Question for those few who dislike the Orr Cyclone

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I think we can all agree that this is the best logo, and has the most Iowa State Tradition. We need to find a way to put it on the uniform. Drinking is Iowa State's Brand.

img_3111-jpg.56428

I imagine Cy is drunk saying, "Draw me like one of your French Girls Jack".

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That's your rebuttal?

Was that also your answer to the decades-long movement to rename Cyclone Stadium as Jack Trice Stadium?

Also, FYI, the horse is far from being dead. There are significant supporters of this movement within athletics.

Given the release of new tornado, the horse is dead.

Your insistence on calling the 80s version tornado the Orr Tornado is getting tiresome and borderline obnoxious.

The 80s version tornado has always looked soft and better suited for some coastal school that doesn't play football and that has nothing to do with Criner and his ISU tenure.

Best looking tornado design I've seen is the CF version. Modify that one slightly to remove the CF script and you got something that beats the hell out of the Criner and current AD versions.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Your insistence on calling the 80s version tornado the Orr Tornado is getting tiresome and borderline obnoxious.

The 80s version tornado has always looked soft and better suited for some coastal school that doesn't play football and that has nothing to do with Criner and his ISU tenure.

Best looking tornado design I've seen is the CF version. Modify that one slightly to remove the CF script and you got something that beats the hell out of the Criner and current AD versions.

If you remove the CF script from the CF version, what's left?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

What tornado are you talking about?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com

Thanks for your input.

Simply not liking the logo is fine, but don't misrepresent my position.

I've been open about the origins of the '80s Cyclone as initially designed by Roger Gade for Criner and that period was the golden era for various sport-specific Cy logos. Johnny Orr primarily used the dribbling Cy logo, and the Cyclone logo was the school logo up until 1995 as the only one that had both the "Iowa State" and "nickname" logo together. I have a strong childhood memory association between the Cyclone logo and Johnny Orr (cuz they both = ISU) and I'm not the only one.

Yes, the '80s had poor football (like always), but also a championship pedigree. This is inescapable.

It wasn't just used for football. I seem to recall the Iowa State wrestling team winning the national championship in 1987. That's a great memory, right? Here's a screenshot from a 1987 TV program ... wait ... could it be????

hqdefault.jpg

Look at this photo of members from Iowa State's cross country team that won the national championship in 1989. Wait, on his shirt ... is that ... the Cyclone again???

sub-buzz-3697-1477947239-1.jpg

Wasn't it really cool when Johnny Orr and Barry Stevens started Hilton Magic? I think I want a memorabilia item to remember those moments. Wait ... not again????

Legacy2.jpg

Naturally, it makes sense to be inspired by such a successful decade in Iowa State sports, right?

Look at the photo below. The left logo is the 1980s logo, which I agree can be referred to as the Criner Cyclone. The REDESIGNED logo (by @amestoplease) is on the right. I refer to that as the Orr Cyclone. Nearly every line is different in that logo.

Adding-Jack4.jpg

Finally, you have stated your fondness for the CF logo, which is odd.

Objectively speaking from a design perspective, the CF logo is clearly inspired by the Criner Cyclone. The center "funnel" that the "C" wraps around is misaligned with the rest of the tornado shape (too far to the right). Removing the "letters" reveals a tornado that looks awfully a lot like ... the Criner logo.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I choose to attach my happy memories of being a child in Ames during the Orr era and having Cyclone stuff in my room with that logo. Thus, to me, its the Orr Cyclone.[/QUOTE]

I suppose it is a good thing you didn't have a Tiffany or "Dirty Dancing" movie poster up in your room at the time.

Good for you to block out the memories of the disaster that was the football program at the time under Jim Criner era '83-86 for which the logo was created (and you know that). That logo never went to a bowl game. That logo never beat Iowa (outscored 202-40), Nebraska (outscored 200-43), or Oklahoma (179-35). That logo got put on probation. That logo got beat by Drake. Need i go on? That logo era set the table for Iowa State to flounder into the 1990's financially leading to the cutting of sports. Calling it the Orr Cyclone is akin to Kevin Bacon in Animal House yelling "All is well".

You likely enjoyed Orr so much partially due to the epic failures of the football program at the time which should truly be associated with the logo. Had Criner not lost to Iowa/Nebraska/OU by an average score of 48-9 over 4 years, you wouldn't have looked forward to basketball as much. It should be noted that during Criner's time as football coach, Orr's team was never ranked in the Top 25 in basketball.

If I'm not calling it the Criner era logo (which I don't advocate either), I might as well call it the MEL Logo (Mom's Era Lasagna). Now that was a happy memory. Mmmmm lasagna.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for your input.

Simply not liking the logo is fine, but don't misrepresent my position.

I've been open about the origins of the '80s Cyclone as initially designed by Roger Gade for Criner and that period was the golden era for various sport-specific Cy logos. Johnny Orr primarily used the dribbling Cy logo, and the Cyclone logo was the school logo up until 1995 as the only one that had both the "Iowa State" and "nickname" logo together. I have a strong childhood memory association between the Cyclone logo and Johnny Orr (cuz they both = ISU) and I'm not the only one.

Yes, the '80s had poor football (like always), but also a championship pedigree. This is inescapable.

It wasn't just used for football. I seem to recall the Iowa State wrestling team winning the national championship in 1987. That's a great memory, right? Here's a screenshot from a 1987 TV program ... wait ... could it be????

hqdefault.jpg

Look at this photo of members from Iowa State's cross country team that won the national championship in 1989. Wait, on his shirt ... is that ... the Cyclone again???

Neither the wrestling team or cross country team work that logo when winning titles.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Calling it the Orr Cyclone is akin to Kevin Bacon in Animal House yelling "All is well".

