

Simply not liking the logo is a valid position, but the post is not targeted towards you then.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Spotted the Orr-nado on a new-ish looking sign on the wall, maybe we will see it used more and more

But I was told it was a dead horse.

Hmmm....

Maybe old Kagavi is wise in the ways of the force.

Or maybe I'm the village idiot.

YOU DECIDE!

Seriously, it's all good fun. We are not solving world peace here, it's all shapes and colors and kindergarten crap. Thanks all for the input so far.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I-State Logo. Love it. Orrnado logo leaves anyone outside of the state of Iowa wondering WTF is it?

I-State.......the only Power 5 school that is an I-State. And love the way the A in State is centered over the I......leaving the abbreviation for Iowa.......IA.
I still get, Idaho State? Illinois State? Sadly, Iowa is so inconsequential to people on the east coast.

Reactions: illinoiscyclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
But I was told it was a dead horse.

Hmmm....

Maybe old Kagavi is wise in the ways of the force.

Or maybe I'm the village idiot.

YOU DECIDE!

Seriously, it's all good fun. We are not solving world peace here, it's all shapes and colors and kindergarten crap. Thanks all for the input so far.

Keep the ideas and analysis coming. These threads are always better when you are chiming in.

P.S. What uniform would it take to get you back in Ames for a game?

cynile

May 22, 2017
Amen on the I-State logo

Was in Vegas and a transient opened the door to my cab. As he stuck his hand out for a "tip" he looked at my hat and said

"I-O-WA STATE! My man!"

I-State has paid off. Simple. Good for TV. Accepted by the fans
tenor.gif

cynile

May 22, 2017
I can't speak for others, I hate the logo as it brought back memories of not just Criner (as you know, Orr hated the logo pretty much because of Criner) but of just a bad time at ISU. Football was year 4 into a hibernation that would last another quarter century when the twister was introduced. Football players were committing suicide and robbing restaurants. Alex Espinoza and his East LA talk was wearing me out- there were no positives in football and the TOE had officially surpassed us in that sport and was a national player as well. It just felt bad and the NCAA probation made it worse. Then, you add Gordon Eaton and his disinterested reign to boot. Tailgating was abolished if it included alcohol, budgets cuts stripped programs and classes as well as losing WOI TV thus killing ISU as one of the nation's top journalism programs. That stupid logo was at the front during all of this. The wrestling program was used a Block I and Bill Bergan's program used an Iowa State script also staying away from the football twister.

The I-State was very short lived on the basketball uniforms as you know so it really is not an apples to apples comparison. The band did use the I-State for a very long time and I guess that is something.

All of that said, the logo that you created is different from the twister used in the 80's. Take the Iowa State off of that thing and it looks great and current and it works for me. My proposal is one that you have already in place, use the twister logo( I will not dishonor Coach Orr by associating his name with something he told me that he hated) with no Iowa State script and I am 100% in on working to implement it. The designs you have created that have the scriptless twister look fine and I am actually wanting it as an alternate logo. The bugle must die.
#THEBUGLEMUSTDIE