You likely enjoyed Orr so much partially due to the epic failures of the football program at the time which should truly be associated with the logo. Had Criner not lost to Iowa/Nebraska/OU by an average score of 48-9 over 4 years, you wouldn't have looked forward to basketball as much. It should be noted that during Criner's time as football coach, Orr's team was never ranked in the Top 25 in basketball.

If I'm not calling it the Criner era logo (which I don't advocate either), I might as well call it the MEL Logo (Mom's Era Lasagna). Now that was a happy memory. Mmmmm lasagna.

I could go for some lasagna right now.

Yes, Criner wasn't good, and he finished his career with a .405 winning percentage, which was better than:

Jim Walden
Dan McCarney
Gene Chizik
Paul Rhoads​

I wrote in the post directly above yours that I am NOT calling the 1980s logo the Orr Cyclone. I am calling the NEW REDESIGN from 2016 (I think) by @amestoplease the Orr Cyclone as a tribute to the biggest name from the 1980s.

During Criner's time with "that" logo, Johnny Orr only accomplished these things:

Beginning of Hilton Magic w/ upsets (1983 etc.)
First ISU team to modern NCAA tournament (1985)
Second place in Big 8 (1986)
First ISU team to Sweet 16 (1986)
Finished #29 in final NCAA poll (1986)
Barry Stevens & Jeff Hornacek drafted by NBA (1985 + 86)
Stevens & Hornacek & Jeff Grayer named HM All-American (1984 + 85 + 86)​

Awful stuff.

As for your next post, which quoted incorrectly, I never said wrestling or cross country had those logos directly on their uniforms, just that it was the school logo at the time.

That era was pretty casual with logos and uniform design. There were probably 50 different "looks" through all sports.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
i think everyone agrees that iowa state football was bad during this era, but that seems to be the only point that this side of the argument can make. the point is that there was and is more to it than just football. it'd be like saying 'well under paul rhoads iowa state never beat oklahoma and lost by an average score of 45-11 over 6 years...get rid of the ISTATE logo!' there's plenty of positive association with the funnel logo that some people strangely don't want to acknowledge.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I have a strong childhood memory association between the Cyclone logo and Johnny Orr (cuz they both = ISU) and I'm not the only one.

That's fine, but your childhood association between JO and the logo doesn't change the fact that JO had nothing to do with that tornado logo. And you, who clearly knows that fact, calling it the "Orr Cyclone", is just simply dishonest.

Furthermore, I think the rest of your thread title is dishonest as well. I was attending Iowa State when that logo was in use, and my recollection is that the tornado logo was not well-liked.

Here's something from the Orr era that should bring back some happy memories for you. Some good crowd shots in this one. No tornado logos on the player uniforms, cheerleader uniforms, or on the basketball arena equipment that I could see. How much apparel do you see with the tornado logo on it in the crowd shots? For an official logo, it seems to be MIA.

The tornado logo was unremarkable and forgettable in its time. Your fetish with the tornado logo doesn't change that.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
That's fine, but your childhood association between JO and the logo doesn't change the fact that JO had nothing to do with that tornado logo. And you, who clearly knows that fact, calling it the "Orr Cyclone", is just simply dishonest.

Furthermore, I think the rest of your thread title is dishonest as well. I was attending Iowa State when that logo was in use, and my recollection is that the tornado logo was not well-liked.

Here's something from the Orr era that should bring back some happy memories for you. Some good crowd shots in this one. No tornado logos on the player uniforms, cheerleader uniforms, or on the basketball arena equipment that I could see. How much apparel do you see with the tornado logo on it in the crowd shots? For an official logo, it seems to be MIA.

The tornado logo was unremarkable and forgettable in its time. Your fetish with that logo is your business, but it doesn't change that.

can't wait to look back at current crowd shots in 20 years and realize that nobody is wearing barrel-chested Cy, Cy in a toilet, turd emoji, etc. for official logos they sure seem to be MIA.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

Lol, funny.

-Who cares who he calls the 80's tornado - it's an awesome logo. Timeless and awesome. In flat form without the 'Cyclones' typeface, that thing will last forever and be recognizable and awesome.

Soft? Coastal school? Please. IMHO, you're clueless. The new turdnado - now THAT is soft and awful.

CF is the best tornado logo? Um, no offense, but yeah it's cool for a free message board. If my school was using that for it's logo, I'd be embarrassed.

If I ever win the lottery, the Orr-nado will be cememted as the nickname logo along with the flat I-State as the main logo (bevel removed because bevels haven't been cool since 2005).

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
can't wait to look back at current crowd shots in 20 years and realize that nobody is wearing barrel-chested Cy, Cy in a toilet, turd emoji, etc. for official logos they sure seem to be MIA.

Those aren't the official primary logo of Iowa State right now. I-State is the official primary logo, and you will see plenty of them when you look back at current crowd shots 20 years from now.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Exactly. Our current crop of "nickname" and "mascot" logos is embarrassing. Cy in a hurricane is lazy and made for Walmart gear. The turdnado is not even worthy of Walmart. Makes me cringe that Nike was forced to slap that sh*tstorm to a few pieces of gear. A amateur photoshopper could come up with some less high-school-ish in 30 minutes.

The modernized Orr-Nado - please, please please world make this happen. Rid this university of the crap Walmart secondary logos!

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Those aren't the official primary logo of Iowa State right now. I-State is the official primary logo, and you will see plenty of them when you look back at current crowd shots 20 years from now.

ohhhh, so it was okay if the primary mark wasn't on everything back then and people wildly supported secondary marks? we should do that today with, oh i dunno, the funnel mark or something?

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1